Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Using Delta Global Upgrade (GUC) with KLM Consolidated

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Using Delta Global Upgrade (GUC) with KLM Consolidated

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2018, 9:21 am

Programs: Delta-DM, United, Hilton-DM, SPG-PLTM
I really don't understand why it is so difficult for all the DM agents to be trained properly on how to apply GUC's to KLM flights. I just was on line and did extensive searches on Dl.com to find Z space available on KLM operated flights (DL #'s - operated by KLM). Found Z space available ATL - AMS - CPT and return CPT - AMS - JFK. Have all the flight #'s call the DM desk twice - HUCA - and both agents told me no upgrade available. The 1st one said she didn't see any Z class, the 2nd told me Z class availablity on KLM does not matter - its a special code only she can see, the Z class I see doesn't mean anything?

It's beyond frustrating when you do all the research, are looking at the screen clearly stating Z class available - and the DM reps keep telling you there is no room up front with GUC's.

I emailed a complaint so we will see if anything can be done, and I suppose I will continue to HUAC.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 9:39 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by QDDawg
I really don't understand why it is so difficult for all the DM agents to be trained properly on how to apply GUC's to KLM flights. I just was on line and did extensive searches on Dl.com to find Z space available on KLM operated flights (DL #'s - operated by KLM). Found Z space available ATL - AMS - CPT and return CPT - AMS - JFK. Have all the flight #'s call the DM desk twice - HUCA - and both agents told me no upgrade available. The 1st one said she didn't see any Z class, the 2nd told me Z class availablity on KLM does not matter - its a special code only she can see, the Z class I see doesn't mean anything?

It's beyond frustrating when you do all the research, are looking at the screen clearly stating Z class available - and the DM reps keep telling you there is no room up front with GUC's.

I emailed a complaint so we will see if anything can be done, and I suppose I will continue to HUAC.
You need Z space on the KL flight numbers, not the DL flight numbers. If you're searching on DL.com you're only going to see DL flight numbers. So possible the first agent was correct in this case. The second agent was definitely wrong.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 9:53 am

Okay, so the 2nd agent confirmed Z class was available on the KLM flights - just as I was seeing, but said it didn't matter. I'll HUCA later, hopefully have better luck. Once I find the agent that can get this done I'm going to ask for their direct line I should have done that after the last fiasco of applying GUC's to KLM.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by uitailgater
Update: I've been watching EF for CPT-AMS availability on its own, as well as overall CPT-MDW. Today, searching just CPT-AMS, 1 seat showed available. I sent a DM to the Twitter team. They could see the 1 seat available that was showing in EF for the CPT-AMS route. They split our reservation and were able to upgrade my wife successfully. I've set an alert on EF and will keep watching for one more seat to open up.

So in this case at least, with part of the route operated by KLM and part by Delta, I needed to find availability searching just on the KLM-operated portion of the route by itself. On the outbound (ORD-AMS-CPT), I had to find availability on the route as a whole since it was all operated by KLM. This does match the way the reservation shows on klm.com. There it shows 3 segments: ORD-CPT (2 flights operated by KLM), CPT-AMS (1 flight operated by KLM), AMS-MDW (2 flights operated by Delta), even though I bought it as a round-trip and just have a 2 hour connection on the return.

I had called the Diamond line a few days ago to ask about changing the KLM-coded flight back to the DL codeshare, since they had changed it when they upgraded the outbound. They couldn't change it back, but they were able to confirm with the KLM desk, and put a note in my record, that the upgrade would be approved if available since I had originally purchased the codeshare. This helped today, because the first response on Twitter was that the flight wasn't eligible for an upgrade since it was a KLM flight number not in Y/B/M. After they read the notes in the record, there were no issues with confirming the upgrade.
You definitely have to be persistent and use the HUCA approach again and again. Over the weekend, I got an email alert from EF that another seat had opened on the last segment I needed, CPT-AMS. I called in right away, and the first agent said there was no Z space.

