Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"New" MSP SkyClub

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2019, 4:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by GagaPilot
I will have a whopping 8 hours to kill in a few weeks in MSP. Arriving early around 6 AM from ANC, not departing until around 2 PM to ICN. Which of the clubs, F/G or C would everyone recommend for a long stay? Never visited any of the Clubs in MSP. Surprising as I have connected there tons, but never this long of a wait. And I used to enjoy the great drinks at Ike's but with them closed I need to find another way to pass the time.
C is still very similar to the old NWA clubs decor wise so if you appreciate that nostalgia that might be good. If you want the new Ikea style club decor in one huge open room then F/G.
GagaPilot likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2019, 4:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by GagaPilot
I will have a whopping 8 hours to kill in a few weeks in MSP. Arriving early around 6 AM from ANC, not departing until around 2 PM to ICN. Which of the clubs, F/G or C would everyone recommend for a long stay? Never visited any of the Clubs in MSP. Surprising as I have connected there tons, but never this long of a wait. And I used to enjoy the great drinks at Ike's but with them closed I need to find another way to pass the time.
I'd go to C first, and then later use F/G since it will be close to your departure gate for the ICN flight.

Are you planning to leave the airport and either go downtown or to MOA during your eight hour "visit" to MSP?
Old Oct 1, 2019, 4:42 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I'd go to C first, and then later use F/G since it will be close to your departure gate for the ICN flight.

Are you planning to leave the airport and either go downtown or to MOA during your eight hour "visit" to MSP?
I thought about venturing out if the weather is good, but it would primarily be morning hours and wasn't sure if enough things would be open to justify leaving the airport.
Old Oct 1, 2019, 4:52 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
MOA seems to open for mall walkers every day at 6 am, although most stores open at 10 am, at least on most days. I'm not sure about the aquarium, indoor amusement park, etc., nor have I ever tried to get breakfast there.

The route to MOA is almost indoors in that it's covered, but IME the platform where you wait for light rail trains at the airport (MSP T1) can get cold and windy at times. Similarly at the MOA end, the train actually terminates on the ground level of a parking "ramp" (= open garage in Minnesotan), with a covered path (walkway through a skyway on about the second level) into the mall itself. On the return, since the light rail line starts at MOA, one should be able to board the train without waiting.

However, someone from Alaska really shouldn't worry much about weather in MN.

Museums are unlikely to open before 10.

Another idea would be to take the light rail to the Northwest History Centre airline museum. It's small but interesting, although it keeps limited hours so be sure to check. This would involve walking less than a half block outside, but unfortunately it's an outdoor light rail station (IIRC with a partial cover for protection from rain).
GagaPilot likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2019, 5:45 pm
Original Poster

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
So the train also go to downtown Minneapolis which is easy to walk around and grab some food. Loring Park and across the street is the outdoor Sculpture Garden for the Walker Art Center, which I really like. I think it's open all the time. Also the Minneapolis Art Institute (would need to Lyft over likely) is great and under rated.

Also Minnehaha Falls isn't far off the tram as well and near the airport.

Otherwise, I usually go to the C club and often stop at the Priority Pass PGA one (to get the $15 credit voucher for food at French Meadow downstairs, rumor has it that it's changing to food in the club).

If you leave, allow for time for security, where it's often long. TSA PreCheck helps, but it's probably the only airport where CLEAR is a good idea and if MSP was still my home, I'd consider paying for that.
Old Oct 1, 2019, 5:49 pm

Instead of the MIA, which is a standard smaller city art museum IMO, go either to the Walker for modern art, including photography, or especially the Russian art museum. It requires uber/lyft/taxi too, but it's closer to the airport and is really special because it's such an unusual museum for the USA.

Downtown, the Mill City Museum is also interesting and unique in that it covers local history with emphasis on flour milling.

The art museums are generally closed on Mondays and nothing would open before 10, if even that early.
Old Oct 3, 2019, 12:36 am
Suspended

Programs: DL MM (thanks PMNW!), DL PM, UA PLT, just about every darn hotel program-generally GOLD type level
Originally Posted by NOLAnwGOLD
If only they did local foods like wild rice soup (they have in the past), walleye fish, fried cheese curds, some hot dish of some sort, and Miss Richfield 1981's Lime Green Jello Marshmallow Cottage Cheese Surprise!!
I love Miss Richfield 1981 but I don’t want her to cook for me!
NOLAnwGOLD and jdrtravel like this.

Last edited by In2ishn; Oct 3, 2019 at 12:43 am Reason: Typo
Old Oct 3, 2019, 12:41 am

Originally Posted by In2ishn
I love Miss Richfield 1981 but I don’t want her to cook fo me!
Miss Richfield's recipe sounds frightening.

BTW, Richfield is the name of a suburb close to MSP. It's not especially fancy but it's not desperate either.
NOLAnwGOLD and In2ishn like this.
Old Oct 3, 2019, 10:20 am
Original Poster

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
She's a riot and there's a song about all the fun "hot dishes" and salads from her fellow church goers:

MissRichfield.com
Old Oct 4, 2019, 12:08 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG/MR Plat, Kimpton IC, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Gold
The Light Rail stop at T1 is underground and I have never found it particularly cold. The MOA one is exposed to the elements.

I hate the MOA ur life the Mill City. I would do that if you want to get out of the airport. It is a short walk from the train stop and there are a bunch of restaurants close to it. If you do that, walk to the Guthrie Theater ( 2 blocks) and walk out on the bridge that juts towards the river. It’s free and a really cool view of the only waterfall on the Mississippi River.
NOLAnwGOLD likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.