Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Nested tickets

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2013, 1:25 pm

Programs: DL Diamond MM, SPG Platinum, Skywards Silver
Nested tix question

Variations of this have been asked before, but I would like to hear some real life experiences. Here's what I have booked:

XXX-ATL arrive 5pm
ATL-TPA arrive 9pm
Then was going to drive to MCO

I would like to book a one way ATL-MCO for $120 on DL at 7pm and forget TPA. The reason I booked TPA originally is because this was an international Z fare that was $2,900 less to go to TPA than MCO....haha go figure.

So I know I can use AirTran but would rather use DL. If I book that one way, and cancel TPA when I get to the airport in ATL, is there anyway they cancel my tix to MCO? Or see it before hand and cancel it? Thoughts? Thanks!
Old Oct 28, 2013, 1:36 pm

Programs: Ex DL-DM. MM. TWA-Aviator Plat. HHonors-DVIP, MR-Gold. Nat-Emerald. Avis Chairmn.
I have done this several times. A change in business plans have caused me to skip the intended flight and taken another, from the hub, to a different destination. If you are paying, I don't think Delta cares.
Old Oct 28, 2013, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
I think the big question here is whether DL will detect close or potentially overlapping flights... ATL-TPA and ATL-MCO, both for the same person, and cancel one of them.
Old Oct 28, 2013, 1:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
1. Does the XXX-ATL-TPA terminate in TPA or is there onward/return travel? If so, when you noshow for ATL-TPA, the remainder of your itinerary will be cancelled.

2. DL (and other carriers) have always prohibited "impossible" bookings, but new software makes them much more adept at catching it. If you could not fly your ATL-TPA and ATL-MCO, DL will cancel one or both. Hopefully they will notify you before taking action.
Old Oct 28, 2013, 1:53 pm

Programs: DL Diamond MM, SPG Platinum, Skywards Silver
Originally Posted by Often1
1. Does the XXX-ATL-TPA terminate in TPA or is there onward/return travel? If so, when you noshow for ATL-TPA, the remainder of your itinerary will be cancelled.

2. DL (and other carriers) have always prohibited "impossible" bookings, but new software makes them much more adept at catching it. If you could not fly your ATL-TPA and ATL-MCO, DL will cancel one or both. Hopefully they will notify you before taking action.
1. Yes that is the terminating point so no worries of canceled legs.

2. This is what I'm worried about. The detection of overlapping flights. That's what I'm really looking for experience on. Has anyone had something like this pro-actively cancelled?
Old Oct 28, 2013, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by FlyingDL4Fun
1. Yes that is the terminating point so no worries of canceled legs.

2. This is what I'm worried about. The detection of overlapping flights. That's what I'm really looking for experience on. Has anyone had something like this pro-actively cancelled?
I've only had flights cancelled on me where I'm booked on the same exact flights on two PNRs... I've never tried booking different, overlapping flights. In situations where I've needed to do something like this, having your SkyMiles number on both PNRs seems to be a strong factor influencing detection and cancellation. When I didn't enter my SM # for one of the PNRs, it was far more likely to stick. I never kept double bookings for more than a few minutes... usually I did this within the RFC window, and booked a new PNR before canceling the old one to make sure I didn't get screwed... but the system was fast. Within minutes, my new booking was cancelled. So I would book the new PNR without the SM #, then cancel the old one, then add it to my new PNR and request seats/upgrades.
Old Oct 28, 2013, 3:45 pm

Programs: Ex DL-DM. MM. TWA-Aviator Plat. HHonors-DVIP, MR-Gold. Nat-Emerald. Avis Chairmn.
Originally Posted by javabytes
I've only had flights cancelled on me where I'm booked on the same exact flights on two PNRs... I've never tried booking different, overlapping flights.
Had this happened once, Never had it happen with overlapping flights.
Old Oct 28, 2013, 4:30 pm

Programs: DL PM, DL MM
Originally Posted by Often1
In my experience, this has not happened...I had an LGA-FLL flight that I wanted to change to LGA-MCO.

