Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Using Delta Global Upgrade (GUC) with KLM Consolidated

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2016, 1:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: IB PL, IHG PM, FB GD

I get every year 4 Global Upgrade when qualify for Diamond. These GU are limited to certain routes and ticket class with KLM and Air France.

Obviously the highest class ticket can be upgraded and AF only routes from US to Europe (not from Europe to Latin America), the number of seats are limited, etc etc.

Every time I tried to use them with KLM, called Delta Customer Service and the answer was always the same: "I don't meet one of the many criteria for using GU".

BUT, I found a better way to use them. I normally flight from TLV to AMS and then from AMS to a city in Latin America.@:-)

What I do is, when I arrive into Amsterdam, go to KLM lounge (Crown something) and ask from the very nice ladies at the Customer Service Desk, inside the Lounge, to use one of my GU.

SURPRISE, all they ask is for the GU number and as long as there are seats available, I GET THE UPGRADE.

Simple, easy, without too many questions! Enjoy!
If you have other tips like this, share it with us.
kthomas likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 2:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Yes, have to rely on same day J availability ex-AMS, but it's a great option. Used it for AMS-HKG last November.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...s-delta-9.html
Old Jun 22, 2016, 4:55 am

Programs: DL DM, UA & AA Peeon, Hilton/Starwood Gold
FYI to the OP, changes were made around March to GUC usage on KLM. They now allow GUC's to be used on nearly all fare classes and the upgrade still books into Z. It is true that there's no waitlist for KLM but if you are booking far out enough in advance, you may be able to book an upgrade that a few months ago was not allowed.
ebayj and kthomas like this.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 6:25 am

Programs: DL DM/MM , IHG Plat, MR Titanium, HH Gold, EK Frequent Kettle, UA Silver, AA Hater
Originally Posted by CGNC
FYI to the OP, changes were made around March to GUC usage on KLM. They now allow GUC's to be used on nearly all fare classes and the upgrade still books into Z. It is true that there's no waitlist for KLM but if you are booking far out enough in advance, you may be able to book an upgrade that a few months ago was not allowed.
wow....good info

everytime I have tried to use one I could, but only on Y rather than the lower bucket, and that as much as discounted J

I tried AMS-DXB in Feburary, decided to go coach since it is during the day and only 6 hours and coach fare was very low. I did inquire in the lounge and it was 40K miles and $200 co-pay. I would have done either one, but not both.

Sat in first row of Y and stared at empty J seats for 6 hours.
aeroman380 likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 10:41 am

Programs: DL DM; SPG Gold
Wow!!! I don't know how I missed that! Did they advertise the change?

Someone was recently commenting on FB how they went to JNB through AMS on KL using GUC all the way and back from a cheap coach fare.
So I went back an checked the rule of PU590 again on delta.com and they still indicate YBM requirement for KL
https://www.delta.com/edoc/displayEd...ource=internal

Opens so many possibilities!
Old Jun 22, 2016, 10:59 am

Programs: DL SPlat, KLM Bump, Privium Plus, GOES
Don't think they talked about it but the website clearly mention it:

Use Global Upgrade Certificates on KLM-Operated, Delta-Marketed Flights

Beginning April 1, 2016, SkyMiles Diamond Medallion members can now use Global Upgrade Certificates for all fare classes (excluding Basic Economy (E)) on all KLM-operated flights that are marketed by Delta Air Lines. In addition, Global Upgrade Certificates will be available for use during the check-in process for all flights leaving from Amsterdam. The changes are designed to provide greater choice to our Diamond Medallion members across our partner network and greater access into KLM’s new World Business Class product. Onboard amenities of the cabin include:

180-degree seat recline
Private seat canopy
Meals prepared by Dutch three-star chef Jacob Jan Boerma

KLM currently offers service to Amsterdam from seven US cities (with Salt Lake City starting this May) and five Canadian cities. In addition, Global Upgrade Certificates can be used for KLM connecting flights from Amsterdam to Africa, Middle East, Asia, or any market with a World Business Class cabin.* With the exception of flights departing Amsterdam, Medallion members must contact a Delta reservations agent directly to apply the certificates for travel, and upgrades will remain subject to availability. For more information, please see Upgrade Certificates.

