Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta simply does not know how to police their boarding!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta simply does not know how to police their boarding!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2018, 6:14 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by gigglypug
DL is testing the pillars, while UA is testing a two-lane system a la DL. SMH. What a waste of time,. 🙄
Not sure what you mean. UA has lanes for all boarding zones for most gates, and then two lanes for gates that generally only service RJs with small gate areas. So not sure if you mean by "testing" you just saw one of the gates that primarily services RJs?
Old Feb 21, 2018, 8:35 am

Programs: DL Diamond, HHonors Diamond, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by ethernal
Not sure what you mean. UA has lanes for all boarding zones for most gates, and then two lanes for gates that generally only service RJs with small gate areas. So not sure if you mean by "testing" you just saw one of the gates that primarily services RJs?
UA recently announced that they're testing a new process that would abandon the one-lane-per-zone concept.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 8:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by MS02113
UA recently announced that they're testing a new process that would abandon the one-lane-per-zone concept.
It's already been rolled out at several airports.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 9:57 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
SW has the most elegant solution -- have two clearly demarcated lanes with barriers, one for the "now boarding" zone and one for the "next boarding" zone. Have the GA ask passengers to line up according to the category flashing on an electronic board above the lane. The lanes then alternate, with the vacated lane being filled as the next zone boards. "First Class" then "Diamond" then "Platinum" then "Rows 15-20" etc. People would be more responsive if signs indicated who boards when -- indicated by something that they know, like status or seat number, not some arbitrary name like PREM or SKY or Zone 1. It also solves the gate lice problem -- only people from the lanes are allowed to board, either you line up or you don't board.

On Delta, I am often almost trampled when boarding in paid first class, by passengers who then disappear into economy. And not just one or two, literally a dozen people. This doesn't happen on AA, my primary domestic carrier.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 10:42 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by fastflyer
On Delta, I am often almost trampled when boarding in paid first class, by passengers who then disappear into economy. And not just one or two, literally a dozen people. This doesn't happen on AA, my primary domestic carrier.
That has to do with Diamond Medallions getting to board with the First class cabin. on AA, they call CK, then First, then EXP. Depending on the gate agent sometimes there's barely a breath between each on AA though.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
On Delta, I am often almost trampled when boarding in paid first class, by passengers who then disappear into economy. And not just one or two, literally a dozen people.
I had my worst DL boarding experience in a while on Monday flying out of RSW. I was in First, but when the GA called for PREM there was no way to get to her since the Priority lane was clogged with SKY boarders, and she only waited maybe 20 seconds between calling PREM and then calling SKY
Old Feb 22, 2018, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by Kacee
Last night at JFK, they let an NRSA in row 38 board with the PREM group on JFK-SFO. Is that typical?
No. I did that once (once) when they cleared me early, because I happen to be a DM.

Usually, NRSA don't clear until most pax have boarded anyway.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 9:24 pm

Location: LAS - where you can get married and divorced in the same 24 hour period. Perfect for the woman who's saving herself for marriage and the man who wants a one night stand.
Programs: DL DM, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, UA, AA, AS, WN kettle, Hertz PC
Wired magazine looks at boarding this month.Airlines Won’t Dare Use the Fastest Way to Board Planes
Old Feb 23, 2018, 7:43 am

SW has the most elegant solution -- have two clearly demarcated lanes with barriers, one for the "now boarding" zone and one for the "next boarding" zone. Have the GA ask passengers to line up according to the category flashing on an electronic board above the lane. The lanes then alternate, with the vacated lane being filled as the next zone boards. "First Class" then "Diamond" then "Platinum" then "Rows 15-20" etc. People would be more responsive if signs indicated who boards when -- indicated by something that they know, like status or seat number, not some arbitrary name like PREM or SKY or Zone 1. It also solves the gate lice problem -- only people from the lanes are allowed to board, either you line up or you don't board.

IMO, Delta should board PAID First Class ahead of Diamond Medallions.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by southof30a
IMO, Delta should board PAID First Class ahead of Diamond Medallions.
I wonder (not really) which is a better description of you.

Actually, boarding DMs in Y makes the entire process faster: they're putting stuff away while F is boarding, so they don't add time to the Y part of the process.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 5:19 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by sethb
I wonder (not really) which is a better description of you.

Actually, boarding DMs in Y makes the entire process faster: they're putting stuff away while F is boarding, so they don't add time to the Y part of the process.
It shouldn't matter either way -- people in F, and DMs in Y, are not in competition for overhead space. So really neither group should care much whether they board together or separately and in what order.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Zorak
It shouldn't matter either way -- people in F, and DMs in Y, are not in competition for overhead space. So really neither group should care much whether they board together or separately and in what order.
The entire process is a little faster if they're shuffled together.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 12:02 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Question about boarding. On AA we have a priority lane and I'm Group 4. I got to the gate Monday and they were up to Zone 6 (I was chilling in the LAS Cent lounge), but I was able to go up the empty priority lane and be boarded next. Is it like that with Delta?
Old Jun 13, 2018, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Gig103
Question about boarding. On AA we have a priority lane and I'm Group 4. I got to the gate Monday and they were up to Zone 6 (I was chilling in the LAS Cent lounge), but I was able to go up the empty priority lane and be boarded next. Is it like that with Delta?
Yes, if you're a high enough priority you can use the priority lane.

The problem is they use it for down to Zone 1, so if a PREM shows up during Zone 1 boarding, they don't get to bypass the line.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 12:34 am

Boarded a DL flight out of SEA. I was in zone 3. They'd called zone 2, and the flow of pax seemed to never end. This is not some huge aircraft (753). I just kept waiting, as did bunch of other folks. I saw a group of 6-7 Chinese pax going in. They all had rollerboards. Saw BP's for at least half of them... all zone 4 After seeing that, I just lined up at the back of the line. Saw that the person in front of me was also zone 4. I thought for sure those zone 4 Chinese pax were going to be turned back by the GA, but no. Is it possible that one of them was zone 2 and therefore the GA let all of them in? Maybe, but I doubt it and that really shouldn't happen anyways. The whole time I never heard announcement for zone 3 or zone 4. There was only a handful of overhead bin spaces remaining (at least up to my row ~40), and there must've been at least 30 people still boarding after me. I'm sure the last 20 or so pax were forced to gate-check their bags. It was as if zone 2 call was an invite to all pax including BE.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.