Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Change or standby earlier connecting flight ATL

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2017, 2:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat

Tomorrow I'm CDG-ATL arriving 7:30 PM. Then scheduled for ATL-MEM at 10:30 but see an earlier flight at 9:15. I don't want to do a confirmed standby bc concerned about connection time. Wondering what my options are. At some point my ticket was changed and they did allow a similar alteration free of charge on inbound portion. Didn't think to deal with this then.
Old May 22, 2017, 5:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
Tomorrow I'm CDG-ATL arriving 7:30 PM. Then scheduled for ATL-MEM at 10:30 but see an earlier flight at 9:15. I don't want to do a confirmed standby bc concerned about connection time. Wondering what my options are. At some point my ticket was changed and they did allow a similar alteration free of charge on inbound portion. Didn't think to deal with this then.
You can do SDS/SDS at the airport only after all international flights. Thus can be done before you're at ATL. Since you'll be done with all simply ask at ATL before you drop your bags. While no name matching on bags for domestic flights, the system sees it as an international reservation and will make changing harder. Harder means some agents won't do it.
Old May 22, 2017, 6:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
After you exit customs, ignore the barkers insisting that you recheck your bags and go directly to the DL service counter regardless of how much the employees standing around yell at you.

Be prepared to cite DL's rules about being allowed to do SDC/SDS on international itineraries after all international segments have been flown and insist that the agent process the SDC/SDS. You'll probably need to ask for a redcoat. It might also help to call your elite line to verify flight availability, but they cannot process the SDC/SDS on international tickets, only airport staff can do this.

If you have a D1 ticket or a confirmed upgrade using instruments, remember (and be sure to remind the agents) that you can SDC directly info FC if there's a FC seat available; fare class inventory doesn't matter for premium cabins unless there's been a free elite upgrade.
Old May 22, 2017, 9:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Wow. You guys are great. I am not elite on DL and am on a coach award ticket. I can carryon bag rather than check, though, so perhaps helping with the baggage issue at ATL. Sounds like my plan should be carryon (or grab bag and run LOL) and get ground agent to see about SDS on earlier flight if available. If successful at that point, is there a $50 charge? Just want to know what I'm in for.

Quick reconsideration: I have not yet checked in. Is it possible for me to go ahead and change that flight now for SDC? If so, do I just do it as I check in? I'm assuming 105 minutes is enough?

Last edited by Stgermainparis; May 22, 2017 at 10:16 am
Old May 22, 2017, 10:12 am

Do you have global entry? If it's like my last entry into the US at Atlanta without Global Entry you will need to keep the 10:30 flight.
Old May 22, 2017, 10:17 am

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
You cannot SDC/SDS until the international segment has been flown, so you cannot attempt it until you arrive in ATL. There is a $75 charge if you are able to make the change.
Old May 22, 2017, 10:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Orange County Commuter
Do you have global entry? If it's like my last entry into the US at Atlanta without Global Entry you will need to keep the 10:30 flight.
I do not. But the last 4 times I've been through, it was pretty fast. Still, you make a good point. And the worst possible thing would be if I miss the 9:15 and then the 10:30 is full. So yeah I should leave alone for now and see how it goes on the ground.

Originally Posted by CarmenOM
You cannot SDC/SDS until the international segment has been flown, so you cannot attempt it until you arrive in ATL. There is a $75 charge if you are able to make the change.
Orange County Commuter talked me into just keeping the later flight anyway, and evidently I don't have a choice! For tickets issued prior to March 15, 2017, it is still $50 (and mine was issued in 2016).
Old May 22, 2017, 10:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Wow. You guys are great. I am not elite on DL and am on a coach award ticket. I can carryon bag rather than check, though, so perhaps helping with the baggage issue at ATL. Sounds like my plan should be carryon (or grab bag and run LOL) and get ground agent to see about SDS on earlier flight if available. If successful at that point, is there a $50 charge? Just want to know what I'm in for.

Quick reconsideration: I have not yet checked in. Is it possible for me to go ahead and change that flight now for SDC? If so, do I just do it as I check in? I'm assuming 105 minutes is enough?
You must request the SDC/SDS after you have arrived in ATL. You cannot do it earlier.

