Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"New" MSP SkyClub

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2017, 3:26 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by FSUnole03
SFO has no international flights on DL and they have showers at their SC. It's unacceptable that stations like MSP, DTW, BOS all have 5+ international flights and the most basic of SC's. Heck, I don't even think DTW has a SC with a Premium Bar does it?
I completely agree with you that it's unacceptable. However, from DL's perspective, SFO is highly competitive on the SFO-JFK route. My guess is that spending the extra $ to put in those showers and have that enhanced food helps to sell lots of paid D1 tickets.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 3:51 pm

Programs: DL PM & NRSA, AA Gold, ANA Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, National EC Exec, GE, CLEAR
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
MSP has a premium bar, unless it was removed with the remodel, but I doubt that.
Yep its still there, c'mon people didnt anyone notice that classic ceiling that they have above the bar way out in the distance?

I mean look closely.

Still don't get where I'm going here? Now take a look at a 3 year old photo of THE BAR..

..It's still there
Old Feb 25, 2017, 4:29 pm

ugh! And that probably means they didn't even change it!

BTW, what is that huge commercial refrigerator doing there? Please, please, please don't tell me that we still have to reach into a fridge to get out cold items.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 9:57 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, , Delta 2MM & DM UA Gold
I have visited the new club a couple of times, and I have to say, let's be a little realistic.

Is it State of the Art -- Not even clost
Are there still issues -- Of course
Is it Better than it was before -- NO Question

My biggest issue was always where the food was located and the logistics of trying to get into a small area. That has been fixed and is a huge improvement! No more are you trying to go down and get butter or carrots when others are trying to get into the area. It was a big cluster before.

Now the soda machine -- well they could have done with the new coke type instead of the older one, but hey, its still better.

Some of the clubs are better, including having showers, and yes, there should be more than 2 clubs given the size of MSP, but the net sum is that the food has improved, the logistics have improved and for short periods of time it is fine.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 10:05 am

I wonder if this relatively small investment in the club means that they have plans to build a brand new one in a few years?
Old Feb 27, 2017, 6:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I completely agree with you that it's unacceptable. However, from DL's perspective, SFO is highly competitive on the SFO-JFK route. My guess is that spending the extra $ to put in those showers and have that enhanced food helps to sell lots of paid D1 tickets.
There was a time in the recent past when DL flew to NRT and perhaps other international destinations from SFO. I suspect the showers are remnants of that era.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 6:41 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, SW A List, HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum United 1K
There is definitely a big disconnect in club capacity/amenities vs. itineraries supported by airport. The number of long-hauls keeps going up in both MSP and SLC and with that, the number of eligible skyclub users...but capacity stayed the same anywhere but SEA. Came through SLC last week and there was not a single. Seat. Available. Until they called boarding for the Paris bound flight and half the skyclub filed out...

nevermind showers. I'd just like a seat.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 6:41 pm

Programs: delta dm
I told the dragons in the MSP C skyclub yesterday that I don't care what they do in F that C will always be my skyclub of choice in MSP. Then we discussed how we are going to petition Ed Bastian for a skydeck above C and put F to shame. #MSPFnotmyskyclub
Old Feb 27, 2017, 8:35 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
There was a time in the recent past when DL flew to NRT and perhaps other international destinations from SFO. I suspect the showers are remnants of that era.

You would think so, but no. The SFO Sky Club is brand new, opened about a year ago, long after DL stopped any international or HNL service from SFO. Maybe they were leaving themselves room to grow, but I really do think the investment reflects their desire to compete with UA/AA, and to some extent VA and B6 in the premium transcon market. I think there are lots of executives in the tech industry who fly paid front cabin on transcons as well as paid F on regular commutes to LAX and SEA. DL putting in what is probably the best lounge at SFO helps.

The problem for MSP is a total lack of meaningful competition, leaving one of DL's busiest hubs with a mediocre Sky Club. I hope you all complain a lot, because with the amount of money MSP pours into DL's coffers, this is really unacceptable.

Last edited by jdrtravel; Feb 27, 2017 at 10:48 pm
Old Feb 27, 2017, 8:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
CVG's SkyClub is better than any at MSP or SLC.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 8:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Quote:

You would think so, but no. The SFO Sky Club is brand new, opened about a year ago, long after DL stopped any international or HNL service from SFO. Maybe they were leaving themselves room to grow, but I really do think the investment reflects their desire to compete with UA/AA, and to some extent VA and B6 in the premium transcon market. I think there are lots of executives in the tech industry who fly paid front of cabin on transcons as well as paid F on regular commutes to LAX and SEA. DL putting in what is probably the best lounge at SFO helps.

The problem for MSP is a total lack of meaningful competition, leaving one of DL's busiest hubs with a mediocre Sky Club. I hope you all complain a lot, because with the amount of money MSP pours into DL's coffers, this is really unacceptable.
You're right. I forgot that the old DL lounge (and the older PMNW one) at SFO didn't have showers.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 10:13 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
You're right. I forgot that the old DL lounge (and the older PMNW one) at SFO didn't have showers.
The old DL lounge could not be older than the PMNW lounge in the international terminal.

Even if DL still flew SFO-NRT, that flight would have been out of Boarding Area A in the International Terminal and not Boarding Area C of the South Terminal, which is where DL's gates and SkyClub are located.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 10:15 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by WWads
CVG's SkyClub is better than any at MSP or SLC.
I actually don't mind the SkyClub at SLC. The people are friendly and the setup isn't bad. Besides, I assume it will be replaced with something nicer in the new terminal. CVG surely beats anything at MSP. Actually the CVG lounge feels like a time warp to the 1990's.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 11:05 am

Programs: DL Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Caesars Diamond, K Fund
Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR
I actually don't mind the SkyClub at SLC. The people are friendly and the setup isn't bad. Besides, I assume it will be replaced with something nicer in the new terminal. CVG surely beats anything at MSP. Actually the CVG lounge feels like a time warp to the 1990's.
Completely agree. IMO one of the best features of the SLC Skyclub is the shoeshine, hard to beat sipping on a beverage while getting a good shine.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 7:00 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
So is there any REAL FOOD at either MSP sky club now? Or should I go to PGA lounge for that? Layover is 2-5pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.