Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta one

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2017, 8:59 am

Programs: DL Platinum, 1 MM
Originally Posted by pitpit
Yeah, it's hard for me to tell if the OPs complaint is in non-revs being put in D1 or in the behaviors of passengers he doesn't feel are up to snuff with what he envisions D1 should be...
I find it interesting how on FT statements and arguments morph into exactly the opposite from the original post. The OP asked what people thought Delta wanted the brand D1 to stand for. He looked at exclusivity, but then pointed out that the non-rev upgrade policy seems to contradict that. He then asked the question whether from a branding point of view - if exclusivity was indeed the goal - it wouldn't be better to upgrade their best customers.

I didn't see him/her complain, I am sure somebody will prove me wrong.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 9:07 am

Programs: DL:360/DM/6 MMer; Bonvoy: Lifetime Titanium 10+M pts, 3100+ nights;
To me, the D1 brand means overcooked filets.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 9:16 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by Keith2004
The person taking selfies and taking pictures of meals isn't always a non-rev

Could be somebody doing a trip report or somebody that just doesn't do it often

Not sure why this would take away from your experience
Is this really the first time you've encountered the "I AM MAD THAT OTHER PEOPLE ARE HAPPY" type complaints on the internet?
Old Apr 13, 2017, 9:17 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by tennessetom
Last four flight I have been on there have been an average of 30 non revs in d1.
This number is a ridiculous claim. Were you reading the manifest? How could you possibly know this?

In general I have not found this to be a problem. However, one time on a redeye a pax who appeared to friends with an FA kept coming up to the F galley from Y to get snacks and drinks and, most annoyingly of all, chat with the FA (most annoying because it was a redeye).
Old Apr 13, 2017, 9:26 am

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by drminn
I find it interesting how on FT statements and arguments morph into exactly the opposite from the original post. The OP asked what people thought Delta wanted the brand D1 to stand for. He looked at exclusivity, but then pointed out that the non-rev upgrade policy seems to contradict that. He then asked the question whether from a branding point of view - if exclusivity was indeed the goal - it wouldn't be better to upgrade their best customers.

I didn't see him/her complain, I am sure somebody will prove me wrong.
You are right, no complaining but certainly contains overtones of superiority. How dare those pleeb's be in the exclusive D1 cabin with someone of his/her stature! The nerve of DL!

That being said, I'm with the OP, I (selfishly as a PM) wish there was a way I could get into D1 without paying (aka upgrade). But there isn't

Even if there was complimentary upgrades we'd see similar threads like this about how the "upgraders" don't know how to behave.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by flyerCO
As far as noise, that can be paying passengers. Not everyone in D1 is flying for work.
I have only ever flown int'l J (including D1) for leisure, almost always with Mrs. Lee. All our tickets are paid for using cash or miles because we don't like playing the UG game while on vacation.

She takes lots of selfies. I've gotten photos in the cockpit. We talk to each other at a reasonable level and maybe stay up "later" than others watching movies or getting the non-abbreviated meal service. We tend to be friendly with the FAs because we're on vacation and in a good mood. We're not carrying on and having a party or anything, but if I want to stay awake, quietly talk to my wife, and have a couple extra glasses of wine, I'm going to do just that. There are eyemasks and earplugs in the Tumi kits if others happen to be light sleepers.

Sorry, OP, but our experience is just as valid as anyone else's in that cabin. Arguably moreso than a DM who has gotten upgraded from a coach ticket.

Originally Posted by tennessetom
understand what the strategy is.

Delta can do whatever they want I am just asking what the thought is
I believe DL's strategy/thought is to make as much profit as possible. Not really anything hidden or ambiguous about that. I'd assume that their product, pricing, and upgrade/nonrev policies are designed to do exactly that.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 9:53 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by ChiefNWA
Delta wants to make it an "elite" experience, not an experience for frequent flyers. The target would be passengers paying for J, not passengers using free upgrades.
OP is asking about branding perception; if the perception (certainly it seems to be on Flyertalk) that the D1 cabin is packed to the gills with nonrevs/buddy pass fliers, why would someone be the sucker to pay exorbitant J prices?
Old Apr 13, 2017, 10:06 am

Programs: DL-Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by pvn
Is this really the first time you've encountered the "I AM MAD THAT OTHER PEOPLE ARE HAPPY" type complaints on the internet?
Not at all LOL

Was curious what this persons reasoning was,
That Delta One is not all people wanting express service then straight to sleep is an affront to high class elite passengers.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 10:17 am

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by pokeable
OP is asking about branding perception; if the perception (certainly it seems to be on Flyertalk) that the D1 cabin is packed to the gills with nonrevs/buddy pass fliers, why would someone be the sucker to pay exorbitant J prices?
So if an employee at my local Benz dealer gets 8% off invoice, does that mean I shouldn't be a "sucker" and pay a dime more than him?

