Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta one

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2017, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by tennessetom
Yes I know there is a thread on non revs. I was more interested in understanding what delta wants the brand to represent but maybe the answer is nothing
I really don't have a dog in this fight since my domestic D1 experiences occur thru SDCs and my intl D1 experiences have been carefully choreographed award redemptions

I suggest that, on high-demand routes (TCON and some international), DL wants the brand to represent a unique (exclusive-ish) experience for their paying customers ... in contrast, on lower-demand international routes, I think they're perfectly happy to dangle it as an enticement for non-revving employees
Old Apr 12, 2017, 10:11 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
I was chatting with a DM and some PMs and thought of a proper system for Delta to show real appreciation for loyalty. I understand one could just charge 25K on a Gold AMEX and fly on cheap sub 1000 dollar main cabin fares to Asia a few times and be DM.

Delta should offer upgrades to Diamonds that have had 3+ consecutive years international upgrades and PMs that have had 5+ consecutive years upgrades. I understand it's a premium product but not sure how offering upgrades to your most loyal clients lowers the prestige.

Many would enjoy getting lucky to be in a D1 seat for one segment. Many can't afford to just buy it. Just spend a lot of time traveling on Delta. If all of those types of people are placed and some non-revs get the seats. Fine.

However a friend and I flew DTW-NRT and multiple empty seats in D1. I'm a PM on first year I don't expect it. However she is a multiple year diamond and from her bulkhead C+ seat can see them. We can't afford those seats but luckily being placed in one after years of loyalty would be nice. Something to show appreciation from Delta. A frequent flyer program giving something MORE... how quaint.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 10:20 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
dinanm3atl:

DMs get a Choice Benefit option every year of 4 Global Upgrade Certificates.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 10:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Yes I know there is a thread on non revs. I was more interested in understanding what delta wants the brand to represent but maybe the answer is nothing
Delta is simply protecting its precious premium cabin yields. To their credit, they seem to invest more than AA and UA on the inflight experience, so they don't want D1 to become upgraders class a-la-United and would rather give it to their own employees than making the product easily accessible to regular pax to avoid setting the expectation that they can easily get it without actually having to pay business class rates.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 12:00 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by fly747first
Delta is simply protecting its precious premium cabin yields. To their credit, they seem to invest more than AA and UA on the inflight experience, so they don't want D1 to become upgraders class a-la-United and would rather give it to their own employees than making the product easily accessible to regular pax to avoid setting the expectation that they can easily get it without actually having to pay business class rates.
United doesn't have CPUs on any route where DL has D1 service, does it?

In fact I think non-rev is even more of a hot button issue on the UA forum, so much so that you can't even make a joking reference to non-rev travel there without your post being deleted by a mod to preemptively stave off a non-rev discussion (ask me how I know )

​​​​​
Old Apr 13, 2017, 5:06 am

Programs: DL DM
Why don't people simply purchase the desired class of travel. If they can't afford it, so be it. There is a product for every budget.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 6:17 am

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
I 100%, completely and without any areas of grey agree with you. BUT, you need to understand its ALL US carriers and not just Delta. US airlines fill their international premium cabin with nonrevs when not filled with paying passengers. Its what they do. Understand its not Delta specific.

Many on this board will chase you with pitchforks stating its their job benefit, they deserve it, blah blah. Irrespective, as a paying passenger your opinion is equally if not more important than those who fly on passes and for free (careful, many will yell at you that since they pay $600 in taxes its not free).

You are absolutely right that US carriers are inconsistent. They preach exclusivity, high cost, difficulty to upgrade, then dump all their employees, friends of employees, selfie-taking yoga pants wearing 18 year girls using flash during dinner on a 10 hour night flight, groups of friends going backpacking in Europe for the summer, and even a group of teens who had been out all night in Amsterdam who wreaked of sweat and Weed that was so bad that DL made a none-rev in row 1 switch with me, into business. Ive had flights otherwise quiet peaceful and emptied ruined by non-revs over the last 10 years. Its not worth going through all these stories.

The bottom line is, thats its NOT Delta specific, its US airlines and its not going to change. But I hear you my friend, I hear you!
Old Apr 13, 2017, 6:27 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by bubbashow
Why don't people simply purchase the desired class of travel. If they can't afford it, so be it. There is a product for every budget.
I agree with you, but where we disagree and what you consistently miss, is that some people are purchasing a product which is Y/Y+ plus the potential for an upgrade according to certain priorities and procedures, so while some people, yes, are overentitled, it's also possible that there can arise legitimate questions as to the priorities and procedures and whether they were followed.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 6:44 am

Programs: HH-Diamond, IHG-Plat, DL-DM, PnF Plat, Kroger +
I hear you also. As a PM, I don't' get GUC so not able to get an upgrade on long flights sux sometimes. I will probably never make DM but they should get at least some kind of upgrades on these long flights.

