More seat swapping/poaching fun!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2018, 3:52 pm

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
You people are weird.

Relax and have a PDB on me.
Seabilly and gooselee like this.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 5:40 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Howste
Fact 1: Anyone booking a last minute coach flight will most likely end up in a middle seat.
Fact 2: If a couple books available aisle and a window seats (for whatever reason) and they later decide to trade with a passenger who booked later when only middle seats were available, they are giving them a better seat that was not available to them at booking.

How is this a scam? Isn't it doing the other passenger a favor?
Thanks! Sorry to everyone for causing this trouble, as I was the one who mentioned this alleged "scam". My wife likes aisle and I like window, so we usually book those 2 seats and hope no one sits in the middle. We have on occasion decided to keep our assigned seats and not offer the person in the middle the option to switch, but usually prefer to sit next to each other over our preferred seat and the individual in the middle is thrilled!

We have on occasion (including an upcoming flight) booked the 2 aisles so we can each sit next to each other irrespective of whether someone is in the middle even though it doesn't give me my preferred window.

We're certainly open to going back to booking aisle and window and not even offering the individual in the middle the option to switch with one of us if that is the proper thing to do.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 6:09 pm

Programs: Delta marriott
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR

~4400 posts over the span of 3.5 years. And it has nothing to do with FT specifically. It’s basic understanding of how to use many an internet forum. Despite also being busy with work and flying and traveling, I and many other users on here have learned how tonquite multiple people in the same posts. So you don’t get to blame “being busy traveling” cop-out for your shortcomings. Quoting multiple people in the same post isn’t rocket science yet you struggle with it apparently.

But I will touch on this - since you have difficulty with math (and as one’s FT profile will tell you), ~4500 posts over about ~3.5 years is ~3.5 posts per day. Your profile shows you joined this month (17 October) and have 17 posts already, and shows you’re averaging 2.8 posts per day and you admit it would be higher but youre limited by the limitations of new members. Even with the limitations, our averages are within about 1/2 a post a day day of each other. Hardly a statistical significance in difference there. I’ve just been active a lot longer than you have. I’m hardly posting more per day than you, despite your attempt to show to the contrary.

Good for you and your beliefs. You can believe in Santa Claus or a flat earth too. That doesn’t mean it’s real or accurate and is just you trying to cover up your own lack of reading comprehension. I never said I engage in the “scam” as you call it (not that I even view it as a scam but that’s irrelevant). If I book myself in a window and my wife in an aisle that’s where we sit. I’m not moving to the middle because I get up frequently and she likes being in the window so she doesn’t have to be bothered if people get up. We book this knowing the middle will likely be occupied or we book options with sets of 2 seats that allow for an aisle/window combo with no middle or, in many cases, we book FC anyway to avoid the issue altogether depending on the fare difference between F and Y.

1) You don’t understand the intent behind FF programs then and you obviously don’t understand that FF programs are marketing programs under the guise of rewards programs. And you clearly don’t understand how supply and demand plays into this, among other factors.
2) DMs who book early have the same benefits.
[/left]
I feel sorry for you considering that you get off on trashing people you don’t know because they do not think the way you do

I gave you a taste of your nasty medicine and judged by your reaction you did not like being put in your place

I refuse to sink to your level again so enjoy the free economy comfort v class upgrades for as long as you can with your platinum status
Old Oct 23, 2018, 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by Flyinlion1000

I refuse to sink to your level again so enjoy the free economy comfort v class upgrades for as long as you can with your platinum status
If this is the last of back and forth between you two then congrats! you have saved this thread
Seabilly and MarkP24 like this.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by MarkP24
Thanks! Sorry to everyone for causing this trouble, as I was the one who mentioned this alleged "scam". My wife likes aisle and I like window, so we usually book those 2 seats and hope no one sits in the middle. We have on occasion decided to keep our assigned seats and not offer the person in the middle the option to switch, but usually prefer to sit next to each other over our preferred seat and the individual in the middle is thrilled!
My wife and I have the exact same practice. It has never failed - either the middle seat is not booked and we get to keep the three, or the person in the middle is delighted to move to the aisle. Either way, one or more people are happy, and no-one is upset. The nonsense on this thread is at epic levels.
ijgordon, Seabilly and MarkP24 like this.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 7:39 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by secondsoprano
My wife and I have the exact same practice. It has never failed - either the middle seat is not booked and we get to keep the three, or the person in the middle is delighted to move to the aisle. Either way, one or more people are happy, and no-one is upset. The nonsense on this thread is at epic levels.
Thank you! I just wanted to make sure I wasn't crazy or inconsiderate.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by TheHorta
You people are weird.

Relax and have a PDB on me.
Weird? Or wired? Crack is bad for you. Um, ok? Also might actually want to layoff the PDB.

/humor
Old Oct 23, 2018, 8:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Weird? Or wired? Crack is bad for you. Um, ok? Also might actually want to layoff the PDB.

/humor
Please don't layoff the PDBs. They're performing an essential function for DL and don't deserve to be unemployed. <sorry, could not resist>
Old Oct 23, 2018, 9:22 pm

Programs: HiltonHonors, IHG Hotels, DL Skymiles
Originally Posted by secondsoprano
----
I have a friend (extremely well-traveled worldwide) who actually likes the middle seat. I'd love to see the reaction on your faces with her, she would probably politely refuse your offer.
MarkP24 likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingNone
----
I have a friend (extremely well-traveled worldwide) who actually likes the middle seat. I'd love to see the reaction on your faces with her, she would probably politely refuse your offer.
Why would anyone like the middle seat?
Old Oct 23, 2018, 9:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium

We have on occasion (including an upcoming flight) booked the 2 aisles so we can each sit next to each other irrespective of whether someone is in the middle even though it doesn't give me my preferred window.

We're certainly open to going back to booking aisle and window and not even offering the individual in the middle the option to switch with one of us if that is the proper thing to do.
Do what you want and don’t worry about changing because of what one or two people on a forum that is already a very limited and a very biased sample pool manage to get agitated and worked up because someone even dares to ask them about a seat swap. If DL has a problem with it, they can change their seating policy. And if some one really wants to make a statement to you by staying in the middle seat and not switch in this case, well, you still win because you have the window and aisle seat and they still have to sit in the middle seat the whole flight. The joke really is on them.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 7:46 am

Programs: DL FO, KM, & 1.7MM; UA nothing; HH♦; National EE
It's not a hug, but they're lonely and it's a way to feel physical human touch?
Old Oct 24, 2018, 7:54 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
I'm guessing, but possibly that, the way many seats are configured, there is the most underseat stowage space between the two supports?
Old Oct 24, 2018, 8:06 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
If you're on a widebody, at least, the middle seats in the middle section guarantee nobody will need to climb over you to get out.
obscure2k likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 9:02 am

Originally Posted by TheHorta
I deposited the warm, weighty barf-bag into her garbage bag.
Sounds delicious!
TheHorta likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.