Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Overhead Storage Bin Space: Coats Versus Luggage

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Overhead Storage Bin Space: Coats Versus Luggage

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2015, 1:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by jrl767
I often wear a fairly heavy ski-type parka when traveling in the winter; it's compressible enough that it actually fits in the sliding-door bins over the A seats in a CR7/CR9/E75 FC cabin ... haven't tried this with a wool overcoat, but I suspect it would also fit
Some CRJ-900s, such as those operated by SkyWest, have the small bins on the left side of the aircraft permanently glued closed for some unknown reason. It's annoying, but those planes are so beat up that the doors that should be permanently glued shut so that the entire aircraft cannot be used.
Old Dec 13, 2015, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by spamkiller
When I mentioned my Triple double diamond status, I left out my kryptonium status because I didn't want to brag or appear to be a DYKWIA.

Double quadruple unobtanium infinity plus one with extra Christmas cards member here

Old Dec 13, 2015, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Calchas
Double quadruple unobtanium infinity plus one with extra Christmas cards member here

One day you will have enough status to buy the airline and send your own Christmas cards..
Old Dec 13, 2015, 2:32 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Richard Anderson sends me Hanukkah cards, one for each night. Beat that.
Old Dec 13, 2015, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CMK10
Richard Anderson sends me Hanukkah cards, one for each night. Beat that.
Would private Twitter pictures count?
Old Dec 13, 2015, 3:01 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by TomMM
Would private Twitter pictures count?
I call Anthony Weiner as an expert witness.
Old Dec 13, 2015, 5:31 pm
HMO

Originally Posted by Dovster
My view is somewhat different from what anyone else has posted.

Yes, I do believe that you should be allowed to keep your coat (or anything else) in the overhead bin under the condition that you are not using more than your share of that bin. That means (if you are in a row with 3 seats on each side, a third of the bin and if you are in a row with 2 seats, one half of the bin).
Originally Posted by BeatCal
Go back and read the OP. It was not a suit coat but a bulky winter coat. The proportion of the bin that is hers IS HERS TO USE> And yes Delta would retrain her. If she had been a man in a suit - I sincerely doubt whether the FA would have hassled her.
The problem is... nobody has a guaranteed overhead space. Even if some Unobtanium Medallions think so.
Old Dec 13, 2015, 6:25 pm
Suspended

I still can't believe anyone would argue that someone's bags should get gate-checked just so a jacket can sit in an overhead bin rather than — gasp! — get hung up in the closet.
Old Dec 13, 2015, 9:48 pm

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by HMO
The problem is... nobody has a guaranteed overhead space. Even if some Unobtanium Medallions think so.
I don't think I have ever been on a flight (except on a Barbi jet) where everyone could not have put their items in the overhead bin if everybody had used only his share of the bin.

Yes, there are a few bins which are closed off to passenger use, but these are made up for by those passengers who don't use any bin space at all. (As I mentioned above, we were three people flying together but only 2 of us put anything overhead).

Incidentally, I seem to fly a lot in the winter and having my baggage delayed on three separate flights, there is no way I am going to find myself in December in New York or Frankfurt without a coat. In recent years, I have been sitting in the front cabin so I have no problem getting my coat hung up. This, however, is not true in Economy.

Should I put my coat in my checked luggage and risk freezing upon arrival because bin hogs feel that they deserve more than their fair share? When I did fly Economy, I folded up my coat and put it in my roller bag. You would not know what I have in there -- does that make it any better than if I had simply not had a roller bag and put my coat in the overhead?
Old Dec 13, 2015, 10:00 pm
Suspended

No one in his right mind brings a roller bag just to store a jacket, so the question is moot.

Yes, it would be great if people only used their "fair share" of bin space, but if some space in the bins can be freed up by hanging up a jacket, then it's a no-brainer, no-lose solution.

The guy making a federal case out of this would probably lose his mind if some restaurant folded up his jacket and stuffed it into a drawer rather than hang it up in a closet.
Old Dec 13, 2015, 10:40 pm

Originally Posted by jsk1973
No one in his right mind brings a roller bag just to store a jacket, so the question is moot.
Perhaps I am not in my right mind -- but I did, many times. I may have had one or two other things in it (which could also have fit in my "personal item" bag, but I wanted that roller bag for things I would buy when traveling which might break.

On my return flights, heading to Tel Aviv, I was not worried about whether my coat would return in time and I did put it in my checked baggage. At the worst, I would have been a little chilly without it. On the way out of the country, it definitely had my coat inside of it.
Old Dec 13, 2015, 10:49 pm
Suspended

It sounds like you brought the roller bag for reasons that went beyond storing a jacket.

They're obviously never going to force people to check a loose jacket, so I don't see how this debate affects such people.
Old Dec 13, 2015, 11:04 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HHonors Diamond, National Executive Elite
Why would you stuff your coat into an overhead bin when it could be properly hung on a coat hangar??!
I'm the sort of guy who keeps a coat hangar at work so my jacket can hang there neatly
You maintain an entire hangar for one coat?
Old Dec 13, 2015, 11:08 pm

It sounds like you brought the roller bag for reasons that went beyond storing a jacket.

They're obviously never going to force people to check a loose jacket, so I don't see how this debate affects such people.
If I didn't want my jacket in it, I could have simply checked the empty roller bag for the outbound flights. (I would not have had to pay.) In fact, I did that more than once when flying in the summer.

No, they will not force people to check a loose jacket, but they will tell you that it cannot be in the overhead bin (if the bin is too crowded because of bin hogs) and then I would have wound up either sitting on it or wearing it -- not something I enjoy doing, especially on 12 hour flights.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 12:14 am

Yes, it would be great if people only used their "fair share" of bin space, but if some space in the bins can be freed up by hanging up a jacket, then it's a no-brainer, no-lose solution.

The guy making a federal case out of this would probably lose his mind if some restaurant folded up his jacket and stuffed it into a drawer rather than hang it up in a closet.
Not if it is 4 coats . Last year, I brought my family to Tokyo in Dec and we had 4 coats stuffed inside a small cabin luggage. They are so puffy that if not stuffed... they would take up A LOT of space.

As we are 4 pax with 1 handbag, 1 backpack and 1 cabin luggage (for the coats), I do think we made fare use of the bin space.

Separately, we had 2 large luggages checked in.

It was a great trip

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.