Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Overhead Storage Bin Space: Coats Versus Luggage

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Overhead Storage Bin Space: Coats Versus Luggage

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2015, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by brocklee9000
... stuck my tongue in the corner of the window and walked the length of the hallway. This has, somewhat seriously, been attributed to my strong immune system.
sorry, literalist police here
I think you're mixing up effect and cause ... "been cited as the reason I have" seems to make more sense

ok, let's get back to DYKWIA postings please
Old Dec 11, 2015, 5:41 pm

Programs: DL Pork Medallion, PP, GE
Originally Posted by jrl767
sorry, literalist police here
I think you're mixing up effect and cause ... "been cited as the reason I have" seems to make more sense

ok, let's get back to DYKWIA postings please
Haha, you're absolutely right. My attention was divided between a couple different things. I started typing that and then responded to an email, typed some more and a coworker showed me something, typed some more, etc., and I didn't proofread well enough.
Old Dec 11, 2015, 11:06 pm

Programs: DL FO, KM, & 1.7MM; UA nothing; HH♦; National EE
Originally Posted by gooselee
I was disgusting...
Were you having a contest with the guy?
Old Dec 12, 2015, 6:56 am
Suspended

Programs: DeltaPrivateJet, Ritz PP, Delta 4 million miler - Flying Colonel; AA Exec Plat (3 million + USAir)
Originally Posted by nikitta28
My partner and I are last to board a CRJ-900 for premium cabin, I glance in front of me and realize quickly it's going to be a problem because almost everyone has roller boards and we are last on. We are in 2C and D, as expected I walk back to mid-EC and put my bag up. Coming back from EC I see my partner is agitated and standing in front of row 3, the bin over 3 C&D only has a large over coat and a small purse stuffed in it. Knowing he is not up for confrontation I gently ask the young college DYKWIA ladies in 3 C&D whose coat it is. D answers with attitude it is in fact hers. I state nicely to her, "the bins are usually used for bags on this small plane and the FA will hang your coat if you place it on your lap" she says "um ya no thanks" .... Now the line to board is backed up and people are getting frustrated. I tell her "Ok but the FA will likely take her coat out of the bin anyway." Now my partner and the guy in 3A want to put their bags up but she doubles down and refuses, the FA shouts from the galley "EXACTLY what is the problem" I slide into 2D and the FA shouts to hand her the coat. DYKWIA then refuses to allow the coat to be handed to the FA and makes the FA climb past 5 people to get the coat herself. DYKWIA is quite upset she was de-binned and gives my seat 3-4 good whoops with her foot. My partner and I are giggling profusely at this point. DYKWIA then goes on a tirade about her phone being in the pocket of her coat (which she wouldn't have had access to in the bin) and demands the FA bring her back the coat!
She has as much right as you do to use the bin. Seems to me that you and your partner are the real DYKWIA
Old Dec 12, 2015, 7:31 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by BeatCal
She has as much right as you do to use the bin. Seems to me that you and your partner are the real DYKWIA
For a jacket and subway sandwiches? No. You're wrong. Sure, she has a right, but my bag is going right on top of her stuff then.
Old Dec 12, 2015, 7:40 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Seat back pockets are a great place to put food and the floor is a great place to put a coat, or a closet.
Old Dec 12, 2015, 8:08 am

Programs: Delta TDK(or care)WIA, Hilton Diamond
That's right! That's why the FA said the coat could stay in the bin where it was! Oh wait...
Old Dec 12, 2015, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by United747
the floor is a great place to put a coat
I'm glad you aren't looking after my coat
Old Dec 12, 2015, 9:43 am
Suspended

Programs: DeltaPrivateJet, Ritz PP, Delta 4 million miler - Flying Colonel; AA Exec Plat (3 million + USAir)
Originally Posted by DeepUnderground
For a jacket and subway sandwiches? No. You're wrong. Sure, she has a right, but my bag is going right on top of her stuff then.
If it had been my stuff and you smashed my subway, your bag would then have been thrown deeply underground. There is NO policy that only bags can go in the overhead. - and the FA would have been so told. Had the young lady been a man in a suit, I bet the FA would have acted differently
Old Dec 12, 2015, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by Howste
Originally Posted by gooselee
I was disgusting...
Were you having a contest with the guy?
No. Apparently I was having a fight with my keyboard.
Old Dec 12, 2015, 10:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Plat, Marriott Life Gold, ***Princess Status***
That's what the coat closet is for, coats - and why the FA comes on and specifically says "please don't put coats in the overhead bins and small bags go under your seats" it's not DYKWIA behavior it's following standard curtosy. Her sandwiches and purse could have easily fit on the small side of the CRJ. It is standard operating procedure of the FA to shuffle stuff around to ensure everyone things fit in my experience as well. Causing a big ruckus and making people have their bags pink tagged so her coat could take up an entire bin and not be hung in the closet was DYKWIA silliness.
Old Dec 12, 2015, 10:38 am
Suspended

That's what the coat closet is for, coats - and why the FA comes on and specifically says "please don't put coats in the overhead bins and small bags go under your seats" it's not DYKWIA behavior it's following standard curtosy. Her sandwiches and purse could have easily fit on the small side of the CRJ. It is standard operating procedure of the FA to shuffle stuff around to ensure everyone things fit in my experience as well. Causing a big ruckus and making people have their bags pink tagged so her coat could take up an entire bin and not be hung in the closet was DYKWIA silliness.
Wrong.
She paid as much as you to use it. You are just pissed that you got on too late and they did not save the space for important you
Old Dec 12, 2015, 11:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Plat, Marriott Life Gold, ***Princess Status***
Wrong.
She paid as much as you to use it. You are just pissed that you got on too late and they did not save the space for important you
People are free to stuff the bins with with empty plastic garbage bags if they get on first, doesn't mean the FA will go for it : )
Old Dec 12, 2015, 11:27 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott PE
If it had been my stuff and you smashed my subway, your bag would then have been thrown deeply underground. There is NO policy that only bags can go in the overhead. - and the FA would have been so told. Had the young lady been a man in a suit, I bet the FA would have acted differently
When the FA says, as they often do, not to put your coat in the overhead bin, or specifically asks it to be removed, then yes, you have to. At that point if you don't do it, you're interfering with the FA and violating federal law.
Old Dec 12, 2015, 11:46 am

Programs: DL DM PM
The DYKWIA was a large girl and she had a big winter coat, 4 sub sandwiches and a purse in there. Don't think You could have stuffed the bag on top of the coat from the view I had. My partner said he jammed his bag right on top of the sandwiches after the coat removal. I left that part out.
I'm inordinately happy that your partner squashed her sandwiches.

I totally understand the people who don't want to put their single small bag under their seat because they'd rather have the leg room, but wasting the overhead bin for coat and sandwich is just silly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.