Obviously changes than new flights...I had the LGA-FLL & LGA-MCO flights both booked until depature time (since I was paying for 2 flights and there is ZERO benefit to cancelling, I was keeping my options open)
Old Oct 29, 2013, 2:38 pm

Programs: DL PM
I've been in the same situation and booked the overlapping flights. I then called in to change the original PNR since I was worried about one getting cancelled. Rather than changing (and repricing) my original PNR, the very helpful rep simply deleted the unwanted flight from my PNR and stated there may be some residual value in the original PNR if I needed to change something again in the future.
Old Oct 29, 2013, 3:16 pm

I have booked overlapping flights on multiple occasions and have never had an issue with cancellations.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 1:16 pm

Programs: DL PM
Questions on nested trips from MSP to DUB

I have two trips (nested round trips) coming up in a couple of weeks with one companion, and I have some questions I’m hoping you all can help answer.

The trips are MSP-ORD, ORD-CDG-DUB-CDG-ORD, ORD-MSP. All flights are on DL metal except CDG-DUB-CDG which is on AF.

1. Is it possible, or even advisable, to combine these into one itinerary to save the trouble of re-checking bags in ORD?
2. Is it true that I can’t select seats on AF (AVRO RJ85) until the day of departure?
3. Will we be able to select seats on AF via a DL kiosk on day of departure?
4. Will we need to re-check bags in CDG, or will they check through to DUB? With regard to bags, should I be concerned about the switch from DL to AF?
5. We have 1:50 for the layover in CDG. Without knowing the gates yet, I’m assuming there won’t be enough time to visit an AF lounge, will there?

Thanks for any and all help, hopefully I’ve provided the relevant info.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 3:56 pm

Programs: Diamond Medallion, Kryptonium Medallion, Hilton HHonors Diamond
You can't select seats for the af leg to dub at all. They are all the same btw....they suck. Just FYI
Old Feb 21, 2014, 4:30 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM/UA G MM/DL MM DM 2015/BA Silver/Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by JoeBlowMSP
I have two trips (nested round trips) coming up in a couple of weeks with one companion, and I have some questions I’m hoping you all can help answer.

The trips are MSP-ORD, ORD-CDG-DUB-CDG-ORD, ORD-MSP. All flights are on DL metal except CDG-DUB-CDG which is on AF.

1. Is it possible, or even advisable, to combine these into one itinerary to save the trouble of re-checking bags in ORD?
2. Is it true that I can’t select seats on AF (AVRO RJ85) until the day of departure?
3. Will we be able to select seats on AF via a DL kiosk on day of departure?
4. Will we need to re-check bags in CDG, or will they check through to DUB? With regard to bags, should I be concerned about the switch from DL to AF?
5. We have 1:50 for the layover in CDG. Without knowing the gates yet, I’m assuming there won’t be enough time to visit an AF lounge, will there?

Thanks for any and all help, hopefully I’ve provided the relevant info.
1. Recheck at ORD isn't an option. You will be required to do it going from INT to DOM...it's a customs thing
2. If you are in coach, yes....no pre assigned.
3. Don't know...
4. As a transit passenger they will go on their own...just make sure that they are tagged to DUB. Switching carriers inside the alliance should be seamless but it is AF....
5. Maybe. A lot depends on the queues for transfers and security.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 4:55 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Gold
My experience on an intra-europe AF flight (where we were not allowed to pick seats) was that the seat selection was available when we did OLCI at T-24

But, on this leg we had only AF flights, so the OLCI was done through AF.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 8:50 pm

Programs: DL Silver
Originally Posted by JulienMSP
You can't select seats for the af leg to dub at all. They are all the same btw....they suck. Just FYI

Narrow, narrow plane. May be one of the only planes out there where the back three rows (which are 2-abreast vs 3-abreast) are the (relative) BEST seats on the plane.

The seats by the wings suck most of all --- no views outside, all you see is engines!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.