Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta is modifying its beverage service in C+ & coach 251-350 mile flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta is modifying its beverage service in C+ & coach 251-350 mile flights

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2017, 2:02 pm

Programs: DL Gold
Years ago (don't know whether it would be the same now, WN did a full beverage-plus-peanuts service on DTW-MDW (229 miles). The WN FAs were up and coming down the aisle to get the carts practically from the moment the gear were up on climbout and finished stowing items around the time the gear came down for landing, so they were hustling.

Also, on an ATR flying AMS-CGN (143 miles!) the FA handed out sandwiches as well as drinks. I was astounded as I really wasn't expecting anything on that short a flight.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 2:09 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold
I remember being quite impressed by simply getting a cup of water on LH from MUC-NUE (<100 miles). Biz on that flight got a meal on a tray that they had 5 minutes to eat. Smaller plane, Europe, etc. but still...
Old Oct 11, 2017, 2:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
Originally Posted by Renes Points
From Delta Corp rep reg MAINLINE and DELTA CONNECTION:

Delta is modifying its beverage service in Delta Comfort+ and Main Cabin on flights between 251-350 miles to ensure that our flight attendants have the opportunity to serve all of our customers when time is very limited inflight. Due to the short length of these flights, we found that many Main Cabin customers were not receiving snack or beverage service prior to flight attendants having to stow service items and prepare the aircraft for arrival. This feedback drove us to test options, including conducting extensive testing this summer, where we received positive feedback from both customers and flight attendants on this new service.

Additional information:
• The flights that will receive this service are between 251-350 miles. These are flights that in most cases have between 17-21 minutes of workable time to serve the entire cabin.
• Delta Comfort+ customers will now be offered a limited selection of alcoholic beverages, including Miller Lite, SweetWater 420, and Wente red and white wine, as well as a Dasani water bottle, Starbucks coffee and a choice of pretzels or Biscoff cookies; while Main Cabin customers will be offered a Dasani water bottle, Starbucks coffee and choice of pretzels or Biscoff cookies. First Class service will remain the same.
• To ensure customers are aware of this change in service inflight we have developed PAs onboard outlining the express service offerings.
• Delta’s flight attendants are also empowered to use situational flexibility and in all circumstances, if time allows, do their best to meet customer requests. Time permitting, customers will still be able to receive additional alcoholic options for free in Delta Comfort+ and for sale in the Main Cabin.
• At Delta, we are constantly actively listening to our customers and employees, gathering their feedback and testing new products on board to continuously improve the overall experience. Delta will continue to closely monitor customer satisfaction scores and flight attendant feedback for this new service change and make adjustments and improvements to service and product changes as a result of feedback.

Source is my blog: http://renespoints.boardingarea.com/...-drink-update/
Interesting since its a 200 mile flight from SEA-GEG

Flew Alaska on a full 737 and they were able to get this type of drink service (OJ or water were the only options) by bringing out the drink carts. FYI the FA's on Alaska was able to serve EVERY passenger with time to spare.

Flew DL back that same day on a CRJ-700 and the FA's couldnt be bothered to get out of their seats the entire flight (even for FC)
Old Oct 11, 2017, 2:29 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
Here's a thought. Just give people the can and let them pour it! What a load of crap.
In a way you make an excellent point (if snark removed)

On KLM flights they have mini-soda cans and beer. Delta could move to that and do what you said i.e. just open can and hand over. Much faster. Smart idea you (and KLM) have!
Old Oct 11, 2017, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by minnyfly
I bet you that's one reason the limit isn't any farther than 350 miles. No way they cook that goose.
They can always carve out exceptions, just like they do for meals in First Class on certain routes shorter than 900 miles.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 4:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Happy to report on the LGA-DCA Shuttle (under 250 Miles) there was still a full beverage service offered in C+ and YC and promoted via the PAs. Even received a full can of Bloody Mary mix.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 5:14 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM - IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Grouchy
I've seen the KLM FA's doing full service for all coach pax this year on legs like AMS-MAN (302 miles), AMS-CDG (248 miles), AMS-BHX (275 miles) and somehow doing a second beverage round in coach for MAN-AMS earlier this year.
Since AF & KL are both "close partners" of DL, one would think that DL would be open to learning best practices from them.

AF & KL both serve a decent meal in F on routes like CDG-LHR or AMS-MAN, and manage to serve every pax in Y a snack/sandwich and beverage. They accomplish this by positioning two or three carts at half or third-points in the aisle and SIMULTANEOUSLY serving multiple pax. DL starts at the front of the cabin and slowly work towards the back. It really isn't that complicated.

While this doesn't directly affect me (I normally drink water, whether in F or in Y), this is hardly indicative of a "world-class" operation.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 5:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
Happy to report on the LGA-DCA Shuttle (under 250 Miles) there was still a full beverage service offered in C+ and YC and promoted via the PAs. Even received a full can of Bloody Mary mix.
See, this is proof that it can be done. It's pure laziness and cost cutting.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 6:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by twohundredfifty
I remember being quite impressed by simply getting a cup of water on LH from MUC-NUE (<100 miles). Biz on that flight got a meal on a tray that they had 5 minutes to eat. Smaller plane, Europe, etc. but still...
Sometimes I think that Europeans eat faster: knife in one hand (right), fork generally stays in the other hand (left) so that it's more efficient.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 7:14 pm
Suspended

I emailed Delta regarding these changes and was told that my concerns would be forwarded to the leadership team. I'm guessing that's a group of recycling bins located on Virginia Ave.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 7:16 pm

Programs: DL DM; DL AMEX Reserve; HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
See, this is proof that it can be done. It's pure laziness and cost cutting.
And an unnecessarily LONG ascent without service. I swear there's at least another 10 minutes that can be gained if the FAs got moving after the 10K foot bell.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 7:31 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by apodo77
Have a feeling we will hear a lot of “due to” on 350 mile routes and less.
Always wonder how foreign airlines provide service and US Airlines can’t.
Foreign, golly try flying Southwest. And they do it without carts.

I emailed Delta regarding these changes and was told that my concerns would be forwarded to the leadership team. I'm guessing that's a group of recycling bins located on Virginia Ave.
I was going to say shredder, but why run up the power bills?

David
readywhenyouare likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 7:33 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by DeltaFan4Now
And an unnecessarily LONG ascent without service. I swear there's at least another 10 minutes that can be gained if the FAs got moving after the 10K foot bell.
Agreed. I bet if they got paid based on the number of passengers they successfully served we would see a night and day difference in service.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 8:17 pm

HND to ITM 218 miles, $62 ticket with full beverage service.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 8:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
Here's a thought. Just give people the can and let them pour it! What a load of crap.
Wouldn't work, you're using logic. Logic doesn't work in this world anymore.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.