Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Overhead Storage Bin Space: Coats Versus Luggage

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Overhead Storage Bin Space: Coats Versus Luggage

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2015, 6:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: EK Plat, UA GS, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Amex Centurion
Originally Posted by BeatCal
If it had been my stuff and you smashed my subway, your bag would then have been thrown deeply underground. There is NO policy that only bags can go in the overhead. - and the FA would have been so told. Had the young lady been a man in a suit, I bet the FA would have acted differently
LOL I hope that were on the same flight and were in this situation. I would love to shove my rollaboard into the overhead bin and put it right on your jacket. And I would love to see you argue that my bag should be "thrown deeply underground."
My question is, if you don't care enough about it to hang it up, whats the issue with luggage on top of it? I think a young man in a suit would know that he could have his coat hung up, something you havent seemed to learn in your 4 million miles on DL.
You've definitely found the right thread
Old Dec 12, 2015, 7:09 pm

Programs: DL DM PM
Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
RAKWYA
Old Dec 12, 2015, 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by Emirates202
I couldn't have said it better.
Old Dec 12, 2015, 7:39 pm
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
Back when we had wheelies before roller boards I managed to squeeze a set of wheelies in one of those small overheads on a commuter flight. Most of us had to check our large bags at the gate.

I was the first one up on landing and when I snatch my wheelies out of the bin I noticed that they had rolled back and forth a few times over some poor guys white jacket.

I never looked back after deplaning to see the design on the jacket
Old Dec 12, 2015, 7:54 pm

Programs: WN A+, DL nobody, HH Dia, National EE
(and yes as a 4+ million miler, I get personal xmas cards from him every year).

this.......
Old Dec 12, 2015, 10:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
My view is somewhat different from what anyone else has posted.

Yes, I do believe that you should be allowed to keep your coat (or anything else) in the overhead bin under the condition that you are not using more than your share of that bin. That means (if you are in a row with 3 seats on each side, a third of the bin and if you are in a row with 2 seats, one half of the bin).

On my last trip, I was in FC on Alitalia. There are two seats in each side of the row. As I was with my ex and my daughter, we had the two seats on one side and a third seat on the other.

There were severe wind problems that day and numerous planes were late arriving at FCO (we were flying VCE-FCO-TLV). Mine was one of them and AZ held the TLV flight for a full busload of people from other delayed flights.

By the time we boarded, the bin on both sides of the row was full. Between the three of us, we had two pieces we needed to put in the bin. The bin on the side where my ex and I sat had two very large carry ons in it and there were a number of different items on the side where my daughter sat.

As FC consisted of only 5 rows (we were in row 3) I guessed that passengers from Y were using the FC bins. I told the FA that while we had 3 of the 4 seats in the row there was no room for our carry ons. He looked at my side and decided he couldn't do anything about it, but did manage to move enough stuff around on my daughter's side to fit in our two bags.

As we got off the plane in TLV I discovered that I was wrong. The guy in row 2 in front of me not only had both of the large bags which filled our bin but also taken up the bin over his own row with his coat, hat, and a smaller bag which should have gone under the seat in front of him.

(I also had a coat, as did my ex and my daughter, but we had them hung up by the FA.)

Had all of his items took up one half of his bin, I would not think he did anything wrong. As it is, I consider him to be a greedy pig.
Old Dec 13, 2015, 6:19 am
Suspended

Programs: DeltaPrivateJet, Ritz PP, Delta 4 million miler - Flying Colonel; AA Exec Plat (3 million + USAir)
Originally Posted by Dovster
My view is somewhat different from what anyone else has posted.

Yes, I do believe that you should be allowed to keep your coat (or anything else) in the overhead bin under the condition that you are not using more than your share of that bin. That means (if you are in a row with 3 seats on each side, a third of the bin and if you are in a row with 2 seats, one half of the bin).

On my last trip, I was in FC on Alitalia. There are two seats in each side of the row. As I was with my ex and my daughter, we had the two seats on one side and a third seat on the other.

There were severe wind problems that day and numerous planes were late arriving at FCO (we were flying VCE-FCO-TLV). Mine was one of them and AZ held the TLV flight for a full busload of people from other delayed flights.

By the time we boarded, the bin on both sides of the row was full. Between the three of us, we had two pieces we needed to put in the bin. The bin on the side where my ex and I sat had two very large carry ons in it and there were a number of different items on the side where my daughter sat.

As FC consisted of only 5 rows (we were in row 3) I guessed that passengers from Y were using the FC bins. I told the FA that while we had 3 of the 4 seats in the row there was no room for our carry ons. He looked at my side and decided he couldn't do anything about it, but did manage to move enough stuff around on my daughter's side to fit in our two bags.

As we got off the plane in TLV I discovered that I was wrong. The guy in row 2 in front of me not only had both of the large bags which filled our bin but also taken up the bin over his own row with his coat, hat, and a smaller bag which should have gone under the seat in front of him.

