Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta 24 Hour "Risk Free" Cancellation Policy Consolidated Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta 24 Hour "Risk Free" Cancellation Policy Consolidated Thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2005, 4:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by stuck_in_mco
When I referred to the "Low Fare Promise"'s risk-free cancellation policy, the lady said it doesn't apply to paper tickets. I pointed out that the "Low Fare Promise" page did not specifically exclude paper tickets, and she demurred.
Wrong. Call back or send a complaint.
Old Oct 19, 2005, 6:04 am

Assuming that you paid for the ticket with a credit card, dispute the charge if DL does not give you satisfaction. Print a copy of the webpage showing the "Low Fare Promise"'s risk-free cancellation policy ASAP for your records.
Old Oct 19, 2005, 6:18 am

Programs: DL FO, UA Premier Silver, AA Gold, PC Gold, HH Silver, MR Silver
I would call back as well and ask for that money back. If you don't get any satisfaction, ask to speak to a supervisor. The supervisor usually has more authority and I'm sure DL wants as much good will out there as possible.
Old Oct 19, 2005, 6:45 am

Programs: DL MM
Originally Posted by vinnmann
Assuming that you paid for the ticket with a credit card, dispute the charge if DL does not give you satisfaction. Print a copy of the webpage showing the "Low Fare Promise"'s risk-free cancellation policy ASAP for your records.
I've thought of this option too - great minds think alike

But DL DOES not issue a cancellation notice and/or code; so there is really NO way of getting my own documentation that I'd cancelled my paid-for itinerary within the allowable timeframe.

I did check the DL website, and it no longer lists the paid-for ticket/itinerary - it had been there prior to the cancellation. So perhaps that's a roundabout way of documenting that I'd cancelled my paid-for itinerary. However it'll be much better if I did get a e-mailed cancellation notice with a cancellation code, which I can group together with the "Risk-Free Cancellation Policy" and my original confirmation e-mail to demonstrate to Amex that DL wasn't honoring its policy.
Old Oct 19, 2005, 7:34 am

Location: (not Montana. Nor is my name really Helena, nor am I female)
Programs: Delta, USAirways, Starwood, Priority Club, Marriott, Amex
I wonder if it would help document the timing of your cancellation if you filed a notice (i.e., sent a letter) with Amex prior to the expiration of the cancellation date stating that you had cancelled the reservation. If there were any dispute from Delta, I'd think such a letter in your file at Amex would help your case.

Edited later to add:

Umm, never mind, please disregard the above suggestion, as it is not viable given the short time window available. I was thinking of a different situation.

Last edited by Helena Handbaskets; Oct 19, 2005 at 1:58 pm
Old Oct 19, 2005, 7:38 am

I've thought of this option too - great minds think alike

But DL DOES not issue a cancellation notice and/or code; so there is really NO way of getting my own documentation that I'd cancelled my paid-for itinerary within the allowable timeframe.

I did check the DL website, and it no longer lists the paid-for ticket/itinerary - it had been there prior to the cancellation. So perhaps that's a roundabout way of documenting that I'd cancelled my paid-for itinerary. However it'll be much better if I did get a e-mailed cancellation notice with a cancellation code, which I can group together with the "Risk-Free Cancellation Policy" and my original confirmation e-mail to demonstrate to Amex that DL wasn't honoring its policy.
Just write the CC and say "on I paid $x.xx for the ticket, requested a refund per these terms (attach DL risk-free cancellation rules), and was not refunded the full amount. Please adjust my account."
Old Oct 19, 2005, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Other than trying to escalate, which is often difficult, you did the smart thing by cancelling, even if $150 short. You now can show it was cancelled in time, but just was not handled correctly.

By the way, did you rebook in the process?
Old Oct 19, 2005, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by vinnmann
Just write the CC and say "on I paid $x.xx for the ticket, requested a refund per these terms (attach DL risk-free cancellation rules), and was not refunded the full amount. Please adjust my account."
My experience is that this won't work. The credit card company will want "proof" of the bad charge and they would have no idea when you requested such refund. They don't just automatically take the customers viewpoint.
Old Oct 19, 2005, 10:01 am

Originally Posted by indufan
My experience is that this won't work. The credit card company will want "proof" of the bad charge and they would have no idea when you requested such refund. They don't just automatically take the customers viewpoint.
I was able to get AMEX to pretty easily chargeback a cancellation fee to a third party site when they refused and I was in the right.
Old Oct 19, 2005, 10:48 am

Real "paper" tickets are not eligible for the Risk free cancellation policy.
Old Oct 19, 2005, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by pen82267
Real "paper" tickets are not eligible for the Risk free cancellation policy.
And where on the website does it say that?

