Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

April 5, 2017: Delta cancels 300 flights due to thunderstorm

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 8, 2017, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Renes Points
Great explanation about Crew Tracking & Scheduling and what went wrong: Post #590

[Feel free to edit / add to the timeline of DL events.]

First waver ATL only and only 5-7 and by 11th: https://web.archive.org/web/20170406...perations.html

Second waver "all" hubs and 5-9 and by 16th: https://web.archive.org/web/20170407...perations.html

April 6th COO Gil West apology and blames "unprecedented" ( 5 hour ) storm / weather: http://news.delta.com/chief-operatin...cedented-storm

April 7 & 8 Five things to know list: http://news.delta.com/5-things-custo...tions-saturday

April 7th In midst of service fail Delta devalues SkyMiles with partners: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...000-miles.html

April 8th updates on operations: http://news.delta.com/operational-re...ontinues-today

April 12th will be $DAL earnings live and should yield more info: http://ir.delta.com/news-and-events/...s/default.aspx

April 9, 11:40 PM (EDT): What appears to be the last cancellation of the meltdown was made for DL2682/10Apr BOS-LGA (717 aircraft)

April 11th - Delta begins to pay out compensation for impacted travelers: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1835970-early-april-operation-disruption-compensation.html

Other coverage of the event:

Pilots board relating to this epic fail: https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/d...-atl-irop.html

Factors compounding delays/cancellations:
  • Weather in ATL April 5
  • DL terminating interline with AA
  • Delta's systems crashing/overloaded
  • DL's crew scheduling system crashed [rumor?]
  • Rumored short-term power outage in ATL A concourse caused by airport construction some time around Tuesday-Wednesday

Current delay statistics: Flightaware's live flight delay and cancellation statistics

News coverage:

BuzzFeedNews: Delta Has Canceled Thousands Of Flights And Everyone Is In Hell - No spring break is safe. (Posted on April 7, 2017, at 11:59 a.m.)

The Southampton Press: Cancelled Flight Dashes Disney Dream For Hampton Bays Marching Band (April 7, 2017 11:30 AM)

USA Today: Thousands of Delta flights canceled days after storms (Published 8:53 a.m. ET April 8, 2017)

CNN - Delta meltdown: Pilots are on hold, too (Updated 6:52 PM ET, Sat April 8, 2017)

The Wall Street Journal - Delta Struggles to Recover From Last Week’s Storms (April 9, 2017 12:23 p.m. ET)

AJC.com: Delta woes stretch into Sunday with more cancellations (11:57 a.m. Sunday, April 9, 2017)

AJC.com: Why one day of thunderstorms turned into a five-day Delta meltdown (12:01 p.m Sunday, April 9, 2017)

Detroit Free Press: Headaches continue for Delta fliers in Detroit (Published 2:26 p.m. ET April 9, 2017 Updated 5:54 p.m. ET April 9, 2017)

CNN - Delta tries to 'normalize' as flight cancellations continue (Updated 4:06 PM ET, Sun April 9, 2017)

New York Times: Storms, Though Over, Still Disrupt Delta Flights (APRIL 9, 2017)

NewsChannel5.com - Nashville Man's Body Stranded After Delta Flight Chaos (4:24 PM April 9, 2017)

CBS North Carolina: Raleigh parents upset after son’s body stranded during Delta flight chaos (April 9, 2017, 8:14 pm Updated: April 10, 2017, 5:35 am)

AJC.com: Delta reassures customers as delays continue through weekend (5:53 p.m Sunday, April 9, 2017)

AJC.com: Hundreds of stranded bags left at Hartsfield-Jackson in aftermath of Delta flight cancellations (9:29 a.m. Monday, April 10, 2017)

Bloomberg: Delta Delays Drag On, Testing Passengers' Patience (April 9, 2017, 4:10 PM EDT Updated On April 10, 2017, 10:13 AM EDT)

BuzzFeedNews: Delta Suffered "Failure of Crew Tracking Systems" During Cancelled Flight Fiasco - "I feel like we are lost in the system." (Originally posted on April 11, 2017, at 3:28 p.m. Updated on April 12, 2017, at 10:38 a.m. )

Reuters (posted on BusinessInsider): Delta's profit drops 36.3% (Apr. 12, 2017, 7:20 AM)

AJC.com - Accused child rapist caught at airport when flight is delayed (7:39 p.m Thursday, April 13, 2017)
Print Wikipost

April 5, 2017: Delta cancels 300 flights due to thunderstorm

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2017, 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by NWAFA
I didn't say anything about pro-union anything. You did. But it is strange that the only people quitting are non-union.

I'm just putting the info out there do what you will with it. Just keep telling yourself about the great service you're getting in the latest Delta melt-down.

Fly Safe!

NWA FA
I call it pro-union propaganda because you're trying to describe the unionized pilots as well taken care of in contrast to the FAs who you're describing as being screwed without hotels or meals. I'm guessing as a NWA FA you used to be unionized and either retired or wish you were unionized now. I'll take my 6% raise from last week and remember why Delta doesn't need a union to mess things up. My only local coworkers who support unionizing are lazy/rude to customers, don't care about doing their jobs well, and likely just want job security to protect them from bad performance reviews. I suspect the same pattern prevails across the system.

