Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta one

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2017, 3:06 am

Originally Posted by USCTrojan83
I think what bugs me the most about this system is that there is no in-between. A few weeks ago I wanted a last minute trip LAX-AMS, but won't fly coach. My options were paying $8500 r/t ($2300 in coach) or trying to use GUC. That price point is so steep that the product is hardly worth it. Why not offer a cash upgrade option at t-minus 24, if even for $1-2k? Why would they rather give the seat to a non-rev than make a few thousand off of it. Makes zero sense to me.
Generally, because there are businesses (and some individuals) that will pay the $8500 but not if they know there is a cheaper way with a good chance of success.

Some airlines (e.g. United) occasionally offer discounted cash upgrades at check-in, but they are randomly selected so you can't plan on it. And this is very intentional on their part.

Last edited by bost; Apr 15, 2017 at 3:13 am
Old Apr 15, 2017, 9:45 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by bost
Some airlines (e.g. United) occasionally offer discounted cash upgrades at check-in, but they are randomly selected so you can't plan on it. And this is very intentional on their part.
Delta does this. I don't think it is random, I think the offers are made in a calculated manner. The specifics are proprietary, but for example some have speculated that the offers are targeted to those who don't frequently buy J but who might if they experience it.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 1:18 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, LH, Marriott Titanium, National Executive Elite
Was just in the same boat, SEA-AMS, t-3 hours to departure, 7 D1 seats available. Quoted upgrade $8,127 from C+ (that's one way).

Yet another reason why I much prefer BA for the West Coast to EU flights, decent business class I fares and ability to upgrade for less than 1k in many (most?) cases when space is available.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MeanwhileBackAtFAI
Was just in the same boat, SEA-AMS, t-3 hours to departure, 7 D1 seats available. Quoted upgrade $8,127 from C+ (that's one way).

Yet another reason why I much prefer BA for the West Coast to EU flights, decent business class I fares and ability to upgrade for less than 1k in many (most?) cases when space is available.
C+ is not a separate fare class on TATL routes, so technically you were upgrading from whatever coach fare you purchased (no credit is given for C+ purchases since they are just an add-on option, not an actual change in fare class).

If they were to make D1 upgrades consistently "reasonable", I suspect people like me who use GUC's to upgrade would find them considerably less valuable when waitlisting. I've used 6 out of 8 GUC's so far and all were waitlisted gate upgrades. I've missed on two seats so far (with companion on DTW-NRT flight).
Old Apr 16, 2017, 10:44 pm

Programs: DL PM & NRSA, AA Gold, ANA Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, National EC Exec, GE, CLEAR
Originally Posted by davetravels
Yes, so was I, actually.
With regards to a relaxed dress code, there is still one there.

As far as relaxing it goes, its pretty obvious actually. Because you'd be able to tell NRSAs from a mile away. I mean really, who else would wear a suit on a 7 hour redeye?

Even now, we're barred from wearing Pj's or anything else that could make us look like tools. But in that respect, ymmv.

As far as my dress goes, I'm fairly consistent. Just look for some awkward kid wearing a gray unzipped sweatshirt and mesh sweatpants
--chances are, it's me.

​​​​​​On another note, as far as non-rev upgrades go, just imagine every time you fly being at the dead bottom of the list and instead of fighting for a seat in F you're staking out a middle seat in the dead back.

It's insanely rare even without upgraders to get more than 3 nonrevs upgraded on most flights -let alone 30.

Truly flying standby.. It's something. Oh, well there is one perk. YBYL doesn't apply.

​​​​​​
Old Apr 16, 2017, 10:58 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by TheLifeOfA_NKCM
As far as my dress goes, I'm fairly consistent. Just look for some awkward kid wearing a gray unzipped sweatshirt and mesh sweatpants
--chances are, it's me. ​​​​​​
Once, I was flying to AMS on the upper deck of a KLM 747, and VERY close to landing time, I woke up and looked over at the guy sitting next to me (who was wearing sweatpants when when I dozed off) - - is NOW in his white briefs changing into slightly nicer attire.

Was that YOU?!?!?
Old Apr 16, 2017, 11:03 pm

Programs: DL PM & NRSA, AA Gold, ANA Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, National EC Exec, GE, CLEAR
Originally Posted by davetravels
Once, I was flying to AMS on the upper deck of a KLM 747, and VERY close to landing time, I woke up and looked over at the guy sitting next to me (who was wearing sweatpants when when I dozed off) - - is NOW in his white briefs changing into slightly nicer attire.

Was that YOU?!?!?
LOL, no. Wait, let me make sure I'm reading this right.. Briefs as in underwear?.. Well, that had to be a rather um settling few minutes.

​​​​​
Old Apr 16, 2017, 11:11 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
LOL, no. Wait, let me make sure I'm reading this right.. Briefs as in underwear?.. Well, that had to be a rather um settling few minutes.

​​​​​
Briefs, yupp, as in tighty whities! In KLM World Business Class!

Unsettling (I think you mean)??? Nah. That's nuthin' compared to some of the thingz I've seen around the world.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 12:44 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, LH, Marriott Titanium, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by MeanwhileBackAtFAI

Just to close the loop on my previous comment; all D1 seats were occupied when the plane departed. At least that's some good news for those who had GUCs that there was some availability.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 10:11 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Even now, we're barred from wearing Pj's or anything else that could make us look like tools. But in that respect, ymmv.

​​​​​​
Ouch!

-Awkward Kid in the PJS
Old Apr 18, 2017, 3:33 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by tennessetom
Employees are not the issue. Employees should have benefits. it is the couple celebrating their engagement that got the buddy pass from a friend of a friend
So you are ok with couples celebrating their engagement on a paid D1 ticket but you are not happy with a couple celebrating the same on a buddy pas
Old Feb 24, 2018, 3:43 pm

Full paid? Tip o' the hat to a true one-percenter!
Old Jun 6, 2019, 7:26 am

All airlines give their employees upgrade privileges to premium or business/first - it's part of their benefit/compensation package. Otherwise they would have to pay them much more than they do and you would all be paying for a much higher ticket to cover that. It's the same way you get stock options or other entitlements or benefits in the corporate world. Premium seating is generally reserved for the wealthy or the business traveler - if you're not getting booked into a business class ticket as a corporate employee of your company than you should probably talk to your employer - it's not the fault of the airline that you're not sitting where you think you should.
Dave737 likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 7:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by SDQBound
So you are ok with couples celebrating their engagement on a paid D1 ticket but you are not happy with a couple celebrating the same on a buddy pas
No reread their post. If it was their own buddy pass I don't think they'd have issue. It's the ones that are basically buying buddy passes instead of paying the actual fare. Of course this has a lot to do with ethics/morals of the employee as well.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 7:39 am

Upgrades and Profits

Originally Posted by tennessetom
Right it is all about the pricing preminum but the pricing has caused an oversupply of empty seats which leads to the buddy pass issue which leads to a product that is not premium if you think the soft product is important.
On the importance of branding
The whole point of the higher ticket cost in business or first class is to keep it an elite product. If you can't afford it that doesn't mean it's priced incorrectly. There are plenty of companies and individuals who purchase full fare tickets all the time. Airlines are operating at record profits with loads higher than they have ever been - so the system of keeping their preferred passengers (i.e those who pay the full fare) and their employees happy at the same time seems to be working just fine.
Dave737 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.