Wiki Posts
Search

Seats changed without notification

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2017, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by CLTRob
Are they at least required to keep you in the same class of service?
Yes, if it's paid (not an upgrade).

I would look to rule out the routine causes before thinking this is something malevolent:

Schedule change - even just a few minutes

Equipment change - even one 757 to another (like 75H for 75D or 75P, even if seats by cabin count is identical)

Reassignment from bulkhead (because those can't be guaranteed except to disabled passengers)
Old Dec 11, 2017, 5:47 am

I was booted from paid EC+ seats to 45 C&D, saw on check in. Got the oh I see you paid for those but nothing I can do when I called. Did get refund plus 5000 miles. but quite unhappy about it. This was BCN to ATL leg. I had purchased ultra low fare during a sale (PSC-BCN for 405.00, then later paid for the EC upgrade). This was the second change, the first due to equipment or time, moved me from a decent economy to the row with the bathrooms behind me, no recline. Some research concluded that due to my cheap tix, my priority on realigning seating was at the bottom of priority.
strickerj likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 1:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
I had a really strange seat situation last night DTW-LGA and would love everyone's thoughts on what happened. I had a paid FC seat in 3B. I go to board and the BP scanner spits out a new seat assignment of 2B. I tell the gate agency my BP says 3B and he just says you're 2B. Since they're both forward aisles I just moved on. Then I get on-board and someone is already sitting in 2B (3B, my original seat, as well). I tell the FA someone's in my seat 2B and she says, oh just take seat 3C. OK no prob (another forward aisle seat). I was worried someone would then show up trying to claim 3C but no one did.

Not complaining, but just found this very strange
Old Feb 20, 2018, 4:08 pm

Programs: DL DM MM
That happens all the time. That's why Flyertalkers always advise people to check their itineraries constantly. I booked a JFK-SFO RT and chose specific flights because of the 767 configuration (four of us so we can be 2+2 in the 2-3-2 cabin). Without any warning, they switched planes on both flights to 757 so now we're in the single aisle 3-3 cabin, which is not ideal. Luckily, I caught it in time so I could put us back together but we have no choice but sit with random passengers (on my last long flight, the guy next to me in C+ weighed over 300 lbs--talk about torture!).
Old Feb 20, 2018, 4:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by LonghaulCommuter
That happens all the time. That's why Flyertalkers always advise people to check their itineraries constantly. I booked a JFK-SFO RT and chose specific flights because of the 767 configuration (four of us so we can be 2+2 in the 2-3-2 cabin). Without any warning, they switched planes on both flights to 757 so now we're in the single aisle 3-3 cabin, which is not ideal. Luckily, I caught it in time so I could put us back together but we have no choice but sit with random passengers (on my last long flight, the guy next to me in C+ weighed over 300 lbs--talk about torture!).
In my case the equipment stayed the same, a 739, so I can't figure out why my seat changed (and then someone was in my newly assigned seat) since when I checked in via the kiosk just a couple of hours before it printed out the seat I had originally picked, 3B.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 4:54 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
In my case the equipment stayed the same, a 739, so I can't figure out why my seat changed (and then someone was in my newly assigned seat) since when I checked in via the kiosk just a couple of hours before it printed out the seat I had originally picked, 3B.
When you boarded, were people in both 3A and 3B? Most common reason for these gate changes is because people want to sit next to each other and gate agents (rightly or wrongly) make some assumptions about seat equivalence. This doesn't always work out (I got extremely annoyed last week when I got moved from 33C to 28D on a 739 to allow a family booked in E to sit in the same row - which means rather than using my touchpad and having my elbow go into the aisle it goes into someones side).

This is very different from Delta's incredibly annoying habit to change planes and - sometimes - just screw up seats for no reason weeks/months in advance (sometimes due to equipment changes but others for seemingly no reason at all).
Old Feb 20, 2018, 5:02 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ethernal
When you boarded, were people in both 3A and 3B? Most common reason for these gate changes is because people want to sit next to each other and gate agents (rightly or wrongly) make some assumptions about seat equivalence. This doesn't always work out (I got extremely annoyed last week when I got moved from 33C to 28D on a 739 to allow a family booked in E to sit in the same row - which means rather than using my touchpad and having my elbow go into the aisle it goes into someones side).