Terms & Conditions
Tickets/Cancellation:
Cancellation request must be made by midnight of the day after the ticket is purchased or midnight of the departure date of the first flight, whichever comes first. Available only for tickets purchased at the time of reservation through Delta ticket offices and airport ticket counters, Reservation Sales, or at delta.com or flysong.com.

Validity:
Valid for travel originating in the United States, U.S. Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico, and Canada, regardless of where the ticket is purchased.

If you wish to pay for your ticket with any paper currency—such as cash, or check, or denied boarding voucher—you may make the reservation over the phone, which will guarantee the fare for 24 hours. Your ticket must be purchased at a Delta ticketing location by midnight of the following day, or your reservation will be cancelled. Once purchased, these tickets will not be eligible for cancellation under the Risk-Free Cancellation policy.

Does not apply to non-revenue tickets such as SkyMiles Awards.

Miscellaneous:
Cancellation request does not need to go through the same area in which the ticket was purchased. For example, if you purchase via Reservations, you can cancel through delta.com.

Fares, offers and rules are subject to change without notice.
Old Oct 19, 2005, 1:29 pm

I've used this about 6 times. Each time I just pressed the cancel button on my itinenary and got a confirmation screen with a cancel number. The reservation disappears from my list of intineraries. My credit card was refunded (within a day or two). I really like this policy.

Happydad100
Old Oct 19, 2005, 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by happydad100
I've used this about 6 times. Each time I just pressed the cancel button on my itinenary and got a confirmation screen with a cancel number. The reservation disappears from my list of intineraries. My credit card was refunded (within a day or two). I really like this policy.

Happydad100
It's good that the policy works for tickets with only domestic segments.

But my itinerary had international segments, so I couldn't use the "cancel" button. That's when I called DL, and found out that I was subject to a $150 cancellation penalty. Keep in mind that the "risk-free cancellation" policy did not specifically exclude tickets with international segments, or paper tickets.
Old Oct 20, 2005, 9:36 am

It's good that the policy works for tickets with only domestic segments.

But my itinerary had international segments, so I couldn't use the "cancel" button. That's when I called DL, and found out that I was subject to a $150 cancellation penalty. Keep in mind that the "risk-free cancellation" policy did not specifically exclude tickets with international segments, or paper tickets.
Thanks for the input, all I plan to write to DL Customer Care at the following address to document my case with printouts of the original paid-for itinerary & the "risk-free cancellation policy", and see how it responds. If I'm not satisfied (i.e. do not get a refund of the $150 cancellation penalty), I'll see whether Amex can help.

* Mailing them to Delta Air Lines, P.O. Box 20980, Atlanta, GA 30320-2980.

By the way, is this the best address or entity to contact? I will welcome any suggestions. I'm almost a DL Skymiles million-miler; I was hoping that loyalty to DL would count for something

Will keep the community posted ...
Old Oct 21, 2005, 12:16 pm

This is what was listed on their website: I put in bold where it states the no paper ticket policy.

Risk-free Cancellation
As part of our Low Fare Promise, you can now get a refund for electronic tickets you purchased directly through Delta. You don’t even have to call.

Once you've bought your ticket, you have a day to cancel a ticket for any reason and receive a full refund—including any prepaid fees and Direct Ticketing Charges—with no cancellation fee.

See full terms and conditions for additional details.

Here’s how it works:

Use your name and flight confirmation number or your SkyMiles number and PIN to search for your itinerary. Then, cancel your ticket. Your refund will be automatically applied to your original form of payment.
If you purchased your ticket at a Delta ticket office or airport ticket counter, e-mail your receipt number (beginning with 006) for a refund of the Direct Ticketing Charge.
Terms & Conditions
Tickets/Cancellation:
Cancellation request must be made by midnight of the day after the ticket is purchased or midnight of the departure date of the first flight, whichever comes first. Available only for tickets purchased at the time of reservation through Delta ticket offices and airport ticket counters, Reservation Sales, or at delta.com or flysong.com.

Validity:
Valid for travel originating in the United States, U.S. Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico, and Canada, regardless of where the ticket is purchased.

If you wish to pay for your ticket with any paper currency—such as cash, or check, or denied boarding voucher—you may make the reservation over the phone, which will guarantee the fare for 24 hours. Your ticket must be purchased at a Delta ticketing location by midnight of the following day, or your reservation will be cancelled. Once purchased, these tickets will not be eligible for cancellation under the Risk-Free Cancellation policy.

Does not apply to paper tickets or to non-revenue tickets such as SkyMiles Awards.

Miscellaneous:
Cancellation request does not need to go through the same area in which the ticket was purchased. For example, if you purchase via Reservations, you can cancel through delta.com.

Fares, offers and rules are subject to change without notice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.