Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Using Delta Global Upgrade (GUC) with KLM Consolidated

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Using Delta Global Upgrade (GUC) with KLM Consolidated

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2018, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Since you have DL flight numbers, then you can use a GUC without needing YBM. You'll need Z available on the KLM operated flights. (with the KLM flight numbers... the other place some agents get stuck is looking for OP space on the DL flight number which won't come up). Its unfortunate there are agents that still don't understand how that works. I'd suggest trying twitter to Delta.
QDDawg likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 10:17 am

Programs: UA GS 5 MM, Delta 1.6MM & Hilton Diamond, Avis Chairman, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by QDDawg
Hello, I've tried the HUCA route twice - got the same "must be in YBM" class fare. I think I'm confused on what I'm reading above regarding KLM/Delta operated.

I booked with DL flights show DL #'s but state operated by KLM. MY DL fare is V class. EF shows Z class available - bu the agents insist I have to be YBM.

I went last May to DEL the same way DL ticketed KLM operated that was an X or V class fare. GUC's cleared immediately

My current trip is IAD - AMS - CPT and back

Should I keep trying or am I wrong on the class fare and marketed/operated?

Thank you for you assistance.
I had a similar situation where I was booking on the DL flight #'s for KLM flights which had Z available. Had 3 agents tell me that I needed a YBM to upgrade but since I knew the rules I pushed the issues and got a supervisor on the phone who didn't know the rules correctly either. At least after I read her the rules from the website she was at least willing to call the support desk. 5 minutes later the supervisor came back to me and told me that I was now in J and that she learned something new. To many misinformed DL phone agents.
QDDawg likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 12:25 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by QDDawg
Hello, I've tried the HUCA route twice - got the same "must be in YBM" class fare. I think I'm confused on what I'm reading above regarding KLM/Delta operated.

I booked with DL flights show DL #'s but state operated by KLM. MY DL fare is V class. EF shows Z class available - bu the agents insist I have to be YBM.

I went last May to DEL the same way DL ticketed KLM operated that was an X or V class fare. GUC's cleared immediately

My current trip is IAD - AMS - CPT and back

Should I keep trying or am I wrong on the class fare and marketed/operated?

Thank you for you assistance.
As others have said, you're in the right -- keep trying. I find in situations like this it can be useful to play somewhat dumb with the agent and say "Oh really? That's funny, I had thought it was YBM on a KLM-coded coach flight but on all fares if it's a DL-coded flight, do I have that wrong?" Make them read out the rule to you. Some will stick to their guns but for some that should be enough to prompt them to double-check and correct themselves.
QDDawg likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 11:09 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, DL DM
I asked this in another thread but I did some research and one more detail that might change things.
I have a flight AMS-INV after a JFK-INV flight that is already upgraded. This flight currently has a KLM flight number

Originally this flight was Delta marketed. Amidst the million changes that happened it moved to KLM marketed. Is it worth calling to try to get the upgrade on this? Will I spend more time on the phone trying to fix this than I would on the relatively short flight?
Old Mar 23, 2018, 10:32 am

Programs: Delta-DM, United, Hilton-DM, SPG-PLTM
Well it took a few weeks of consistent HUCA - but I was FINALLY to get one leg of my trip to clear. CPT-AMS is confirmed with GUC for both me and my boyfriend. I've had 2 agents tell me we are wait listed for the AMS - IAD segment. I've had 2 other agents tell me that we cannot be wait listed on KLM flights. There is only 1 "Z" class seat currently available on that leg so we both can't clear - and they told me in order for one of us to clear they would have to separate our PNR's which is not something I want to do.
I'm not that upset about the AMS - IAD as it is a day flight, however it is just SO frustrating that you can never get a consistent answer - it really shouldn't be this difficult.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That is correct, upgrade waitlisting is not available for KLM operated flights. You'll have to keep watching in case 2 Z become available. Otherwise when you get to the airport in AMS go immediately to the transfer desk or lounge and ask to be upgraded with your certificates for the AMS-IAD segment, as it is more on a open seat basis then instead of needing Z. I'd suggest having your cert numbers just in case, even though it should be documented in the ticket from the CPT-AMS part being upgraded.
QDDawg likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 2:15 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Silver, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by rylan
That is correct, upgrade waitlisting is not available for KLM operated flights. You'll have to keep watching in case 2 Z become available. Otherwise when you get to the airport in AMS go immediately to the transfer desk or lounge and ask to be upgraded with your certificates for the AMS-IAD segment, as it is more on a open seat basis then instead of needing Z. I'd suggest having your cert numbers just in case, even though it should be documented in the ticket from the CPT-AMS part being upgraded.
I was in a somewhat similar situation where I had a DL segment (MSP-AMS) waitlisted and Z9 was available on the connecting KL AMS-BOM segment. However, the agent was unable to confirm me on the AMS-BOM segment until the MSP-AMS cleared. She said that MSP-BOM needs to be available as a whole and not individual legs. Luckily the first segment (MSP-AMS) cleared in a few weeks after ticketing and I was able to immediately call in and get the connecting AMS-BOM upgraded as well. Glad that Z availability stayed open till then.