The nonrev pass riding system is a benefit of working for the airline. Who's seated in D1 shouldn't be a concern of someone purchasing J.

I've purchased seats up front before (on other carriers) and not once did I sit back and think about who I might be sitting with, it's irrelevant.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 10:18 am

To directly respond to the brand question

I don't think when Delta says "exclusive" cabin it means only one type of premium traveler.

Delta One can be
1. Business traveler that wants sleep/express service (See eye mask/ear plugs in Tumi)
2. Leisure Traveler paid or via miles, wants full experience, sleep not priority
3. Non Revs, similar to #2
4. Upgraders, Mix of #1 and #2

Delta One is for all of the above, When I am in Delta One I am firmly in #2 . I had a couple Delta One flights already this year, one was JFK-AMS red-eye, some passengers went straight to sleep and skipped meals entirely, Me and my +1 (both full paid D1 customers) Took Selfies B4 Take of, utilized full meal service, and stayed up to watch a couple movies.

I plan to do the same on upcoming D1 flights particularly ones on 747 upper deck...who would wanna sleep that away
Old Apr 13, 2017, 10:22 am

So if an employee at my local Benz dealer gets 8% off invoice, does that mean I shouldn't be a "sucker" and pay a dime more than him?

The nonrev pass riding system is a benefit of working for the airline. Who's seated in D1 shouldn't be a concern of someone purchasing J.

I've purchased seats up front before (on other carriers) and not once did I sit back and think about who I might be sitting with, it's irrelevant.

Exactly!

+ Even passengers in Y could be sitting next to Non-revs flying for free or people who got a much better deal.

What your neighbor paid/didn't pay for their seat should not matter to you, obviously if you paid what you paid, that's what the seat was worth to you.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 10:31 am

Airlines historically have also gotten away with paying employees less than market rate as flights is one of the best benefits an entry level employee can get in any industry. It's really part of employees pay, it's just some people aren't as discreet as they should be.

And honestly it's hard to nonrev these days. It's not even the international part but if you don't live in a city in international flights, getting to the hub is rough a lot of days.

I have gotten on several 5-6am flights to get to JFK or ATL to catch an evening flight to Europe. It's not exactly glamorous most days.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 10:31 am

i'm flying up front with a 2 year old this weekend - this thread is making me excited to deal with everyone
Old Apr 13, 2017, 10:35 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond

Originally Posted by Keith2004
Exactly!

+ Even passengers in Y could be sitting next to Non-revs flying for free or people who got a much better deal.

What your neighbor paid/didn't pay for their seat should not matter to you, obviously if you paid what you paid, that's what the seat was worth to you.
Beyond that, when I ride full fare, I don't get annoyed or concern myself with the fact that there are some people up front who were op-uped or used instruments. It doesn't matter to me and has no impact. If a customer is disruptive, that's one thing, but that's IME not at all linked to the method of how that passenger ended up in whatever cabin. In fact, IME, NRSA are generally the most well-behaved (when you even know who they are) aboard, and I know from experience that most go to great lengths to avoid being annoying or disruptive.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 10:45 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by JayTeaBee
I'll be in D1 for the first time later this year, LAX-SYD, and likely be taking a few selfies (and I expect my wife will be as well.) Then we will probably take some pictures of eatchother! Then we may ask a FA to take a picture of us together! Sorry in advance! I can't afford D1 but I stockpiled miles for years to get this opportunity. I'm quite respectful and a frequent flyer so I know how to behave on an airplane. But there will be selfies!!! lol
Nothing to be sorry about. I have been lucking to be in D1 a few times and always get a little giddy

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.