I completely agree that a "premium" experience should be for "premium" passengers.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 7:16 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Psyduck1
How do you know who the nonrevs are?
That is what I want to know as well.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 7:23 am

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Widgets
As a nonrev it's frustrating to see other nonrevs being annoying with all the selfies and indiscreet chatter. Employees get in trouble for acting like that with celebrity passengers.
I've flown, on average, around 200K miles a year as a nonrev (mostly Intl) for the last 3-4 years or so. I've rarely encountered these overly intrusive and annoying buddy pass riders people are always referring to. I'm sure it happens but you have to keep in mind, much of DL's TATL operations serve leisure markets. Next time you board a flight to FCO, BCN or DUB, take a look at the cleared list and you'll notice that the "loud" passengers are split between revenue couples or children and nonrevs. On the contrary, nonrevs have a much better reason to be on their best behavior.

Last four flight I have been on there have been an average of 30 non revs in d1. Might be because it was winter. But my point is not to start and argument but to understand what the strategy is. I think we all agree they have made it increasingly difficult for elites to get upgraded. This has resulted in a totally different passenger mix. I have flown Talt twice a month for the last seven years so I base this on a large sample size. Also, They aren't selling as many seats because corp policies have changed they make it difficult to pay on your own

Delta can do whatever they want I am just asking what the thought is
Please... 30? Like I said above, with as many miles as I've flown nonrev I haven't seen a cabin that empty in at least a year. Contrary to your sampling, load factors in D1 have been much higher due to the decreased capacity TATL and TPAC making it very difficult for nonrevs to get D1. Maybe your flights were one-offs, but I assure you, 30 open D1 seats is beyond abnormal.

Originally Posted by Psyduck1
How do you know who the nonrevs are?
They smell and wear matching underwear, you didn't know?

Delta wants to make it an "elite" experience, not an experience for frequent flyers. The target would be passengers paying for J, not passengers using free upgrades.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 7:30 am

Can someone explain exactly what deltas strategy is for this product. They want it to be an "elite" experience so they make it very difficult for elite members to upgrade. This results in the average flght having twenty or so paid passengers and a bunch of non revs or folks on buddy passes. this results in two passengers expecting entirely different things. The business traveler especially on the European routes is paying to get sleep to a large degree the buddy pass folks are trying to enjoy the delta one experience lots of selfies giggling over dinner etc. it was not like this pre the change to only Diamonds having gucs

I have mostly switched to British air or American I feel like I get what I paid for most passengers are either paid or elite upgrades on business and have the same goal for the flight quick meal followed by sleep. Every once in awhile I fly delta one because I needs the miles to get to diamond ( I like their domestic product) and each time the experience is worse

I get that delta can do whatever they want with their seats but I totally don't get their strategy or how they think they are creating an elite experience with the current passenger mix.
So your concern is less that DMs dont get upgraded and more than the 'non-revs' are going to be loud, rude and disrespectful thereby making it a poor experience for those who are paying for D1??

Valid concern, but i've seen loud and rude pax in all classes of business whether its LGA-DCA or LAX-NRT. I think your beef should be more about FA's who choose to ignore inappropriate behavior than it should be about the non-rev enjoying a benefit of their employment.

I was in (paid) D1 with a few friends last fall JFK-AMS. As the flight left around 5pm we were in no mood to sleep and after dinner opted to have some more drinks and socialize. This didn't jive well with the pax who were trying to sleep (presumably they were on business while we were headed to a bachelor party). The FA eventually asked us to stay in our seats so as not to disturb the pax who wanted to sleep, which we did. But nonetheless, a few people on the flight had a poor sleeping experience due to us.

I'm not trying to excuse my actions (while I think we should be allowed to talk on an airplane, i get that on a 6 hour redeye many people are trying to sleep), rather just say that it's not always non-rev's who are ruining your travel experience.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 7:48 am

Programs: DL-Diamond, Marriott Titanium
The person taking selfies and taking pictures of meals isn't always a non-rev

Could be somebody doing a trip report or somebody that just doesn't do it often

Not sure why this would take away from your experience
Old Apr 13, 2017, 8:03 am

Programs: Delta PM
I'll be in D1 for the first time later this year, LAX-SYD, and likely be taking a few selfies (and I expect my wife will be as well.) Then we will probably take some pictures of eatchother! Then we may ask a FA to take a picture of us together! Sorry in advance! I can't afford D1 but I stockpiled miles for years to get this opportunity. I'm quite respectful and a frequent flyer so I know how to behave on an airplane. But there will be selfies!!! lol
Old Apr 13, 2017, 8:15 am

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Ambassador Platinum
Originally Posted by JayTeaBee
I'll be in D1 for the first time later this year, LAX-SYD, and likely be taking a few selfies (and I expect my wife will be as well.) Then we will probably take some pictures of eatchother! Then we may ask a FA to take a picture of us together! Sorry in advance! I can't afford D1 but I stockpiled miles for years to get this opportunity. I'm quite respectful and a frequent flyer so I know how to behave on an airplane. But there will be selfies!!! lol
Yeah, it's hard for me to tell if the OPs complaint is in non-revs being put in D1 or in the behaviors of passengers he doesn't feel are up to snuff with what he envisions D1 should be...
J0lt_C0la likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.