Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Using Delta Global Upgrade (GUC) with KLM Consolidated

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Using Delta Global Upgrade (GUC) with KLM Consolidated

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2020, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by bgriff
I recently sent an email to ExpertFlyer suggesting they create the ability to set alerts for married segments, since there are increasingly many cases where married segment availability is important for award and upgrade searches, such as searching for availability to use Delta GUCs on KLM flights. To my surprise, they came back and said that they were working on a version of that already at their beta site https://beta.expertflyer.com. It seems you need to request access for your EF account to that site (after logging in with your regular EF username and password), and I don't have access yet so I can't report yet how it works, but wanted to share here in case anyone else looking to use GUCs on KLM in the future might also want to request access.
Note, this is already the case if both flights are KLM operated. The issue with married segments on EF is when one flight is DL operated and one KLM.
Old Oct 12, 2020, 11:03 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Note, this is already the case if both flights are KLM operated. The issue with married segments on EF is when one flight is DL operated and one KLM.
EF already correctly *displays* KL-KL married segment availability, but being able to *set alerts* for Z availability on married segments is new. And yes, unfortunately I don't think this will help for DL-KL itineraries.
Old Oct 12, 2020, 11:47 am
Left Expert Flyer 4/23

I recently sent an email to ExpertFlyer suggesting they create the ability to set alerts for married segments, since there are increasingly many cases where married segment availability is important for award and upgrade searches, such as searching for availability to use Delta GUCs on KLM flights. To my surprise, they came back and said that they were working on a version of that already at their beta site https://beta.expertflyer.com. It seems you need to request access for your EF account to that site (after logging in with your regular EF username and password), and I don't have access yet so I can't report yet how it works, but wanted to share here in case anyone else looking to use GUCs on KLM in the future might also want to request access.
We announced the open beta here on Thursday: ExpertFlyer.com - Master Information and Updates Thread

You shouldn't have to request access, that was a glitch that has now been resolved, just login.
rylan likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2020, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
EF already correctly *displays* KL-KL married segment availability, but being able to *set alerts* for Z availability on married segments is new. And yes, unfortunately I don't think this will help for DL-KL itineraries.
I didnt catch you were meaning alerts. This makes more sense.
Old Dec 19, 2020, 6:36 pm

My wife and I successfully upgraded KLM flights under the new rules where most KLM-marketed fares are eligible. We purchased GRU-AMS-DPS using Citi ThankYou points, after taking advantage of the NYC-GRU super sale. The flights were ticketed on KLM 074 stock. Both flights together were cheaper than purchasing just US-AMS-DPS, and we will spend several days in Brazil.

The first agent I called was able to see the Z space which I had already confirmed in EF, but whoever he called to process it told him that our flights had to originate in North America. I mentioned that the GUC terms say "systemwide" for KLM, but his only advice was to call back later.

Then I tried the messaging feature from the web site, but that agent said I would need to talk to KLM to apply GUCs since it was their flights.

I called Delta once more, and this agent confirmed Z space and immediately reached out to the Global team for assistance. He said they had to create a new record to move the ticket over since there were no DL flights in the reservation. After just under an hour, we had newly reissued tickets confirmed in Z on DL 006 stock. Now to hope that travel restrictions are lifted by May...
Old Dec 20, 2020, 10:14 pm

Programs: DL DM
Any recent data points? I'm looking at booking a US-AMS-CPT RT for Aug '21. Is the best method to find availability still Twitter?
Old Dec 21, 2020, 7:56 am

Originally Posted by eneq
Any recent data points? I'm looking at booking a US-AMS-CPT RT for Aug '21. Is the best method to find availability still Twitter?
In my opinion it's worth the $10 to get an ExpertFlyer subscription for a month and search for the date range you want, especially if you can get KLM flights the whole way. I used it both times I've upgraded on KLM, including US-AMS-CPT last year. Just be sure to search for the full route US-CPT, and not each individual leg, since you need the married segment Z availability. If US-AMS is operated by DL, then you'll have to rely on the Delta agent to find availability on that leg, and you can search ExpertFlyer for the AMS-CPT leg.
Old Dec 21, 2020, 8:21 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by uitailgater
In my opinion it's worth the $10 to get an ExpertFlyer subscription for a month and search for the date range you want, especially if you can get KLM flights the whole way. I used it both times I've upgraded on KLM, including US-AMS-CPT last year. Just be sure to search for the full route US-CPT, and not each individual leg, since you need the married segment Z availability. If US-AMS is operated by DL, then you'll have to rely on the Delta agent to find availability on that leg, and you can search ExpertFlyer for the AMS-CPT leg.
I actually already have the EF subscription, and I've found the dates and route I want. Just not sure the quickest way to apply the GUC with Delta. It sounds like other posters have had a easier time using Twitter, but that was before 2020.

Last edited by eneq; Dec 21, 2020 at 8:34 am
Old Dec 21, 2020, 8:25 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

My wife and I successfully upgraded KLM flights under the new rules where most KLM-marketed fares are eligible. We purchased GRU-AMS-DPS using Citi ThankYou points, after taking advantage of the NYC-GRU super sale. The flights were ticketed on KLM 074 stock. Both flights together were cheaper than purchasing just US-AMS-DPS, and we will spend several days in Brazil.