If anyone has experienced otherwise, I'd love to know so that I can push back for next time.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 9:36 am

Programs: Delta-DM, United, Hilton-DM, SPG-PLTM
Thanks Rylan, that is what I keep hearing, regarding waitlisting for KLM - it's just frustrating that I can't get a consistent answer. I will defintely check at AMS should this not clear before hand.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you have Expertflyer, set up an alert to look for 2 Z seats on that KLM segment so you can jump on it.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 7:12 pm

If you have Expertflyer, set up an alert to look for 2 Z seats on that KLM segment so you can jump on it.
​​​​​​
I'm ticketed on DL for a KLM operated AMS-EBB (Entebbe, Uganda) leg. Expert Flyer shows 9 Z class seats for DL9318 but is blank for KL535. DL Diamond desk tells me they can't see DL9318, so I'm at the mercy of Z class being available for KL535 *If* I'm willing to reticket to a KL code. Does this make sense to anybody?
Old Mar 29, 2018, 7:21 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by raje
​​​​​​
I'm ticketed on DL for a KLM operated AMS-EBB (Entebbe, Uganda) leg. Expert Flyer shows 9 Z class seats for DL9318 but is blank for KL535. DL Diamond desk tells me they can't see DL9318, so I'm at the mercy of Z class being available for KL535 *If* I'm willing to reticket to a KL code. Does this make sense to anybody?
The Z space needs to be available on EF on the KL code, not the DL code. Then you have to book the DL code in coach (as you have) and DL changes it to the KL code when they process the upgrade. If there’s no Z showing on the KL code, as it sounds like there isn’t, then the upgrade isn’t available.

Note that you have to search the whole route on EF — JFK (or wherever)-AMS-EBB. Just AMS-EBB alone doesn’t tell you the right thing.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by bgriff
The Z space needs to be available on EF on the KL code, not the DL code. Then you have to book the DL code in coach (as you have) and DL changes it to the KL code when they process the upgrade. If there’s no Z showing on the KL code, as it sounds like there isn’t, then the upgrade isn’t available.
So despite EF showing no Z space on the KL code but plenty of space on the DL code, I found a Diamond desk agent able to process my GUCs all the way through. As you noted, DL changed it to the KL code to process the upgrade.

So it looks like it may not be as restrictive as thought...just a matter of getting lucky with a knowledgable Diamond desk agent.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 3:03 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by raje
So despite EF showing no Z space on the KL code but plenty of space on the DL code, I found a Diamond desk agent able to process my GUCs all the way through. As you noted, DL changed it to the KL code to process the upgrade.

So it looks like it may not be as restrictive as thought...just a matter of getting lucky with a knowledgable Diamond desk agent.
That is odd ... I suspect the agent did something for you that they weren't supposed to. Hopefully that just means you get lucky, but worth keeping an eye on your booking, including the ticket numbers and ticket receipts, on both DL.com and KL.com over the next few weeks to make sure everything still looks okay. (In my experience the booking will look like a mess on KL.com, with a bunch of extra phantom segments, but at some point -- which could be a month from now or later, depending how far in the future your flight is -- along the way the reservation on KL.com gets cleaned up and only shows the upgraded segments.)

I would think there's a chance that KL basically sends Delta a message saying "that space wasn't actually available so you shouldn't have sold it, so this ticket is cancelled" or something like that. I have no idea how likely that is, so don't panic, and I don't know how it might show up on either site if it did happen, but hopefully it will look "weird" when it does.

A couple of days after you have a new ticket number you could also message KLM on Twitter and just say that you wanted to double-check that everything is in order with your ticket -- I did that before and they sent a reassuring reply, and even mentioned that the extra phantom segments showing on KL.com weren't a problem.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 11:56 pm

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
My strategy now is to wait until the flights/airfare you want is available, planning months in advance, and calling the DM line to search out what upgrades are available for confirming at the time of ticketing. Worked like a charm, 4 legs confirmed for 2 peeps in Sept to Europe!!
Old Apr 11, 2018, 9:14 pm

Now I'm further confused...

I called the Diamond desk today to check on GUC availability on an upcoming CPT-AMS-SFO itinerary. Upgrade space was not available, but the agent said I could be put on the waitlist. I asked him when that policy change happened, and he didn't know. He put me on hold for 10min and came back and said I had been waitlisted.

Delta.com literature continues to say KLM operated flights cannot be waitlisted...but my itinerary on the website shows the waitlisting.
rogo and arunhn like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.