Search

Seats changed without notification

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2017, 1:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exec Plat CK 4.0M+; Delta DM; Marriott Ambassador; Hyatt Globalist
Seats changed without notification

Hi all,

wondering if someone else has had a similar experience. My son and I are booked on a LAX ATL in early Jan. We had booked our tickets using miles several months ago and had been upgraded to Comfort+. I had secured aisle seats for both of us on the flight. During thanksgiving week, I confirmed that we were still both in aisle seats. Shortly after the announcement of UGA going to the Rose Bowl, the whole flight was sold out, and my son and I were now in a middle and a window seat in Comfort+. I called DL about this and they said that there was a schedule change on the flight and seat assignments aren't guaranteed. It seems that there was a modest schedule change (departure time the same but arrival time was 6 mins earlier) in late October, but there was no notification of the schedule change and we were still in aisle seats during thanksgiving. It seems to have only changed last week.

Welcome any guidance from those who may have experienced something similar. I'm just looking to be put back in our aisle seats for the cross-country flights, but DL seems to be saying nothing can be done.

thanks in advance for any thoughts.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 2:08 pm

This is not an unusual occurrence. Your chances of getting DL to give you back your aisle seats is very very close to zero.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 2:13 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
unless you're 360
Old Dec 9, 2017, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by fpmurphy
This is not an unusual occurrence. Your chances of getting DL to give you back your aisle seats is very very close to zero.
And you want to know the main reason why? They would have to then bump somebody else out of their seat. Right or wrong... well, there is no right and that is wrong.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 3:20 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, DL UA
Are they at least required to keep you in the same class of service?
Old Dec 9, 2017, 3:22 pm

Programs: AA; Delta GM
I love flying Delta, but seat changes without notifications are quite common if you book your tickets in advance. My general philosophy is that I'm happy as long as I'm still sitting next to my other half & I'm still in the same class of service.

My other half HAS to have a window seat when we travel, so this sometimes is an exercise in creative patience. But so far, so good, although sometimes we wind up in bulkhead. (I hate bulkhead b/c I have to put my purse somewhere that I can't see it, but the window part works for my other half.)
Old Dec 9, 2017, 4:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
Never hurts to HUCA, I've gotten wonderful agents that put me in much better seats (C+ when it was just extra legroom) when aircraft changes have put me from window to middle seats. You never know, could or could not happen but trying won't hurt.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 8:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exec Plat CK 4.0M+; Delta DM; Marriott Ambassador; Hyatt Globalist
thanks for the thoughts all
Old Dec 10, 2017, 8:47 am

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
Sorry to hear that... Same thing happened to me last week: Booted from Paid Preferred Seat?.

Wife and I got booted from paid preferred (exit row) seats after checking in. I overheard the guy who displaced us telling the flight attendant he booked last minute but has DM status. Phone agent reiterated the “seats aren’t guaranteed” spiel and that we may be moved in certain circumstances, but that it shouldn’t happen just for an elite that happens to want that seat (though this isn’t my first experience where it has). Got a refund and customer service gesture, but I’m not keen on paying extra for specific seats anymore.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 9:22 am

Programs: DL Charter DM/DM/2MM, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by pvn
unless you're 360
Which he is if you read his profile!
Old Dec 10, 2017, 10:39 am

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
I find it interesting that this is now included as a question on the post flight survey (if you get and complete one). DL is obviously aware of the situation but still appears to be a common occurrence.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by DavidDTW
I find it interesting that this is now included as a question on the post flight survey (if you get and complete one). DL is obviously aware of the situation but still appears to be a common occurrence.
Now that you mention it, that was the first time that I can recall not getting a follow-up survey... I wonder if they send those out selectively to pad their results.
altabello likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 3:05 pm

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
Very similar situation happened to me. I called, they tried to tell me it was an equipment change, but it wasn't, then they tried to tell me it was because somebody needed the seats, implied someone with a disability, but the seats they moved me from do NOT have extra room. I just wanted to be closer to the front. Long story short they couldn't help me or give me a decent reason why it happened.

Only change was departing 5 minutes later, but arriving about 40 minutes later.

I did get an email though.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by strickerj
Wife and I got booted from paid preferred (exit row) seats after checking in. I overheard the guy who displaced us telling the flight attendant he booked last minute but has DM status.
DMs that book last minute in Y do not get to displace C+ passengers. I am a DM who books last minute economy TPACs and many times I am sitting mid to back of the plane, sometimes in a middle seat. I have even seen 360s in back of plane middle seats.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by fpmurphy
DMs that book last minute in Y do not get to displace C+ passengers. I am a DM who books last minute economy TPACs and many times I am sitting mid to back of the plane, sometimes in a middle seat. I have even seen 360s in back of plane middle seats.
Just an exit row, actually, not C+, but the agent did say I shouldn’t have been displaced just for someone with status. Don’t know why this keeps happening - my dad was DM for years and never displaced anyone that was there first (as far as we know).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.