The first agent I called was able to see the Z space which I had already confirmed in EF, but whoever he called to process it told him that our flights had to originate in North America. I mentioned that the GUC terms say "systemwide" for KLM, but his only advice was to call back later.

Then I tried the messaging feature from the web site, but that agent said I would need to talk to KLM to apply GUCs since it was their flights.

I called Delta once more, and this agent confirmed Z space and immediately reached out to the Global team for assistance. He said they had to create a new record to move the ticket over since there were no DL flights in the reservation. After just under an hour, we had newly reissued tickets confirmed in Z on DL 006 stock. Now to hope that travel restrictions are lifted by May...
The most recent changes to the T&Cs are extremely interesting. I can imagine some trips like yours that don't touch North America may confuse the agents, but this is also useful for trips such as JFK-AMS-SIN which can't be booked on KL metal/DL flight numbers (Delta makes you go via the Pacific, usually on KE), but can be booked on KL flight numbers and are an obvious good use of GUCs. (Or, if one wanted, it appears it should even be possible to do trips like JFK-AMS-NRT, which is out of the way, but could be interesting given how much easier to find KLM Z space usually is relative to Delta metal upgrade space, especially if booking in advance, and assuming the Z fare MQM/MQD earning loophole is still in place...)

And even more exciting, it appears that the T&Cs for AF now allow the same thing -- any DL or AF marketing flight numbers and booking into Z. Previously AF upgrades were only Y->Premium Economy or PE->Business, and only from high fare classes. Because of that, I can imagine there may be plenty of confusion among agents about trying to apply the new AF rules, and the terms are not 100% clear but it looks like they should be interpreted the same way as on Delta metal -- you can upgrade from coach direct to either PE or J, and obviously would choose J if it's available. AF's business class is arguably nicer than KLM's, and their schedules and destinations may work better for some trips, so this is a very nice add.
uitailgater and aeroman380 like this.
Old Dec 21, 2020, 8:31 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by eneq
I actually already have the EF subscription, and I've found the dates and route I want. Just not sure the quickest way to search and apply the GUC. It sounds like other posters have had a easier time using Twitter, but that was before 2020.
Twitter being a safer approach hasn't been reliably true for a while now (and I think Delta has tried to move the chat support desks to iMessage and other platforms anyway). Calling is probably your best bet, and historically works best during weekday business hours when the most senior agents would be working, but there is always a risk of finding an agent who doesn't follow the correct processes and gives you the wrong information. If you're armed with knowledge that Z space is available on the KL flight numbers according to EF, you can push them a bit (politely) asking things like "I think I saw that for KLM upgrades, it upgrades into Z, right? I think I saw that Z is available for those flights, is that what you're seeing?" And pulling the ripcord early and very politely if you seem to have a clueless or argumentative agent so they don't put a nasty mark in your file which may complicate HUCA efforts.
Old Jan 20, 2021, 7:11 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Had an agent today confirm availability, but then deny the upgrade today because my V-fare, V-class, KL-marketed, KL-ticketed itinerary was booked on an Economy Light fare basis. They read me some text from an internal system that included "Economy Light" fares, but couldn't explain why that information isn't published anywhere externally. :/

Has anyone applied a GUC to a KLM Economy Light fare, or is this a legitimate restriction that they just failed to document properly?
Old Jan 21, 2021, 8:16 am

Originally Posted by BenA
Had an agent today confirm availability, but then deny the upgrade today because my V-fare, V-class, KL-marketed, KL-ticketed itinerary was booked on an Economy Light fare basis. They read me some text from an internal system that included "Economy Light" fares, but couldn't explain why that information isn't published anywhere externally. :/

Has anyone applied a GUC to a KLM Economy Light fare, or is this a legitimate restriction that they just failed to document properly?
About a month ago I applied a GUC to a KLM Economy Light ticket (R-class, KL-marketed, KL-ticketed) with no issues.
Old May 14, 2021, 2:58 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Today's fun experience: I was told that an all-AF itinerary couldn't be upgraded because there was no Delta version of the record, and that at least one flight segment must be on Delta for them to see the reservation to upgrade it.

Has anyone else encountered this? If so, what is the magic incantation I need to ask the Delta agent to do to create a record in their system for the trip?
Old May 14, 2021, 2:59 pm

About a month ago I applied a GUC to a KLM Economy Light ticket (R-class, KL-marketed, KL-ticketed) with no issues.
To follow up on my _last_ unsuccessful attempt to use a GUC on AF/KL, I have a support case open with Delta asking if there's been a policy change, but it's been two months and they haven't bothered to reply yet, so... no updates. I suspect this was just an example of me getting a misinformed agent.
Old May 14, 2021, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by BenA
Today's fun experience: I was told that an all-AF itinerary couldn't be upgraded because there was no Delta version of the record, and that at least one flight segment must be on Delta for them to see the reservation to upgrade it.

Has anyone else encountered this? If so, what is the magic incantation I need to ask the Delta agent to do to create a record in their system for the trip?
100% untrue. I'm halfway through an all AF and AF purchased trip LAX-JNB via CDG. Agent will need to create a DL PNR. There's a step by step procedure in the GUC policy for this. If agent insists otherwise HUCA, or ask for the AF/KL support desk.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.