(I also had a coat, as did my ex and my daughter, but we had them hung up by the FA.)

Had all of his items took up one half of his bin, I would not think he did anything wrong. As it is, I consider him to be a greedy pig.
well said
Old Dec 13, 2015, 6:24 am
Suspended

Programs: DeltaPrivateJet, Ritz PP, Delta 4 million miler - Flying Colonel; AA Exec Plat (3 million + USAir)
Originally Posted by Emirates202
LOL I hope that were on the same flight and were in this situation. I would love to shove my rollaboard into the overhead bin and put it right on your jacket. And I would love to see you argue that my bag should be "thrown deeply underground."
My question is, if you don't care enough about it to hang it up, whats the issue with luggage on top of it? I think a young man in a suit would know that he could have his coat hung up, something you havent seemed to learn in your 4 million miles on DL.
Go back and read the OP. It was not a suit coat but a bulky winter coat. The proportion of the bin that is hers IS HERS TO USE> And yes Delta would retrain her. If she had been a man in a suit - I sincerely doubt whether the FA would have hassled her.

I was flying Japan to US and on boarding there was a young college girl in 2A - the only person not a male in a suit. The FA demanded to see her ticket and then brought the GA to reconfirm that she was in first.
Old Dec 13, 2015, 6:36 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Go back and read the OP. It was not a suit coat but a bulky winter coat. The proportion of the bin that is hers IS HERS TO USE> And yes Delta would retrain her. If she had been a man in a suit - I sincerely doubt whether the FA would have hassled her.

I was flying Japan to US and on boarding there was a young college girl in 2A - the only person not a male in a suit. The FA demanded to see her ticket and then brought the GA to reconfirm that she was in first.
I hope she filed a complaint after the flight, assuming that she was a revenue passenger. For a FA to check the boarding pass is one thing, but not the ticket as it's not the FA's business how much was paid for the fare. It also was highly inappropriate then to get the GA to further verify that the young woman was actually supposed to be in the premium cabin.

This story sounds like the work of the really old guy who worked as a FA and purser for so long on PMNW and then DL. He was really horrible to victims (also known as paying customers with generally very expensive tickets) that he didn't personally think belonged in FC and later business class (WBC and then BE). His opinion seemed to be that anyone who wasn't a middle aged or older male in business clothing shouldn't be there, although sometimes elderly well dressed couples were given reprieves if they were sufficiently deferential to him.
Old Dec 13, 2015, 7:12 am

Programs: Delta Diamond; HHonors Diamond
You can put your coat up there. However, when space is tight, as it usually is, the FA has the right to tell you move it.

The notion that an FA will be disciplined or retrained over this is ludicrous. This is standard procedure. I don't think I've ever seen a time when a FA allowed a coat to stay in the bin when juggling things around to try to fit in bags. They move them to the coat closet or stuff them on top of bags once all bags are in place.
Old Dec 13, 2015, 7:21 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Often there's an announcement during boarding that asks people to hold their coats until boarding is complete and then the coats can be placed in bins on top of bags. To me this is common sense.
Old Dec 13, 2015, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I hope she filed a complaint after the flight, assuming that she was a revenue passenger. For a FA to check the boarding pass is one thing, but not the ticket as it's not the FA's business how much was paid for the fare. It also was highly inappropriate then to get the GA to further verify that the young woman was actually supposed to be in the premium cabin.
+1

This story sounds like the work of the really old guy who worked as a FA and purser for so long on PMNW and then DL. He was really horrible to victims (also known as paying customers with generally very expensive tickets) that he didn't personally think belonged in FC and later business class (WBC and then BE). His opinion seemed to be that anyone who wasn't a middle aged or older male in business clothing shouldn't be there, although sometimes elderly well dressed couples were given reprieves if they were sufficiently deferential to him
Disgraceful
Old Dec 13, 2015, 12:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Plat, Marriott Life Gold, ***Princess Status***
Often there's an announcement during boarding that asks people to hold their coats until boarding is complete and then the coats can be placed in bins on top of bags. To me this is common sense.
It's silly for the FA to be pink tagging bags onboard so a winter coat can take up 2 places in an overhead bin on a CRJ-900 when there is space in the closet. No one cares when there is space available.
Old Dec 13, 2015, 1:15 pm

Programs: DeltaSilver/MM, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by nikitta28
Triple double diamond/kryptonium personal friend of Mr Anderson... Beat that
When I mentioned my Triple double diamond status, I left out my kryptonium status because I didn't want to brag or appear to be a DYKWIA.

Old Dec 13, 2015, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by nikitta28
It's silly for the FA to be pink tagging bags onboard so a winter coat can take up 2 places in an overhead bin on a CRJ-900 when there is space in the closet. No one cares when there is space available.
I often wear a fairly heavy ski-type parka when traveling in the winter; it's compressible enough that it actually fits in the sliding-door bins over the A seats in a CR7/CR9/E75 FC cabin ... haven't tried this with a wool overcoat, but I suspect it would also fit

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.