*Not all KLM-operated flights feature the new World Business Class product. Global Upgrade Certificates are still usable for any variation of KLM’s World Business Class product.

REDEMPTIONS ON KLM – ROYAL DUTCH AIRLINES

Valid on Delta-marketed, KLM-operated flights for use globally on published Main Cabin fares booked in Y, B, M, S, H, Q, K, L, U, T, X or V class to Business Class.
Valid on all KLM-marketed, KLM-operated flights from published Main Cabin fares in Y, B, M, S, H, Q, K, L, U, T, X, or V class to Business Class.
Global Upgrades on KLM flights must be confirmed 24 hours prior to departure.
For flights departing Amsterdam, Global Upgrade Certificates may be applied prior to check-in either with a KLM ticketing agent or at a KLM Crown Lounge.
Global Upgrade Certificates may not be used to waitlist for a KLM-operated flight.

edit: That link shows your RL name. You ok with that?
Old Jun 22, 2016, 11:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Grouchy
Don't think they talked about it but the website clearly mention it:

Use Global Upgrade Certificates on KLM-Operated, Delta-Marketed Flights

Beginning April 1, 2016, SkyMiles Diamond Medallion members can now use Global Upgrade Certificates for all fare classes (excluding Basic Economy (E)) on all KLM-operated flights that are marketed by Delta Air Lines. In addition, Global Upgrade Certificates will be available for use during the check-in process for all flights leaving from Amsterdam. The changes are designed to provide greater choice to our Diamond Medallion members across our partner network and greater access into KLM’s new World Business Class product. Onboard amenities of the cabin include:

180-degree seat recline
Private seat canopy
Meals prepared by Dutch three-star chef Jacob Jan Boerma

KLM currently offers service to Amsterdam from seven US cities (with Salt Lake City starting this May) and five Canadian cities. In addition, Global Upgrade Certificates can be used for KLM connecting flights from Amsterdam to Africa, Middle East, Asia, or any market with a World Business Class cabin.* With the exception of flights departing Amsterdam, Medallion members must contact a Delta reservations agent directly to apply the certificates for travel, and upgrades will remain subject to availability. For more information, please see Upgrade Certificates.

*Not all KLM-operated flights feature the new World Business Class product. Global Upgrade Certificates are still usable for any variation of KLM’s World Business Class product.

REDEMPTIONS ON KLM – ROYAL DUTCH AIRLINES

Valid on Delta-marketed, KLM-operated flights for use globally on published Main Cabin fares booked in Y, B, M, S, H, Q, K, L, U, T, X or V class to Business Class.
Valid on all KLM-marketed, KLM-operated flights from published Main Cabin fares in Y, B, M, S, H, Q, K, L, U, T, X, or V class to Business Class.
Global Upgrades on KLM flights must be confirmed 24 hours prior to departure.
For flights departing Amsterdam, Global Upgrade Certificates may be applied prior to check-in either with a KLM ticketing agent or at a KLM Crown Lounge.
Global Upgrade Certificates may not be used to waitlist for a KLM-operated flight.

edit: That link shows your RL name. You ok with that?
How do you apply a GUC in the lounge "prior to check in"?

The wording makes it sound like RUCs can't be used to upgrade intraEU KLM frlight to/from AMS to their EuroBusiness class. Does anyone know whether this is what DL really means or is the reference to upgrading only to (old or new) WBC a mistake? The bottom part says business class, suggesting that EuroBusiness class is included.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 11:19 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Important caveat -- the new rules allowing GUCs to be used in advance on all fares on KLM only applies if the flight is booked with a DL flight number. Doesn't work if booked on a KL flight number.

