Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Delta Schedule Change Discussion Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 10, 2016, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
Delta rolls out schedule changes pretty much every Saturday, though the scope/impact can vary. During this time, seat maps may be locked out, may show the wrong aircraft layout, etc. while changes are occurring. If you are not traveling immediately, FT conventional wisdom is to wait until Sunday (or even Monday in the case of major schedule adjustments where things take longer) for things to settle down, then take stock of your upcoming itineraries to see what changes have occurred and what changes/refunds you may be entitled to.

You are entitled to a full refund to original form of payment, even for a ticket that was purchased as a non-refundable ticket, if any of the following occur as a result of schedule change:
  • departure or arrival delay of 2hrs or more
  • increase in the number of flight segments (non-stop to connecting, 1-stop to 2-stop, etc.)
  • change resulting in a connection below the Minimum Connection Time for a given airport (do a Google search for "site:flyertalk.com minimum connecting time XXX" with the airport code to find the relevant thread if one exists)
  • any change in operating carrier, i.e. operated by Delta mainline before the schedule change and Delta Connection after the change
    • it is also a commonly-held belief that a change from Delta Connection to mainline, or from one Delta Connection carrier to a different Delta Connection carrier, also qualifies for a full refund -- if anyone has documentation of this, a link would be great...

The airline would rather keep your money than refund it, so they will frequently accept any vaguely reasonable rerouting that you propose. This includes, by policy, changing origin and/or destination within 100 miles, rebooking +/- two days, and changing outbound/return date to keep the length of the trip the same post-rebooking.

If none of the above conditions for a refund is true, you may still be entitled to a free change -- in your trip summary there will be a notice about changes/refunds, and per the "conditions apply" popup link in that text:

If a Delta schedule or routing change has delayed your departure or arrival by more than one hour, you may be eligible to select an alternate flight at no additional charge. Note that the below conditions may apply:
  • Your origin, destination and travel date must remain the same
  • Alternate flights must be available, and you can only modify once as subsequent changes may result in additional fees
  • Voluntary changes to other flights not impacted by a Delta schedule change may result in additional fees
If possible, you may wish to try modifying your flights online first -- there have been data points where the site allowed a free rebooking even though it did not technically fall into the above categories. NOTE however that self-rebooking online is known not to work if you have (1) any trip involving upgrade certificates (whether cleared or not), (2) if you have self-upgraded by picking an upgraded seat that said FREE (instead of waiting for the automated upgrade system sweep to reseat you in an upgraded seat), this seems to inhibit self-rebooking as well.

Otherwise, suggested best practice is to research your preferred alternative rebooking beforehand (whether DL flight search, Google Flights, ITA Matrix etc.) so that you can speak with an agent already knowing what you want, and ask for it; this will be much more efficient than having an agent find alternatives for you.

Other notes/FAQs:
  • Even if you voluntarily choose a preferred rebooking, you have a high likelihood of success claiming Original Routing Credit since the original reason for the change was involuntary.
  • If you booked through a travel agency, including online travel agencies (OTA) such as Expedia, Chase Ultimate Rewards, etc. you will have to contact them, not Delta, to request rerouting if the automatic rebooking is not satisfactory to you.
    • There have been reports of an agency insisting that a change of 2 hours was required (per the "pro" site) for a free change, even though the popup on the DL site says 1 hour
    • You can sometimes get Delta to take over a travel agency ticket; this is subject to a $50 fee to take over the ticket, although sometimes agents decline to collect it
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Delta Schedule Change Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2016, 3:17 pm

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
Where are the Saturday changes? I need a change on my 6/29 return on AF (CPH-CDG-MSP-OKC) but the system let me down this time. It also appears that the AF pilot strike will not extend to let me rebook the return. Sigh.

