Wiki Posts
Search

Nested tickets

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2017, 10:31 am

Programs: DL
Nested tickets

Hi,

I have done lots of reading and searching and cannot really find definitive proof. Please note that I am not asking if it works or likelihood of detection, I am asking if it is legal or does it violate the rules (DL does not specifically state one way or another). I've seen people say it is fine and others say it violates fare rules. I am only concerned about impact to FF account.

International J fares out of JFK are very low at times. As I understand it, this is an example of "nested" tickets - it does not violate Saturday stay, it is not back-to-back, it is two tickets to make one trip. Example:

Fare from CLE-DUB RT in J is $9K

Fare from JFK-DUB RT in J is $4K, A fare from CLE-JFK RT is $1K

Purchase separate tickets for a total of $5K

Or what about using LGA for domestic ticket? Does that even matter since they are co-terminals?

CLE-LGA-CLE

JFK-DUB-JFK

Any proof one way or the other would be appreciated. Thank you

Alternative is to take OAL for domestic portion
Old Dec 12, 2017, 10:43 am

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
You shouldn't have any problems doing this... unless doing so violates minimum stay requirements. Many people similarly do this when positioning to international gateway cities.

I'm doing something like this in a few months because, like you said, tickets from JFK are cheaper than other cities.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 10:46 am

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Perfectly legal per CoC.

Nested tickets are only illegal when an attempt to circumvent min stay restrictions or such.

Your example is simply avoiding married segment issues, which is not against the formal rules.

EDIT: ATL-DUB via JFK is the same. Must buy 2 separate tickets.

Last edited by exwannabe; Dec 12, 2017 at 10:51 am
Old Dec 12, 2017, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by FlyerWx
You shouldn't have any problems doing this... unless doing so violates minimum stay requirements. Many people similarly do this when positioning to international gateway cities.

I'm doing something like this in a few months because, like you said, tickets from JFK are cheaper than other cities.
No sure if the domestic ticket would have Saturday stay requirement, but if it did, the ticket would be fine and would all be flown. But, I am not actually staying in NYC on Saturday....and they would know that since I would be in DUB
Old Dec 12, 2017, 10:54 am

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
There is a third option to check out,

CLE-JFK (one-way ticket)
JFK-DUB-CLE (with likely routing through JFK)

I recently flew the following:

MSP-BOS (layover in Boston for a few days)
BOS-FCO-BOS-MSP

The above ticketing was far less expensive than one ticket for MSP-BOS-FCO-BOS-MSP with the Boston stopover or for MSP-FCO round trip with any intermediary US city. It was also cheaper than nested tickets combining MSP-BOS-MSP and BOS-FCO-BOS.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by exwannabe
Perfectly legal per CoC.

Nested tickets are only illegal when an attempt to circumvent min stay restrictions or such.
You mean like back to back?
Old Dec 12, 2017, 10:59 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
As others have noted, this is 100% fine, totally allowed and you won't have trouble.

Originally Posted by the fonz
Or what about using LGA for domestic ticket? Does that even matter since they are co-terminals?
I'd be curious to see what happens here. If you have a single ticket that files into LGA and out of JFK, delta will give you a cab voucher. I'd be interested to see what they'd do in this case, especially given that you're buying J.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 11:08 am

Originally Posted by pvn
As others have noted, this is 100% fine, totally allowed and you won't have trouble.

I'd be curious to see what happens here. If you have a single ticket that files into LGA and out of JFK, delta will give you a cab voucher. I'd be interested to see what they'd do in this case, especially given that you're buying J.
It would be separate tickets, and I pay for the cab
Old Dec 12, 2017, 11:35 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This is specifically covered in the COC. Must be a "connection" and <6 hours. OP is expressly on separate tickets, so no "connection" and thus no bus ticket or car voucher.

What OP proposes to do is not prohibited by the COC. Take a look at Rule 100 for the specific prohibitions.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I wouldn't be concerned about this. I would recommend sticking to CLE-JFK in/out however in case there are any delays. Best to stay on DL also, since even though you are on separate tickets, they will generally provide you irops protection.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 12:52 pm

Thanks all......I can read Rule 100 a couple of different ways

A If used for travel to a destination other than that specified on the ticket.

Also rule 100 is the domestic COC and in my case I am talking about two tickets, one under Domestic COC and the other is International COC

Yes, I know this works and I'm being paranoid....
Old Dec 13, 2017, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Even if it had "stay requirments" - I really wonder what would happen if enforced.

After all, can an airline (or any other company) mandate where you are and what you do with your life?

They of course can sell a ticket that does not allow a return FLIGHT as a part of a particular ticket for a certain time. That is their right as a business. But, can they tell you what to do with you timeoutside of the actual flight?
Old Dec 13, 2017, 4:44 pm

Programs: DL GM/MM
If you're nervous about it, buy CLE-NYC-CLE on another airline.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by Pharaoh
If you're nervous about it, buy CLE-NYC-CLE on another airline.
That has always been my "backup argument". That shows how insane any real interpretation would be if Delta (or any airline) ever asked. So, I can fly on UA this week, but I can not fly on DL? Or drive?

Years ago, the Saturday night stay was an even bigger financial issue. One-way tickets were ALWAYS expensive. I was do regular trips to a few cities and would buy tickets this way all the time. Had hard copies of course and needed to keep track of which one to use.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 6:54 pm

Programs: Former DL DM and UA 1k, now a J class free agent (UA Gold, AS MVP Gold)
As others have mentioned, not a problem as long as you don’t violate fare rules. I nest tickets all the time - once even nested them 4 tickets deep.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.