I haven't heard of masses of people quitting because of this IROP anywhere. TBH it's not really that bad on the employee side. Employees who want to work extra get to work extra.

Last edited by Widgets; Apr 9, 2017 at 3:18 pm
Old Apr 9, 2017, 3:11 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive

Ed is playing golf in MIA while Rome burns.
Update: That would be Ed is at Mar a Lago.
That would be a bad look if true.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 3:16 pm

Programs: dl dm, *g
Originally Posted by Widgets
Most states (maybe every state) have maximum workday hours.
... and I am sure that Delta has found the few states that don't and plopped a call center there
Old Apr 9, 2017, 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by gloyster
... and I am sure that Delta has found the few states that don't and plopped a call center there
Haha. But IME, Delta has gone to state legislatures and lobbied for better work rules that its employees support. I testified at my state legislature on behalf of a bill supported by Delta. It benefited both employees and the company. Remember... happy employees don't vote for a union. Delta knows that, so it keeps its employees happy.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 3:21 pm

Programs: DL-Pyrite Medallion
There's been a lot of discussion here about whether the Crew Scheduling computer system "went down". Some have pointed to the thread on the AirlinePilotCentral forums as proof that it did. I was right in the middle of this having started a 4 day trip on Wed afternoon and just finishing last night and as far as I know, the computers never went 'down'. What my fellow pilots meant on that thread was that holistically, the entire system of rerouting and more importantly communicating those changes broke down. This is not the first time it's happened, and there are calls to fix it every time it does, but those changes come slowly. I will say that there were some things enacted during this IROP that came from 'lessons learned' from previous ones that may have helped, but obviously they weren't enough given the outcome.

I should start by saying that what many of you are calling Crew Scheduling is actually what we call Crew Tracking. Crew Scheduling is in charge of making sure that there is a complete set of pilots or F/As to start their trips. That trip may be a one day turn or it may be a 9 day global romp, but Crew Scheduling makes sure that there are crewmembers assigned to sign in for those trips on day one. Once you are signed in for that trip and the flying starts, you are now under the purview of Crew Tracking. Any changes to your trip once it starts are made by Crew Tracking. Because the Crew Trackers are more operational in nature, they are physically located in the OCC while the crew schedulers are of in another part of the building.

If I start a 10 leg four day trip, it’s not uncommon for Crew Tracking to notify me after leg 4 that I’m now going to a different city because perhaps some other crew has had a mechanical. This is what we call a “Reroute”. There are a number of ways they may notify me of this Reroute. It could be inflight using the ACARs datalink. It might be using their Robocall Crew Notification system to leave a voicemail. I can also just call them up, particularly if I have questions about new report times or hotels in a city where I wasn’t supposed to be. The hold times to talk to them during your average everyday Reroute are normally measured in seconds and often you get right through. A Crew Tracking Reroute by its nature is often a case of robbing Peter to pay Paul. If you pull one crew out of the middle of their trip, you may have to do likewise to another crew to complete the first crew’s trip or the Crew Trackers may have to alert the Crew schedulers to find some Reserve pilots to finish off that trip. Things can also get interesting if they split a crew because perhaps one pilot gets sick mid trip or has a family emergency. Crew Tracking does indeed have a computer program designed to reassemble bits and pieces of trips broken up by Reroutes (it even has a codename). As far as I know that program never failed but the data going into it no doubt became corrupted because the IROP got so big that Tracking no longer knew where many crews were located and the phones became so jammed that nobody could communicate where they were and what they were supposed to be doing. Don’t forget, there are over 20,000 F/As and 13000 pilots floating around the system

Let’s take a plane like a 737 headed from Columbus into ATL. When they get there, it is likely that the plane itself heads out to LAX, the pilots get off and go to LGA, and the F/As get off and head to DFW. So everytime a plane comes in late to ATL, it possible that there will be 3 delayed follow on flights. If you get a typical summer Tstorm in ATL that moves through in a half hour, there will be follow on flights that get delayed but Crew Tracking can handle that with a few judicious Reroutes. Now let’s shut down ATL for a whole afternoon such that our original 737 gets diverted to Knoxville and can’t get out and the pilots time out. Now some crew in LAX that was waiting for that plane later in the day never gets it and the delays and cancellations start to cascade. That flight crew in LAX was supposed to get out and spend the night later in Denver. Now they’ve waited in LAX so long they’ve timed out and they need a hotel to start crew rest so they can at least be used in a timely manner tomorrow, but the phone lines to Crew Tracking have become jammed and they don’t know where to get a hotel or inform Tracking that that’s where they are going. They have to use their own money to arrange transportation and go to a hotel that may not even be a Delta approved site and they just disappear as far as the system is concerned.

