Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL applies for Haneda slots: ATL/LAX/MSP

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DL applies for Haneda slots: ATL/LAX/MSP

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2016, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by ashill
Until April 2017, yes.

The four incumbents were each allowed to move their existing nighttime flights to the daytime temporarily. They were required to apply from scratch for service beginning in the IATA summer 2017 season, which is this current proceeding.
Any idea when we can expect to see the schedule change updates or what the actual flight time will be? Right now flights in February 2017 are still showing the 12:10 AM departure for HND-LAX when booking on DL.com, so it's not reflecting a daytime departure yet. My flight already had a schedule change on the arrival end - initial arrival time when I booked was 6:00 PM, now it's 5:05 PM. It just means a longer layover now (almost 4 hours instead of 3) before continuing on to SEA, but I'm holding off seeing about any schedule change options until I see how the daytime slots work out.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 2:13 pm

Programs: None that I am proud of anymore
Delta's reservation system is viewable and bookable 330 days out * and the schedule subject to change in time and aircraft used at any time.
New routes can be added anytime some with a great deal of fanfare and media attention.
Foreign slots and flights pending government approval are just that pending !
Old Apr 27, 2016, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by DLERT
Delta's reservation system is viewable and bookable 330 days out * and the schedule subject to change in time and aircraft used at any time.
New routes can be added anytime some with a great deal of fanfare and media attention.
Foreign slots and flights pending government approval are just that pending !
Not sure if you were intending to be snarky or not but I'm well aware about schedule changes and such. A schedule change wouldn't bother me - I was just asking when I might actually see it in my reservation so I can plan accordingly with the options available.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by Longboater
Wow. Raise your hand if you saw this coming as I sure didn't. I'd have to think DL will upgrade the 76T used on LAX-HND to a 777 to offset the loss in capacity. Helps its daytime so DL shouldn't have a problem filling the plane. This might be the REAL beginning of the end for DL's NRT operation. PDX-NRT is likely gone sooner or later (Sorry Nike) and management has indicated MSP-NRT is gone as well. If ATL-HND is approved, which I believe it will, DL might be down to just SEA/DTW/JFK/HNL-NRT as early as next year.
Wouldn't Delta have to get all 3 slot pair requests approved in order for ATL-HND to become a reality?
Old Apr 27, 2016, 9:26 pm

Programs: UA Gold Marriott Gold AA Gold Choice Gold Wyndham PLAT IHG PLAT Avis President's Club Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by Fanjet
Wouldn't Delta have to get all 3 slot pair requests approved in order for ATL-HND to become a reality?
DL had three route applications in preference LAX-HND, MSP-HND, ATL-HND. Its up to DOT to award the slots. As I stated earlier in this thread and subsequently got butchered for, MSP-HND as a second preference is nothing but playing politics. DL plans on ditching MSP-NRT due to their claim HND will put enormous pressure on their NRT operation, thus making MSP-NRT a sacrificial lamb, in addition to PDX-NRT. The only reasoning DOT would approve MSP-HND is its possible not a single Midwestern City obtains a HND flight, depending on the actions of NH/JAL. That alone could very well swing DOT over to approving the flight, while awarding AA DFW-HND instead of giving DL ATL-HND. Now if someone in Vegas were to be betting on this....
Old Apr 27, 2016, 9:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

DL had three route applications in preference LAX-HND, MSP-HND, ATL-HND. Its up to DOT to award the slots. As I stated earlier in this thread and subsequently got butchered for, MSP-HND as a second preference is nothing but playing politics. DL plans on ditching MSP-NRT due to their claim HND will put enormous pressure on their NRT operation, thus making MSP-NRT a sacrificial lamb, in addition to PDX-NRT. The only reasoning DOT would approve MSP-HND is its possible not a single Midwestern City obtains a HND flight, depending on the actions of NH/JAL. That alone could very well swing DOT over to approving the flight, while awarding AA DFW-HND instead of giving DL ATL-HND. Now if someone in Vegas were to be betting on this....
Do you actually think that the DOT will award Delta three of the five available daytime slot pairs at HND for U.S. carriers? Because I don't. Which would mean that ATL-HND (being given third priority by Delta) would not get approved.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 9:53 pm

