Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta is modifying its beverage service in C+ & coach 251-350 mile flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta is modifying its beverage service in C+ & coach 251-350 mile flights

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2017, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
I had a flight late last week that was right at 300 miles.

One of those flights that is a return to ATL from the hinterlands... same aircraft and flight number each way.

CRJ200... just to add to the enjoyment.

FAs were not going to service liquor but one PAX pressed the issue and they relented.

Question 1: Since this was part of a ATL-XXX-ATL routing, 300 miles each way, why was there any liquor provisioned in the first place? I would not be surprised to learn that the same plane ferried back and forth between ATL and XXX all day long.

Question 2: There is only one row, 4 seats, of C+ on a CRJ200. What is so hard with serving 4 drinks on a 300 mile flight?

Somewhat related Question 3: If DL is going to set aside 4 seats on a CRJ200 for a second class of service, why don't they call it FC instead of C+?

Somewhat related observation: As stated above, only 4 C+ seats on a CRJ200. I cleared my "upgrade" just a few hours before flight time. One seat (25%) was used by an FA trainee who was on the flight. Why can't the trainee sit in 2C rather than 1C and free up the C+ seat for a paying PAX?
I have been on a CJ with just the first row being C+ and the rest of the plane regular Y and think it's kind of a waste since the flight I was on in row 1 (AGS/ATL) was only around 120 miles and had no beverage service at all. Not sure why anyone would pay any more for that seat seeing there is no service.

The reason they probably don't make it first class instead of C+ is so they can get out of catering the plane and doing any kind of service (on a two cabin RJ on that route they do a beverage service) but as money hungry as Delta is getting if they could even get $50 with FCM for that seat it would more than pay for the two free drinks and wouldn't cost them any more in labor.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 9:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
I have been on a CJ with just the first row being C+ and the rest of the plane regular Y and think it's kind of a waste since the flight I was on in row 1 (AGS/ATL) was only around 120 miles and had no beverage service at all. Not sure why anyone would pay any more for that seat seeing there is no service.

The reason they probably don't make it first class instead of C+ is so they can get out of catering the plane and doing any kind of service (on a two cabin RJ on that route they do a beverage service) but as money hungry as Delta is getting if they could even get $50 with FCM for that seat it would more than pay for the two free drinks and wouldn't cost them any more in labor.
If it were FC, DL would also have to give each seat a small water bottle and also in principle serve PDBs.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If it were FC, DL would also have to give each seat a small water bottle and also in principle serve PDBs.
Plus while the seats are same for Y and C+, for F they're not.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 2:14 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Full beverage service on DCA-LGA on Sunday......glad to see the Shuttles are exempt from this ridiculous service “enhancement”.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 11:33 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
Not sure why anyone would pay any more for that seat seeing there is no service..
I doubt they sell very many, if any, C+ seats on those routes alone. They probably sell them to people who are connecting to longer routes, so DL can claim to offer C+ on the whole itinerary and price it as such, rather than selling the ticket as a multi-cabin ticket and having to discount it for the segment that has no C+.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by apodo77
Flew BKK-Chang Mai in Bangkok Airways (362 Miles).
Served full meal, beverage, and coffee/tea service on the flight.

Not even an ME3 carrier Bastian whines about.
Yup, having lived in Asia I can attest many Asian airlines serve full meals for the times DL claims is too short.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 10:37 pm

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium, Amtrak Member
I fly MSN-DTW and vv frequently - <350 miles. Service in coach was inconsistent before this change and I expect it will remain inconsistent. It makes getting the upgrade even nicer!
Old Oct 17, 2017, 11:40 am

Programs: DL - PM (Sky Priority);HH - Gold; Marriott - Silver; National - Executive; DL Reserve AMEX
Eh, who cares? These flights are less than an hour.

I mean, can you not make it that long without a liquor drink? You might have bigger issues than this policy change to deal with in your life....
Old Oct 17, 2017, 11:52 am

Mikey - i dont think anyone here is truly that upset about the absence of one cocktail. I like drinking on planes but if i have one less beverage its probably for the better.

The issue here is the continued reduction in value for Delta elite fliers. The ultimate goal of the medallion program is to entice frequent travelers to fly on Delta more often in exchange for some 'perks' one of which being access to C+ seating with free snacks and alcoholic beverages.

Nobody's life will be ruined with one less beer in their tummy but this to me is just another way of Delta cheapening the medallion experience.
jamesteroh and jdrtravel like this.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 12:08 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by MikeyZBT

I mean, can you not make it that long without a liquor drink? You might have bigger issues than this policy change to deal with in your life....
Think you are missing the point of those upset with the changes.
jamesteroh and jdrtravel like this.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 12:15 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Call customet service. I found out with a recent issue that while DM line can take a complaint and issue compensation, nothing happens unless you call CS and tell them you want them to look at the issue.

Basically the DM line just puts comments on your ticket, no case file is opened. CS actually opens a case file.
Try this number:

Customer Care Contact
Old Oct 17, 2017, 2:19 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by MikeyZBT

There are three reasons I cared:

1. I was on the way to a football game, and I would have enjoyed having a pregame beer. No one is getting drunk off of a single beer, so your veiled suggestion that anyone wanting a drink on a 45 minute flight must have a problem is off base.

2. I expected to receive the level of service that is supposed to be given in Comfort Plus. The policy provides that I was supposed to be given a beer, yet the flight attendant refused (on each flight) because s/he didn't understand the policy. If Delta's policy had been that there is nothing but water or coffee offered in C+, then I wouldn't have expected it. But that's not the policy.

3. I don't like having to listen to a surly flight attendant bark that the policy is only water or coffee when (a) I know he's wrong, and (b) he could have staked out his incorrect position politely, but failed to do so.
jamesteroh and Renes Points like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.