This is very different from Delta's incredibly annoying habit to change planes and - sometimes - just screw up seats for no reason weeks/months in advance (sometimes due to equipment changes but others for seemingly no reason at all).
Yea, very different from an eqp swap. There were people in 3A/3B when I boarded but also someone in my newly re-assigned seat 2B which is why I'm so perplexed. Basically I got my seat re-assigned twice: 3B -> 2B -> 3C (2B & 3C were showing as already occupied on the seat map I when I checked in a couple of hours before this flight too). So weird......
Old Feb 20, 2018, 10:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Did you see whether 2B really had a boarding pass for 2B? It could have been a seat poacher who was assigned to 3C for example and just decided that he/she preferred 2B. It also sounds like the FA was confident that 3C was unassigned (to someone who would claim it), so your poacher could have moved with the complicity of the FA.
strickerj likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 10:56 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Did you see whether 2B really had a boarding pass for 2B? It could have been a seat poacher who was assigned to 3C for example and just decided that he/she preferred 2B. It also sounds like the FA was confident that 3C was unassigned (to someone who would claim it), so your poacher could have moved with the complicity of the FA.

also there were like 4-5 UPGs cleared into FC
No I didn’t bother to accost 2B for his BP (I would have if 3C showed up trust that) this stuff doesn’t really happen to me in AA. For a paid ticket in FC it’s so odd.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
I had a really strange seat situation last night DTW-LGA and would love everyone's thoughts on what happened. I had a paid FC seat in 3B. I go to board and the BP scanner spits out a new seat assignment of 2B. I tell the gate agency my BP says 3B and he just says you're 2B. Since they're both forward aisles I just moved on. Then I get on-board and someone is already sitting in 2B (3B, my original seat, as well). I tell the FA someone's in my seat 2B and she says, oh just take seat 3C. OK no prob (another forward aisle seat). I was worried someone would then show up trying to claim 3C but no one did.

Not complaining, but just found this very strange
Did the person in 3B look like an Air Marshall?
Old Feb 22, 2018, 6:57 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by sethb
Did the person in 3B look like an Air Marshall?
not really but aren’t Air Marshall’s supposed to be unrecognizable?
Old Feb 22, 2018, 9:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Yes, but . . .

Healthy alert well-dressed people who don't drink or sleep is a clue.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 10:58 pm

If you dig déep enough you will find that your seat is simply a request like a special meal. Nowhere in the travel industry are you ever guaranteed the hotel room,seat,flight or rental car. Essentially you are renting a space on the flight which is subject to change due to mechanical issues.

For me I know that when I book my seat it is subject to change up until the moment the plane takes off. As long as I get a comperable seat or better then I am fine.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 9:03 am

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
Originally Posted by danielonn
If you dig déep enough you will find that your seat is simply a request like a special meal. Nowhere in the travel industry are you ever guaranteed the hotel room,seat,flight or rental car. Essentially you are renting a space on the flight which is subject to change due to mechanical issues.

For me I know that when I book my seat it is subject to change up until the moment the plane takes off. As long as I get a comperable seat or better then I am fine.
True, but all the airlines have that policy, and from the accounts on here, the last minute musical chairs seems to be primarily on Delta. And the swaps are almost never for the better. When airlines charge extra for specific seats within the same class, they really ought to stop hiding behind their “no guarantees” mantra.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 1:37 pm

Location: LAS - where you can get married and divorced in the same 24 hour period. Perfect for the woman who's saving herself for marriage and the man who wants a one night stand.
Programs: DL DM, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, UA, AA, AS, WN kettle, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by sethb
Yes, but . . .

Healthy alert well-dressed people who don't drink or sleep is a clue.
Probably no brag tags as they don't pay for flights therefore they don't have status. And they pre-board the pre-boards.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.