Programs: UA Gold Marriott Gold AA Gold Choice Gold Wyndham PLAT IHG PLAT Avis President's Club Amtrak Select
Do you actually think that the DOT will award Delta three of the five available daytime slot pairs at HND for U.S. carriers? Because I don't. Which would mean that ATL-HND (being given third priority by Delta) would not get approved.
Many on this board think they'll get three due to DL's lack of JV with a Japanese carrier. I'm sure they'll get two because of this disadvantage.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 10:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
Any idea when we can expect to see the schedule change updates or what the actual flight time will be? Right now flights in February 2017 are still showing the 12:10 AM departure for HND-LAX when booking on DL.com, so it's not reflecting a daytime departure yet. My flight already had a schedule change on the arrival end - initial arrival time when I booked was 6:00 PM, now it's 5:05 PM. It just means a longer layover now (almost 4 hours instead of 3) before continuing on to SEA, but I'm holding off seeing about any schedule change options until I see how the daytime slots work out.
The deadline to apply for HND daytime slots for the winter season is May 19, 2016. Don't know how quickly the slots will be assigned but probably by sometime in June or July. That's the earliest you can expect to see DL change the timing of the existing LAX-HND flights. It will probably closely match the existing LAX-NRT schedule, as DL's proposed LAX-HND application (for next summer) uses the same proposed departure and arrival times as the existing NRT schedule.

Next February, the LAX-HND flight will be a daytime flight, but it will be at least several weeks before the precise times are known - that's when DL will reschedule the flight.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 1:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Many on this board think they'll get three due to DL's lack of JV with a Japanese carrier. I'm sure they'll get two because of this disadvantage.
Well, let's put it this way:

The DOT has the responsibility of awarding 6 slot pairs to U.S. carriers at HND. 5 are daytime slot pairs; 1 is a nighttime slot pair. Four carriers have applied for the daytime slots. So, giving Delta three of the daytime slot pairs would leave two of the three other airlines one daytime slot pair each; and the thrid no daytime slot pair at all.

As for the lack of a Japanese ATI/JV partner. Delta has basically the same amount of flights to Tokyo from the United States as AA/JL, as well as UA/NH.

But if you think Delta will only get two slot pairs, that means ATL-HND is a no-go. As that is their 3rd ranked priority request.

Last edited by Fanjet; Apr 28, 2016 at 1:22 am
Old Apr 28, 2016, 3:42 am

Programs: DL:360/DM/6 MMer; Bonvoy: Lifetime Titanium 10+M pts, 3100+ nights;
Sure wish DL would actually take some of their 787s from Boeing for these Haneda routes. Enjoyed one last night on KLM DEL-AMS and I must say the passenger experience is superb. Higher pressurization and elevated humidity made the flight much more enjoyable. Those birds would do a good job with the O&D loads to Haneda from LAX/MSP/ATL.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 4:25 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
But if you think Delta will only get two slot pairs, that means ATL-HND is a no-go. As that is their 3rd ranked priority request.
The DOT doesn't have to award slots in the airlines' order of preference. I very much expect that either AA or DL will not get their first choice (since both asked for LAX first) and will get their second or third choice (DFW for AA, MSP or ATL for DL). Now, if the DOT is giving DL one of their second and third choices, they'll probably choose the second choice (MSP) since neither overlap with another airline's proposal, but they could decide that ATL is more in the public interest and award that over MSP. (I actually think that MSP is better for the public interest because neither ATL nor MSP have much in the way of local traffic, so both are mostly about connections. Due to geography, MSP provides more efficient connections than ATL, as I and others stated up thread.)
Old Apr 28, 2016, 6:30 am
EZE

Programs: All of em more or less
A bit surprised that they didn't apply for JFK.

Best guess for HND would be:
Ana + UA
Ana - JFK, ORD, LAX (+night HNL)
UA - SFO (I assume only one given that ANA apparently gets 4!)

AA + JAL
JAL - JFK, ORD
AA - Lax, DFW

DL - LAX, MSP OR ATL

HA - night HNL

I could also see DL getting three via either giving night slot to UA for SFO which is better able to handle night slot or taking the AA DFW slot. Both would result in a more equitable division of slots when looking at it on a JV basis (i.e. Daytime would be 4-3-3 instead of 4-4-2). Will be interesting to see!
Old Apr 28, 2016, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EZE
I could also see DL getting three via either giving night slot to UA for SFO which is better able to handle night slot or taking the AA DFW slot. Both would result in a more equitable division of slots when looking at it on a JV basis (i.e. Daytime would be 4-3-3 instead of 4-4-2). Will be interesting to see!
The only airline that applied for the nighttime frequency was HA, so there's no chance that UA ends up with it. HA will get the night frequency, so the only open question with respect to HA is whether the DOT also gives it a daytime frequency. My guess is that the answer to that is "negative."

That leaves AA, DL and UA arguing over five daytime frequencies. Someone's going to be disappointed.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 9:23 am

Programs: QMiles,Delta, United, Miles & More, AA, Avis, Hertz, National, SPG, Le Club Accorhotels
Originally Posted by FWAAA
..... Someone's going to be disappointed.
Us the passengers.....
Old Apr 28, 2016, 9:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by skyrider117
Us the passengers.....
....whether DL gets its way on this or not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.