As the delays and cancellations mount, you now have a problem with getting crew to show up for sign in on trips that started after the IROP began. Many of us are commuters. We live in a city hundreds to thousands of miles from our base. We fly in using our non rev status to start our trips. A base like NYC, the second largest is around 70-80% commuters. ATL is less so, probably around 40%. As flights cancel, with huge loads from Spring Break, there are no seats left for crewmembers to commute in on. Now trips are going unfilled because nobody can report. One of the great ‘fixes’ in this case was that by Friday, they started positive spacing crewmembers en masse just to get trips started. Whoever came up with that idea deserves a medal because I haven’t seen that done on such a large scale. They also rolled out a system that came as a Lesson Learned from prior events that essentially allows us to ‘text’ Crew Tracking and tell them where we are and what we need (e.g…. ‘must get a hotel’….’running out of duty day’….’missing a First Officer’….etc) . This is critical when there’s simply no live humans to talk to and your current location looks nothing like the trip that they are currently showing on line.

This is way too long and none of it helps you if you were caught up in the delays and had important plans altered. But hopefully it might give some insight as to what happened. Believe me that we get frustrated when we want to fly people but I’m missing a First Officer or the plane that I’m waiting on keeps delaying and I’ve been sitting at the airport for 8 hours and my duty clock is running out.

Last edited by Down3Green; Apr 9, 2017 at 3:40 pm
Old Apr 9, 2017, 3:26 pm

Thanks, Down3Green. Learn something new every day
Old Apr 9, 2017, 3:30 pm

The Atlanta hub is too big. The more centralized a system is, the bigger the impact when something goes wrong. I imagine it is impossible to prevent such occurrences as Delta is experiencing now. You may be able to minimize it a bit, but not a material amount.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 3:31 pm

Programs: AA, DL, WN
Originally Posted by Down3Green
There's been a lot of discussion here about whether the Crew Scheduling computer system "went down". Some have pointed to the thread on the AirlinePilotCentral forums as proof that it did. .....
Great write up. It seems more and more a management problem, as in they should have preemptively cancelled flights on Wednesday and perhaps some on Thursday before the storm and then make proper arrangement as where equipment and crew would be.

They do have a lot of hubs, there is no reason to let ATL bog everything down.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 3:35 pm

Programs: Delta DM / 1M, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC, Emerald Club Exec
@Down3Green, thank you for your post. Without real information, people speculate and try to fill in the gaps. That's human. So, I appreciate the information. While it doesn't change the experiences we've had, I think it helps to understand the facts of the situation.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 3:37 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Delta Reserve, Amex Plat, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold ;)
Just adding a data point; I called the Medallion line around 4:30pm EST today and the recording told me DL could call me back in around 4.5 hours. I've never seen it that backed up and I flew last August when DL's computers collapsed.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 3:44 pm

I call it pro-union propaganda because you're trying to describe the unionized pilots as well taken care of in contrast to the FAs who you're describing as being screwed without hotels or meals. I'm guessing as a NWA FA you used to be unionized and either retired or wish you were unionized now. I'll take my 6% raise from last week and remember why Delta doesn't need a union to mess things up. My only local coworkers who support unionizing are lazy/rude to customers, don't care about doing their jobs well, and likely just want job security to protect them from bad performance reviews. I suspect the same pattern prevails across the system.

I haven't heard of masses of people quitting because of this IROP anywhere. TBH it's not really that bad on the employee side. Employees who want to work extra get to work extra.
Yes, I am retired. That's the difference. I don't have to fear retaliation, you do. You're trying to sugar coat what is happening as not such a big deal when in reality, the operation should have recovered by now.

Fly Safe!

NWA FA
Old Apr 9, 2017, 3:46 pm

Programs: DL PM 0.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
Flying BOS-ATL-MCI tomorrow in the evening. Flights looking pretty empty, but I guess I should expect delays and no chance of a VDB.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 3:50 pm

Yes, I am retired. That's the difference. I don't have to fear retaliation, you do. You're trying to sugar coat what is happening as not such a big deal when in reality, the operation should have recovered by now.

Fly Safe!

NWA FA
Yes, the operation should have recovered by now.

On a separate issue, your claims that Delta employees are quitting because of this IROP and labor laws are being violated isn't supported by any evidence. It's distracting from the real issues here. I'm not sugar coating the situation, but I'm saying it's not so bad that Delta employees are deciding to quit their jobs over it.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 3:55 pm

Programs: DL-Pyrite Medallion
Originally Posted by nichelle
@Down3Green, thank you for your post. Without real information, people speculate and try to fill in the gaps. That's human. So, I appreciate the information. While it doesn't change the experiences we've had, I think it helps to understand the facts of the situation.
Glad to do it nichelle. During the trip I extended my duty day to complete a leg (the FAA allows that once per trip for 2 hours at pilot discretion) and got to the hotel at 5am.....finished the next day at 3am because of delays. I made a million PAs to the pax trying to explain what was going on. I also tried to act as den mother to a group of F/As when we were later stuck at a hotel trying to figure out what to do when none of us knew where we were supposed to be.

I feel like I worked pretty hard and did the best I could.....but having said that, I saw the huge stacks of cushion mats piled high at MSP that meant hundreds of people spent the night on a hard floor. I saw scores of people pleading on their phones trying to salvage their 'dream vacation'. Believe me, I'm aware of the human toll this disruption exerts
Old Apr 9, 2017, 4:22 pm

You'll get a refund as long as you didn't fly.
Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.