Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

How do I upgrade w/ miles when booking through non-Delta site?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2017, 8:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta

Flying international, Japan to Seattle, I've found a better deal through a non-Delta website (Fareness). In the past, I've always booked through the Delta site, which makes easy to choose a seat or change seats later, etc. If I book the flight through Fareness, will I later be able to upgrade with miles, change my seat, etc. through the Delta website?
Old May 17, 2017, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For long haul international flights, only K or higher fares can be upgraded with miles. Highly unlikely that whatever fare you found is going to be eligible.
Old May 17, 2017, 8:12 pm
Original Poster

Ah, good point. Thanks.
Old May 17, 2017, 8:38 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by nishimark
Ah, good point. Thanks.
Also, mileage upgrades can't be done online. You need to call to check availability as well as process the upgrade.
Old May 17, 2017, 8:41 pm
Original Poster

How about paying more for a C+ seat? Could I do that after booking through a discounter?
Old May 17, 2017, 8:49 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by nishimark
How about paying more for a C+ seat? Could I do that after booking through a discounter?
TPAC flights sell C+ as a separate fare class so there isn't an option to buy as a seat upgrade fee.

You may be able to do so via Delta reservations but expect to pay a difference in fare, possibly change fee, and a $50 ticket processing fee charged for Delta to touch a third party issued ticket.
Old May 17, 2017, 8:51 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all. I appreciate the help.
Old May 17, 2017, 9:40 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by TTT
TPAC flights sell C+ as a separate fare class so there isn't an option to buy as a seat upgrade fee.

You may be able to do so via Delta reservations but expect to pay a difference in fare, possibly change fee, and a $50 ticket processing fee charged for Delta to touch a third party issued ticket.
Delta does not charge a change fee when upgrading to a higher fare or cabin on the same flight. This used to be a very common favor that agents do, but I now believe that it is policy.
Old May 18, 2017, 5:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Delta does not charge a change fee when upgrading to a higher fare or cabin on the same flight. This used to be a very common favor that agents do, but I now believe that it is policy.
There's a catch for long-haul international. Officially, either the fare difference is charged, or the change fee if it is greater than the fare difference. For shorter haul flights, they are only supposed to collect the fare difference. Policy is documented here --

https://pro.delta.com/content/agency...e-policy-.html
Old May 18, 2017, 7:48 am

Originally Posted by LBJ
There's a catch for long-haul international. Officially, either the fare difference is charged, or the change fee if it is greater than the fare difference. For shorter haul flights, they are only supposed to collect the fare difference. Policy is documented here --

https://pro.delta.com/content/agency...e-policy-.html
Interesting, I did not know that. Is this international policy as easy to get a waiver on the change fee (if this is what is applied) as it used to be when it was technically required for domestic?
Old May 18, 2017, 8:29 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Interesting, I did not know that. Is this international policy as easy to get a waiver on the change fee (if this is what is applied) as it used to be when it was technically required for domestic?
Read the policy again. In most cases you would just paythe fare difference.

its just when the difference is less than the change fee, they want at minimum the couple hundred bucks collected. Not a big deal to go from Y to J - I would happily pay the main cabin change fee as the greater of the two amounts for such an upgrade (which likely doesn't exist).
Old May 18, 2017, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by LBJ
For long haul international flights, only K or higher fares can be upgraded with miles. Highly unlikely that whatever fare you found is going to be eligible.
OP really needs to review all the details - including the footnotes - of Delta mileage upgrade awards. He also needs a published fare. There are several different ways a 3rd-party purchase could go sideways here.

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...de-awards.html
Old May 18, 2017, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by btonkid12345
Read the policy again. In most cases you would just paythe fare difference.

its just when the difference is less than the change fee, they want at minimum the couple hundred bucks collected. Not a big deal to go from Y to J - I would happily pay the main cabin change fee as the greater of the two amounts for such an upgrade (which likely doesn't exist).
Not exactly. International change fees can be over $400. I don't see this coming into play very often, if ever, with Y-->J, but could very well be an issue once PE is rolled out. What if you purchased a $1500 coach fare and then later found PE for $1700. I would hope you could just pay the $200 fare difference to buy up, and I hope you could do it without spending an hour on the phone.
Old May 18, 2017, 9:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by TTT

Note the Expedia owned sites have agreements with DL and most airlines to have the airline handle changes after initial ticketing. No fee charged to takeover.
Old May 22, 2017, 4:32 pm

Programs: DL PM 2 Mil Miler, HZ PC, Marriott LT TI, AMB, Hilton Diamond
Do the same rules apply if I use a business required travel agency?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.