Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Nested tickets

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2013, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by davetravels
Yes. I frequently do it, & it usually saves a little bit on taxes when they're booked all together, something about maximum taxes being allowed on 1 ticket, or something.
It's the 9/11 fees and the airport PFCs. 9/11 fees are $2.50 per enplanement, not to exceed $5 OW or $10 RT. While you really shouldn't get a break here, when you book what amounts to two round trips on a single PNR, sometimes it chokes and you do get charged less. Also, a maximum of 4 PFCs can be imposed on a single itinerary, so the more connections you have the bigger break you get here.
Old May 30, 2013, 9:37 am

Programs: DL GM
Yes, that should be possible. Nested tickets only become a problem when you're using them to circumvent weekend stay requirements or otherwise use them to break the fare rules.

It sounds like you're flying to a separate destination on the nested ticket, so that shouldn't be a problem at all. For example, ATL-LGA // LGA-PWM-LGA // LGA-ATL would be perfectly acceptable where the ATL-LGA-ATL is on one ticket, and the LGA-PWM-LGA is on another.

You only run into problems if you start booking something like ATL-LGA // LGA-ATL-LGA // LGA-ATL. In that case, the "outer" round trip may give you a lower fare, even though you're actually making two shorter trips to LaGuardia.

Hope this helps.
Old May 30, 2013, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by KPWM_Spotter
Yes, that should be possible. Nested tickets only become a problem when you're using them to circumvent weekend stay requirements or otherwise use them to break the fare rules.

It sounds like you're flying to a separate destination on the nested ticket, so that shouldn't be a problem at all. For example, ATL-LGA // LGA-PWM-LGA // LGA-ATL would be perfectly acceptable where the ATL-LGA-ATL is on one ticket, and the LGA-PWM-LGA is on another.

You only run into problems if you start booking something like ATL-LGA // LGA-ATL-LGA // LGA-ATL. In that case, the "outer" round trip may give you a lower fare, even though you're actually making two shorter trips to LaGuardia.

Hope this helps.
That's correct and is noted in DL's CoC (as "back-to-back ticketing"). Otherwise doesn't seem to be a problem with nesting.
Old May 30, 2013, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Never had an issue with nested tickets.

In February, did LHR DTW ORD DTW ORD LHR with ORD CDG IST CDG ORD nested in the middle.

Old May 30, 2013, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by rwoman
Never had an issue with nested tickets.

In February, did LHR DTW ORD DTW ORD LHR with ORD CDG IST CDG ORD nested in the middle.

Wow, that's one big nest!
Old May 30, 2013, 10:44 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by javabytes
Also, a maximum of 4 PFCs can be imposed on a single itinerary
After all, how many times can one use the Facilities on a trip?

Old May 30, 2013, 11:41 am

Programs: AA Plat 2MM/UA G MM/DL MM DM 2015/BA Silver/Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by mare0114
Hi All -- I sure this is a somewhat dumb question but was wondering whether it is possible to make a "nested" reservation for DL travel? My BF will be visiting my family for the Christmas holidays (yes, I'm thinking in advance) and then we will be flying back to his family for Boxing Day. I'd like to book our seats out to see his family together. Would it be possible to book a RT ticket within the span of his RT ticket (as he would be flying back again later)?
If the BF ticket is AAA - BBB - AAA and you build a BBB - AAA - BBB inside it is not nested but back to back and would potentially violate the CoC.

If the build inside is BBB - CCC - BBB then it is a nested trip and should be fine.

If the BF is a single ticket as AAA - BBB - AAA - BBB - AAA that's not back to back.
Old Jun 17, 2013, 11:28 am
kpa

Programs: DL GM, SPG Platinum, etc.
Sorry, but another potentially dumb scenario / question...

Just spoke to my travel agent, and she has me a bit freaked that I have done something illegal / violated Delta policy by the following booking that I made online. Here is the travel:

7/8 - ATL to IND
7/12 - IND to DTW
7/14 - DTW to IND
7/21 - ORD to ATL

I booked the outside trips as a multi-destination round trip (i.e. ATL to IND, ORD to ATL were completed under the same booking). I then booked a round trip ticket from IND to DTW, returning from DTW to IND over the weekend.

I have no clue if this resulted in a lower fare than booking ATL to IND, IND to DTW on one reservation and DTW to IND, ORD to ATL on another reservation.

Am I at risk for canceled tickets / loss of SM?
Old Jun 17, 2013, 11:52 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM HH Gold, Marriot Titanium
Originally Posted by kpa
Sorry, but another potentially dumb scenario / question...

