Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Nested tickets

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2011, 2:08 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
read the fare rules....i can't imagine that what you want to do violates any rule...then you will buy another ticket for the rest of the trip....looks like a good plan...
Old Jul 25, 2011, 2:08 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold
I have been doing something similar without any problems - I take my son to Europe to see the grandparents so we fly AAA-BBB, then I fly BBB-AAA-BBB (separate ticket) for a few weeks, and we return from BBB-AAA on the return leg of the first ticket. It makes the most sense and there's no way I am having my kid on a separate PNR should any problems occur.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 2:42 pm

i thought that if you bought the route mentioned in say July then you purchased something in between a bit later, it would not matter since the bookings were not made to circumvent rules, it couldn't since they were purchased so far apart
Old Jul 25, 2011, 3:19 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
I've done this before and had no problem (bought an award round trip AAA-BBB with dates in Aug and Dec on days I knew I had to fly, and got a BBB-AAA in November).
Old Jul 25, 2011, 3:39 pm

Programs: Ex DL-DM. MM. TWA-Aviator Plat. HHonors-DVIP, MR-Gold. Nat-Emerald. Avis Chairmn.
I have done this for years for my kids in college. I know when they will be leaving for school and returning at the end of the semester. I book those tickets. If they want to come home within the semester, I book that. If they want to go somewhere else within the semester, I book that.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 4:46 pm

thanks all for your helpful responses. Makes me more at ease.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 7:29 pm

Programs: DL Plat AA Gold Airtran Elite HH Diamond Marriott Plat *Wood Plat
1. not illegal, can't go to jail for it
2. i've done more deviant ticketing tricks than this and not had any issues whatsoever. that being said, I've only done it occasionally, so i'd def agree that frequency is a big driver in getting noticed on stuff like this. small timers like us, they don't have time to deal with
Old Jul 25, 2011, 8:27 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
The "classic" case that they are trying to catch is the biz commuter.

Lives in A and works in B Mon-Thur. every week. The non weekend stopovers are more expensive, so he interleaves tickets that all have a weekend stay.

The cases like the OP's where the pax might be technically in violation are not an issue.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 9:46 pm

Most likely legal as it is not used to achieve circumvent minimum stay requirements etc.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 1:59 am

Programs: UA 1K; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Diamond; CCarlson Elite
Originally Posted by gte157q
1. not illegal, can't go to jail for it
Thumbs up here. Can we use proper terminology, please? There's nothing illegal about circumventing Delta's (or anyone else's) business rules. Delta may not like it, but it's not illegal.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 7:57 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM, MR LTT, Hilton D, Hertz PC. National Emerald Exec, UA Silver(thanks to Marriott)
Originally Posted by kcblakely
Thumbs up here. Can we use proper terminology, please? There's nothing illegal about circumventing Delta's (or anyone else's) business rules. Delta may not like it, but it's not illegal.
Correct, but can have you banned from flying them if grossly abused.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 8:09 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by mtkeller
In theory it's illegal, but I believe the CoC specifies it's only actually illegal per the letter of the rule if the booking is made to get around fare rules. I can't honestly imagine DL's IT is sophisticated enough to pick this up if there's a couple weeks between flights.
No, it's only against DL's rules if it violates a rule of the fares purchased. However the OP's potential itinerary does not. There's no fare that requires a very long stay.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by exwannabe
The "classic" case that they are trying to catch is the biz commuter.

Lives in A and works in B Mon-Thur. every week. The non weekend stopovers are more expensive, so he interleaves tickets that all have a weekend stay.
How do they distinguish that from the guy who lives in B and visits his girlfriend in A every weekend?
Old Jul 26, 2011, 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by sethb
How do they distinguish that from the guy who lives in B and visits his girlfriend in A every weekend?
They can't which is why no sane airline wants such cases to go to court.
Old Oct 11, 2011, 7:05 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Marriott Platinum
Nested round trips?

Couldn't find this in a search...

I have a 2 week work trip coming up but haven't booked it yet.
I found out about a family event over the weekend that I may attend; I'll have to wait until fairly late due to work.

I checked with Delta, and they said my original return would get cancelled if I booked another trip within this round trip. My only option seems to be to book a different airline.

Is there a 'legal' way to book this? Not trying to game the system.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.