I then tried Twitter, and they said I couldn't upgrade since I had a KL-coded flight. I asked them to read the notes in my reservation, which said I had purchased the whole itinerary as DL-coded flights, how this one got switched when the outbound was upgraded, and how the KLM desk had approved the upgrade from the now-KL-coded flight when availability opened up. I also referenced my wife's itinerary that had already been upgraded on this same flight. The response was that I had to buy up to a Y fare if I wanted to upgrade, and that the agent who upgraded my wife made a mistake.

I called the diamond line again and this time got a helpful agent who read through all the notes, confirmed with me that he understood them, and found the same Z space available that I saw on EF. He put me on hold while he called the KLM desk, and he said they pushed back a lot on the whole KL/DL coding issue. But he advocated for me per the notes and the previous approval, and got the upgrade confirmed. He earned a JWD certificate.

Overall I'm guessing I called at least a dozen times plus had at least 5 conversations on Twitter, but I'm happy to have 2 confirmed biz seats all the way to CPT and back.
QDDawg likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 9:11 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
Originally Posted by QDDawg
Okay, so the 2nd agent confirmed Z class was available on the KLM flights - just as I was seeing, but said it didn't matter. I'll HUCA later, hopefully have better luck. Once I find the agent that can get this done I'm going to ask for their direct line I should have done that after the last fiasco of applying GUC's to KLM.
Not to pile on, but you weren't seeing Z availability on the KLM flights—you were seeing Z availability on the Delta flights. It seems possible to me that the second agent was making the same mistake, and her confusing explanation was trying to say that you need Z on the KL numbers, not the DL numbers.

There's no way to check this on Delta.com. Expertflyer has the info you need, as does ITA Matrix if there is a Z fare filed in the market.
QDDawg likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by SamOF
Not to pile on, but you weren't seeing Z availability on the KLM flights—you were seeing Z availability on the Delta flights. It seems possible to me that the second agent was making the same mistake, and her confusing explanation was trying to say that you need Z on the KL numbers, not the DL numbers.

There's no way to check this on Delta.com. Expertflyer has the info you need, as does ITA Matrix if there is a Z fare filed in the market.

Thank you SamOF for this info, I did double check through a friend that has EF - he confirmed to me Z fare was available, I have yet to call back - but will be trying again today to see what opens up if anything.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 6:10 pm

Recently booked a trip from New York to Madrid on Delta stock. Outbound non-stop on Delta, upgraded with GUC. The return is on KLM operated flights (Delta marketed) via AMS. Agent said that inventory was not available on KLM to upgrade on the return . If I search on Expertflyer, both individual segments show Z inventory (9). But the entire trip with married segments shows no availability. Is it true that availability must be available for the entire return itinerary? Or can the married segments be "unmarried" so that I can upgrade? All I really care about is AMS to JFK. There are a few other threads on this topic, but I couldn't find a definitive answer. Thanks.

Dave
Old Aug 16, 2018, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Need to show as married. As married it might show Z for AMS/JFK but not the MAD/AMS. Regardless it needs Z when searching as a whole. Then you could upgrade AMS/JFK.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 7:42 am

My experience matches what flyerCO says. I was booked ORD-AMS-CPT. Individually, ORD-AMS and AMS-CPT both showed Z0. But I was able to upgrade since ORD-AMS-CPT showed Z9.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 3:48 pm

Ok, thanks. In my case it's the opposite. MAD-AMS and AMS-JFK both show Z9 individually. But Z0 together. I guess I'll keep looking to see if space opens up on the married segments.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 8:23 am

Programs: Delta DM, 2MM
Has there been a change in the policy? On the website, this language no longer appears:

REDEMPTIONS ON KLM – ROYAL DUTCH AIRLINES

Valid on Delta-marketed, KLM-operated flights for use globally on published Main Cabin fares booked in Y, B, M, S, H, Q, K, L, U, T, X or V class to Business Class.
Valid on all KLM-marketed, KLM-operated flights from published Main Cabin fares in Y, B, M, S, H, Q, K, L, U, T, X, or V class to Business Class.
Global Upgrades on KLM flights must be confirmed 24 hours prior to departure.
For flights departing Amsterdam, Global Upgrade Certificates may be applied prior to check-in either with a KLM ticketing agent or at a KLM Crown Lounge.
Global Upgrade Certificates may not be used to waitlist for a KLM-operated flight.