Just spoke to my travel agent, and she has me a bit freaked that I have done something illegal / violated Delta policy by the following booking that I made online. Here is the travel:

7/8 - ATL to IND
7/12 - IND to DTW
7/14 - DTW to IND
7/21 - ORD to ATL

I booked the outside trips as a multi-destination round trip (i.e. ATL to IND, ORD to ATL were completed under the same booking). I then booked a round trip ticket from IND to DTW, returning from DTW to IND over the weekend.

I have no clue if this resulted in a lower fare than booking ATL to IND, IND to DTW on one reservation and DTW to IND, ORD to ATL on another reservation.

Am I at risk for canceled tickets / loss of SM?
Technically this is an illegal trip due to the nested nature, but it doesn't really matter. There's a large enough cushion in your itin that if anything goes wrong in the first leg or the third leg that it won't create problems. I'm very doubtful anyone at DL will bat an eye.
Old Jun 17, 2013, 1:20 pm

Programs: DL PM
@KPA If you booked them as multi-city you also might be within the fare rules for your nested trip. In my limited experience, the multi-city often price into the higher cost less-restrictive one way tickets. Did your original (outer) trip book into U fare or higher (e.g., L or K for example?)

If OP's hypothetical itinerary looks like the following:

12/23 AAA-BBB (Ticket 1)
12/26 BBB-CCC (Ticket 2)
12/28 CCC-BBB (Ticket 2)
1/2 BBB-AAA (Ticket 1)

Is that what's referred to as a "Side trip" in the Fare rules, or would the 4 destinations need to be booked on a single ticket to count as a "side trip"?
Old Jun 17, 2013, 1:37 pm
kpa

Programs: DL GM, SPG Platinum, etc.
Originally Posted by jb008
@KPA If you booked them as multi-city you also might be within the fare rules for your nested trip. In my limited experience, the multi-city often price into the higher cost less-restrictive one way tickets. Did your original (outer) trip book into U fare or higher (e.g., L or K for example?)
First Booking:
ATL to IND: X
ORD to ATL: T

Second Booking:
IND to DTW: L
DTW to IND: L

So I believe this makes the answer "no".

I also don't imagine that there is any way for me to "legitimize" my itineraries over these two weeks without incurring a fare change penalty? I booked the outer trips last week. I booked the IND-DTW round trip today. Happy to change in order to put me into the good graces of DL policy, but I'm not willing to pay the $200 change penalty. I don't suppose there is any other "amnesty" option here?
Old Jun 17, 2013, 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by kpa
First Booking:
ATL to IND: X
ORD to ATL: T

Second Booking:
IND to DTW: L
DTW to IND: L

So I believe this makes the answer "no".

I also don't imagine that there is any way for me to "legitimize" my itineraries over these two weeks without incurring a fare change penalty? I booked the outer trips last week. I booked the IND-DTW round trip today. Happy to change in order to put me into the good graces of DL policy, but I'm not willing to pay the $200 change penalty. I don't suppose there is any other "amnesty" option here?
It looks like fares for the "first" one allow side trips... now we need to figure out the definition (which I couldn't find in the CoC) - I tweeted DL Assist for a definition and will update.
Old Jun 17, 2013, 4:41 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Both the OP and kpa's tickets are clearly legit.

DL CoC could invalidate a back to back ticket that is made for the purpose of evading a minimum stay requirement.

"Back to Back Ticking: The issuance, purchase or usage of flight coupons from two or more tickets issued at round trip fares, or the combination of two or more round trip excursion fares end to end on the same ticket for the purpose of circumventing minimum stay requirements"

In practice, you are even less at risk.

If this rule is ever enforced (has anybody heard of such in the last decades), it would be on a commuter interleaving the weekly trips.

There is zero chance of an issue
Old Jun 17, 2013, 6:38 pm

Though no clear answer on what a permitted "side trip" is, even after a call in to DL.

The call rep I spoke with said the AAA-BBB (ticket1), BBB-CCC (ticket 2), CCC-BBB (T2), BBB-AAA (T1) was allowed - but not like they were quoting rules and regs when they said it was A-OK...
Old Jun 17, 2013, 7:12 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by jb008
Though no clear answer on what a permitted "side trip" is, even after a call in to DL. ....
Side trips in a fare rule are wrt adding a trip onto the same ticket, not separate tickets as in this discussion.

AFAIK, a side trip is like an end-on-end, but from a stopover.

Example:

Fare rule 1 goes A->B(stop)->C C->B(connection)->A

Fare rule 2 goes B->D->B

These can be combined by flying A->B->D->B->C C->B->A

They can not be combined on the return because your return ticket does not promise to get you to B.

Last edited by exwannabe; Jun 17, 2013 at 7:30 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.