Edit: Actually, the rules above suggest that maybe this has changed again. Originally when this change came out (without any fanfare) you needed a DL flight number. But maybe not even that any more.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
How do you apply a GUC in the lounge "prior to check in"?
Believe it's not what it is saying.
May be applied prior to check-in either with a KLM ticketing agent (ie KLM ticketoffice at Schiphol/Amsterdam Airport, Departure Hall 2, Opposite check-in desk 16) or at a KLM Crown Lounge
Nevertheless you can simply by using Privium or arriving at @AMS with another flight and choice to check in at one of their lounges

&

REGIONAL UPGRADE CERTIFICATES REDEMPTION ON PARTNERS

Regional upgrades may not be used on partner airlines.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 11:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Believe it's not what it is saying.
May be applied prior to check-in either with a KLM ticketing agent (ie KLM ticketoffice at Schiphol/Amsterdam Airport, Departure Hall 2, Opposite check-in desk 16) or at a KLM Crown Lounge
Nevertheless you can simply by using Privium or arriving at @AMS with another flight and choice to check in at one of their lounges

&

REGIONAL UPGRADE CERTIFICATES REDEMPTION ON PARTNERS

Regional upgrades may not be used on partner airlines.
Of course I wouldn't expect to use GUCs on KLM partners (other than DL and AF), whether SkyTeam members or not, but I've used them in the past for intraEU flights, IIRC including some that were KLM and some CityHopper (which I understand to be part of KLM and not a partner).

I understand the "prior to check in" phrase to mean that you cannot apply a GUC to a flight after you've checked in, which seems to contradict the way KLM has been emphasizing the selling (for miles and money) of upgrades in their lounges at AMS.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 11:45 am

You can GUC's on KL, KL Cityhopper, AF and also Cityjet (the last one is afaik a partner as AF sold it). DL also states that.

2nd sentence was about RUC's as you can see and not about GUC's.

Don't worry about not being able to use your GUC's before or after you checked in. You will be able to use them, both at AMS and at outer stations.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 11:58 am

Programs: DM/3MM
I recently flew to Scandinavia via AMS, DL metal TATL and DL-coded, KL-metal to Scandinavia. I was using a GUC one way (and the TATL cleared immediately). I was told by several agents that I could not use it on the DL-coded, KL-metal portion. I pointed out what is stated above, and was told "that's not what that means". I did have one agent tell me that it could be done but that I couldn't wait list. So I asked, if I'm not allowed to wait list, how would I know when upgrade space was available? The answer was "just keep calling back". I didn't have time for this, especially as intra-European business is not a big deal.

I didn't bother asking in the Crown Lounge in AMS because I had given up on it at that point and basically forgotten about it.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 12:05 pm

... and the upgrade still books into Z ...
Does that mean you'd earn 150% MQMs for the segment?
Old Jun 22, 2016, 12:11 pm

Negative, you will earn the normal pre-upgraded MQM's.

Originally Posted by TrojanTraveler
I did have one agent tell me that it could be done but that I couldn't wait list. So I asked, if I'm not allowed to wait list, how would I know when upgrade space was available? The answer was "just keep calling back". I didn't have time for this, especially as intra-European business is not a big deal.

I didn't bother asking in the Crown Lounge in AMS because I had given up on it at that point and basically forgotten about it.
That's sadly a lot of times a problem. KLM only opens a lot of space within the 24 hour window. Too late for the Delta agents and you will end up with DoD upgrades done by KL agents at the airport (and some will not follow the rules or know how to perform the upgrade)
Old Jun 22, 2016, 12:19 pm

Programs: DM/3MM
Negative, you will earn the normal pre-upgraded MQM's.

That's sadly a lot of times a problem. KLM only opens a lot of space within the 24 hour window. Too late for the Delta agents and you will end up with DoD upgrades done by KL agents at the airport (and some will not follow the rules or know how to perform the upgrade)
But in this case, if you can't waitlist, then how would they apply the GUC? DL had to reissue the ticket (otherwise I could not check in), and then they closed it (the GUC) out. So would the KLM agents know to apply a closed out GUC? So as I understand this, if KLM opens lots of space within 24 hours, I'd need to make sure to delay my check-in and hope DL doesn't reissue the ticket (and thus close out my GUC), right? What a hassle.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.