It would be good to keep your carry on bag with you. They it will be on the flight you actually take, so that you won't have to worry about the bag arriving before you, nor would you need to either wait for the bag on the next flight or return to the airport to fetch it later.
Old May 22, 2017, 11:08 am
Original Poster

Sorry to bug you guys but before I sit on hold for an hour w/ DL, I have another idea. My rez (<24 hours) was changed from time of booking. While it is not within the terms for a free change, DL did change my outbound for free although that issue was also not within terms (change <hour difference). I'm arriving now about 40 minutes later than my original flight and my connection went from 2 hours to 3 hours. Might I have any success just asking them to change the flight to the earlier second segment? So not technically SDC/SDS but effectively the same? Wasn't sure if b/c <24 hrs it was too late.

"There has been a change affecting your trip. If you are not satisfied with this updated itinerary, you may be eligible to change your flight(s) at no extra cost. ( Conditions Apply)
If you are satisfied with your selection, you can check in for your confirmed flight(s) now."
Old May 22, 2017, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Sorry to bug you guys but before I sit on hold for an hour w/ DL, I have another idea. My rez (<24 hours) was changed from time of booking. While it is not within the terms for a free change, DL did change my outbound for free although that issue was also not within terms (change <hour difference). I'm arriving now about 40 minutes later than my original flight and my connection went from 2 hours to 3 hours. Might I have any success just asking them to change the flight to the earlier second segment? So not technically SDC/SDS but effectively the same? Wasn't sure if b/c <24 hrs it was too late.

"There has been a change affecting your trip. If you are not satisfied with this updated itinerary, you may be eligible to change your flight(s) at no extra cost. ( Conditions Apply)
If you are satisfied with your selection, you can check in for your confirmed flight(s) now."
Did you make the first change before or after the schedule change to the return? If you made it after then technically youve used your one free change. However regardless you may be able to get an agent to change it. Just mention you noticed there was changes to your return. You qualify since the time changes on the reservation are added together. Thus 40 min plus 1 hour is over 90 minutes in changes. Give a call.
Old May 22, 2017, 12:23 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
You can use the mobile passport app at ATL, last time I used it, it was super fast, almost as fast as global entry.
Old May 22, 2017, 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by pvn
You can use the mobile passport app at ATL, last time I used it, it was super fast, almost as fast as global entry.
It was closed last time I was forced to stand in their lines. And the "friendly" agents were apparently on a work slow down. (Christmas week is a good time to do that, I guess. Seriously it took three hours and there was no reason besides, failure to man most booths and purposeful "slowness". Check on passenger, ask about most of their stamps. Approve them. Pick up phone, talk on it, leave booth, disappear. Come back repeat process for next passenger, leave booth go chat with your buddy at another booth, come back etc......) NIGHTMARE!

My mother does not have global entry so we were stuck in the line.... My tax dollars at waste!
Old May 22, 2017, 1:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Did you make the first change before or after the schedule change to the return? If you made it after then technically youve used your one free change. However regardless you may be able to get an agent to change it. Just mention you noticed there was changes to your return. You qualify since the time changes on the reservation are added together. Thus 40 min plus 1 hour is over 90 minutes in changes. Give a call.
I'm not 100% sure. It's possible return changed again in the last two weeks. I only changed the outbound and I honestly didn't realize how much the inbound change was until today. I got the tix in Sept, so didn't pay much attention. Hold time was ridic, so I tweeted and now a DM to @deltaassist. Hopefully will get it worked out. Orig: 4:15-10:26 in total; Now: 3:40-11:01. I realize that's not a huge difference but various things have come up that necessitate arriving as early as possible. Hopefully can get on that 9:30 flight.
Old May 22, 2017, 1:39 pm
Original Poster

It was closed last time I was forced to stand in their lines. And the "friendly" agents were apparently on a work slow down. (Christmas week is a good time to do that, I guess. Seriously it took three hours and there was no reason besides, failure to man most booths and purposeful "slowness". Check on passenger, ask about most of their stamps. Approve them. Pick up phone, talk on it, leave booth, disappear. Come back repeat process for next passenger, leave booth go chat with your buddy at another booth, come back etc......) NIGHTMARE!

My mother does not have global entry so we were stuck in the line.... My tax dollars at waste!
Geez. And see I'd be in the same boat. Traveling with my dad as far as ATL.
Old May 22, 2017, 2:04 pm
Original Poster

You. Guys. DL rocks tonight. They have put me on the earlier flight. The flights had changed like 5 times over these months and DL really came through for me. I think it was pretty obvious that I legitimately had cause to ask for the switch. I really dig that they were able to help me online so I didn't have to wait for a call back. Gave them 10* feedback after resolved. Thanks to all who provided advice!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.