Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Overhead Storage Bin Space: Coats Versus Luggage

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Overhead Storage Bin Space: Coats Versus Luggage

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2015, 1:19 am

Originally Posted by nikitta28
The DYKWIA was a large girl and she had a big winter coat, 4 sub sandwiches and a purse in there. Don't think You could have stuffed the bag on top of the coat from the view I had. My partner said he jammed his bag right on top of the sandwiches after the coat removal. I left that part out.
LMAO. You actually left the best part out . I love this story. What a great way to start my day. Thanks for putting a smile on my face

Cindy
Old Dec 14, 2015, 5:47 am
HMO

Originally Posted by Dovster
I don't think I have ever been on a flight (except on a Barbi jet) where everyone could not have put their items in the overhead bin if everybody had used only his share of the bin.

Yes, there are a few bins which are closed off to passenger use, but these are made up for by those passengers who don't use any bin space at all. (As I mentioned above, we were three people flying together but only 2 of us put anything overhead).
One cannot count that someone are not going to use the bin

In single aisle planes, if everybody bring one carry on with the allowed dimensions, there isn't enough space for everybody. The expected "share" is smaller than the carry on size. Therefore, common sense is expected for not use the bins for items that can be placed elsewhere.

At widebodies, the bins space is more generous, minimizing the problem. But at particular flights and/or times, it can a huge problem, like MIA-GRU holidays flights before the Brazilian meltdown.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 6:26 am
Suspended

Programs: DeltaPrivateJet, Ritz PP, Delta 4 million miler - Flying Colonel; AA Exec Plat (3 million + USAir)
Originally Posted by HMO
The problem is... nobody has a guaranteed overhead space. Even if some Unobtanium Medallions think so.
Agree. So OP and Partner should have checked their bags
Old Dec 14, 2015, 9:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Plat, Marriott Life Gold, ***Princess Status***
Originally Posted by CMK10
Richard Anderson sends me Hanukkah cards, one for each night. Beat that.
I know Santa
Old Dec 14, 2015, 10:05 am
HMO

Originally Posted by BeatCal
Agree. So OP and Partner should have checked their bags
Ok, but...
Originally Posted by HMO
...common sense is expected for not use the bins for items that can be placed elsewhere.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 10:55 am

Programs: delta dm
There is a reason there is a coat closet
Old Dec 14, 2015, 11:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by dzflyer
There is a reason there is a coat closet
Yes, but only in the premium cabin. What about all those sitting in Y?
Old Dec 14, 2015, 12:46 pm

Op poster was talking about premium cabin and i was as well....in y either jam it in after all rollers are on hold it or put it under the seat dont wear a coat check it or find a way to get into f
Old Dec 14, 2015, 12:47 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
Typically during winter, I hear FAs ask customers to hold jackets on their laps until the plane is boarded and then place them on top of the bags in the overhead. This seems to me like a fair and relatively simple solution in most cases.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
FAs may ask, but pax don't always comply ... just sayin' ...
Old Dec 14, 2015, 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by jrl767
FAs may ask, but pax don't always comply ... just sayin' ...
thats when the fa holds the woodford /top shelf alcohol hostage in the premium cabin 😉
Old Dec 15, 2015, 12:42 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by HMO
Ok, but...
I think we've all come to the conclusion that common sense is not going to be applied by the gentleman.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 10:04 am

Programs: DL DM Charter/2.5MM, AA EXP, Marriott AMB, LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Avis PP, National Exec-E
I wasn't going to start a new thread for this rant, but why can't the people in FC put the large piece up and the smaller one at their feet? Probably rhetorical. I get UG'd >90% of the time and 100% so far this year, but I always follow that simple rule unless at the bulkhead. Last night flying RDU-ATL, I (4B) boarded towards the end of PREM and coincidently I boarded with 4A, 3A, and 3B. All four of us had a roll-aboard and all of the FC OH was completely full and we had to put our bags 2-3 rows back, nothing like swimming upstream after landing. Once settled in my seat, 4A commented to me about how inconsiderate people can be and then I noticed the amount of briefcases and back packs (all smaller than my Briggs) in the overhead. In ATL I saw all four people in row 2 remove two bags each from above. Yes it is a rant and a First world problem, but is common courtesy completely gone?
Old Feb 8, 2016, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by SYRRDU
I wasn't going to start a new thread for this rant, but why can't the people in FC put the large piece up and the smaller one at their feet? Probably rhetorical. I get UG'd >90% of the time and 100% so far this year, but I always follow that simple rule unless at the bulkhead. Last night flying RDU-ATL, I (4B) boarded towards the end of PREM and coincidently I boarded with 4A, 3A, and 3B. All four of us had a roll-aboard and all of the FC OH was completely full and we had to put our bags 2-3 rows back, nothing like swimming upstream after landing. Once settled in my seat, 4A commented to me about how inconsiderate people can be and then I noticed the amount of briefcases and back packs (all smaller than my Briggs) in the overhead. In ATL I saw all four people in row 2 remove two bags each from above. Yes it is a rant and a First world problem, but is common courtesy completely gone?
If I only have one carry-on item, it goes in the OH bin. I usually travel with a backpack that CAN go under the seat (in case I board late and there's no room in the OH), but if there's OH space available, my backpack is going in the OH bin if that's my only carry-on or my largest carry-on. My opinion is that you can check that roll-a-board, just as I did and that I should not have to sacrifice my (already limited) comfort for several hours so you can save 20 minutes at baggage claim.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 11:49 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
If I only have one carry-on item, it goes in the OH bin. I usually travel with a backpack that CAN go under the seat (in case I board late and there's no room in the OH), but if there's OH space available, my backpack is going in the OH bin if that's my only carry-on or my largest carry-on. My opinion is that you can check that roll-a-board, just as I did and that I should not have to sacrifice my (already limited) comfort for several hours so you can save 20 minutes at baggage claim.
I do the same, and I try to give others the benefit of the doubt that they're doing the same when I saw backpacks in the overheads. However, it does seem pretty common to witness F passengers putting two items in the OH because they think they're entitled to it or just don't care about the rules.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.