Now this is on the website, which is confusing as it sets up two circumstances that are identical (KL operated, DL Marketed):

For travel on KLM-operated, Delta-marketed flights this certificate may be used to upgrade on published fares booked in Y, B, M, H, Q, K, L, U, T, X or V class and all fare classes upgrade into Z class. For travel on KLM-operated flights marketed by either Delta or Air France, this certificate may be used to upgrade on published fares booked in Y, B, or M class. Fares booked in B or M are eligible to upgrade into O class, while fares booked in Y are eligible to upgrade into Z class.

I am trying to apply a certificate to a KL operated KL marketed flight, and I'm told I need Y class. I no longer see published information on KL operated KL marketed.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I found some snapshots in archive.org from 2016 allowing all KLM-marketed/DL-operated fares, but everything from 2017 until now only allows KLM-marketed Y/B/M fares --

https://web.archive.org/web/20170202...tificates.html

So it's not a recent change.

Last edited by xliioper; Oct 4, 2018 at 8:53 am
Old Oct 4, 2018, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by iflyalexair
Has there been a change in the policy? On the website, this language no longer appears:

REDEMPTIONS ON KLM – ROYAL DUTCH AIRLINES

Valid on Delta-marketed, KLM-operated flights for use globally on published Main Cabin fares booked in Y, B, M, S, H, Q, K, L, U, T, X or V class to Business Class.
Valid on all KLM-marketed, KLM-operated flights from published Main Cabin fares in Y, B, M, S, H, Q, K, L, U, T, X, or V class to Business Class.
Global Upgrades on KLM flights must be confirmed 24 hours prior to departure.
For flights departing Amsterdam, Global Upgrade Certificates may be applied prior to check-in either with a KLM ticketing agent or at a KLM Crown Lounge.
Global Upgrade Certificates may not be used to waitlist for a KLM-operated flight.

Now this is on the website, which is confusing as it sets up two circumstances that are identical (KL operated, DL Marketed):

For travel on KLM-operated, Delta-marketed flights this certificate may be used to upgrade on published fares booked in Y, B, M, H, Q, K, L, U, T, X or V class and all fare classes upgrade into Z class. For travel on KLM-operated flights marketed by either Delta or Air France, this certificate may be used to upgrade on published fares booked in Y, B, or M class. Fares booked in B or M are eligible to upgrade into O class, while fares booked in Y are eligible to upgrade into Z class.

I am trying to apply a certificate to a KL operated KL marketed flight, and I'm told I need Y class. I no longer see published information on KL operated KL marketed.
Yes change around time could start using on KE. KL/KL requires Y to book into Z or BM into O. The second line was typo, it should read KLM or Air France marketed.(the sentence before wouldn't make sense otherwise) In fact it's been corrected online in some places.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Yes change around time could start using on KE. KL/KL requires Y to book into Z or BM into O. The second line was typo, it should read KLM or Air France marketed.(the sentence before wouldn't make sense otherwise) In fact it's been corrected online in some places.
It was changed well before the ability to use on KE. See my archive.org link above from Feb 2017 --
  • Valid on all KLM-marketed, KLM-operated flights from published Main Cabin fares in Y, B, or M class to Business Class.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by LBJ
It was changed well before the ability to use on KE. See my archive.org link above from Feb 2017 --
  • Valid on all KLM-marketed, KLM-operated flights from published Main Cabin fares in Y, B, or M class to Business Class.
That was a different change. This was the change to BM fares requiring O to upgrade and only Y getting to upgrade to Z.

The change you mention is where it went from all KL coded being eligible to just YBM. However all still upgraded to Z.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.