This is a W fare upgraded with SM so the gap for the new D1 fare is out of reach.
Old Jun 11, 2016, 7:07 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
While schedule changes are somewhat common, significantly less than half of my itineraries undergo a large enough change to allow me to rebook. I take advantage when I can, but I'd never count on it.
Old Jun 12, 2016, 7:23 pm

I'm scheduled to fly SNN-JFK-XXX in October and it looks like DL eliminated SNN-JFK (DL206) on Wednesdays and Thursdays that month in last night's schedule changes. My fiance and I were bumped to a Friday flight without our connecting flight changing so I called DL today to see what our options are. The agent told us that we would have to pay the fare difference to change to DUB-JFK-XXX (over $400/person) and told me that rebooking on a partner carrier was impossible. Is this true? It seems like they should be able to do a little more since they're trying to change the dates of my trip. Any advice is appreciated!
Old Jun 12, 2016, 10:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by needcoffee
I'm scheduled to fly SNN-JFK-XXX in October and it looks like DL eliminated SNN-JFK (DL206) on Wednesdays and Thursdays that month in last night's schedule changes. My fiance and I were bumped to a Friday flight without our connecting flight changing so I called DL today to see what our options are. The agent told us that we would have to pay the fare difference to change to DUB-JFK-XXX (over $400/person) and told me that rebooking on a partner carrier was impossible. Is this true? It seems like they should be able to do a little more since they're trying to change the dates of my trip. Any advice is appreciated!
I assume rebooking on DL metal is easier for DL, but you should be able to get just about anything reasonable with no change fee.

Recently I had a partner cancel their segment of a multi-leg journey which meant my new departure was either 12 hours earlier or 12 hours later. I called in an DL placed me on their own metal at a better time (for me) and different origin city. No fees and relatively quick process.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 6:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by needcoffee
That is a major schedule change by Delta, you should not have to pay any change fee or increase in fare. Call up again and hopefully you will get a helpful agent who knows what they are doing. Sounds like the other one was trying to charge you for fixing their own schedule change that broke your itinerary.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
I owe them one. Had a 9 am flight out of MCO and was not thrilled about the "morning rush" with the kids. They moved the flight an hour earlier, so I called them and they put me on an 11 am instead.

Mike
Old Jun 13, 2016, 9:03 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, AA PLT, Hertz PC
Would the following scenario allow for one to make a schedule change:

Thursday night arrival at 11:25pm is pushed back an hour to an early Friday morning arrival of 12:25am.

Could one play the "I booked a ticket for a Thursday arrival and am now not arriving until Friday." Any rules that state one would be eligible for a free change?
Old Jun 13, 2016, 9:11 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by clr4t8koff
Would the following scenario allow for one to make a schedule change:

Thursday night arrival at 11:25pm is pushed back an hour to an early Friday morning arrival of 12:25am.

Could one play the "I booked a ticket for a Thursday arrival and am now not arriving until Friday." Any rules that state one would be eligible for a free change?
I would say that's enough of a change. It's a full hour, which seems like the minimum for most agents, and it's a different day (technically).
Old Jun 13, 2016, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Agree. Mine was exactly an hour and the T&C say "more than an hour," but the agent didn't blink.

Of course, it was also possible that she was intimidated by my mighty silver medallion status.

Mike
Old Jun 18, 2016, 1:33 pm

Programs: Delta - PM, HH - Gold, SPG - Gold, Marriott - Plat
I have an itinerary to Southeast Asia for next January that I got (award) a few months ago. Since I have a 747 segment in each direction I hope each weekend to get through without facing a problem.

Once again I have the dreaded "red" notice concerning a change and then the fact that it may cause me to miss a connection. However, for the 4th time all they have done is change the flight numbers. I've also had some slight time changes but no problems so far. Of course, until I accept the changes in the flight numbers, I can't change my seats (not that I want to).
Old Jun 18, 2016, 1:41 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by miraclebear2003
Once again I have the dreaded "red" notice concerning a change and then the fact that it may cause me to miss a connection. However, for the 4th time all they have done is change the flight numbers. I've also had some slight time changes but no problems so far. Of course, until I accept the changes in the flight numbers, I can't change my seats (not that I want to).
Accepting the change will just make the red go away. It does not take away any rights you might have to switch to a new itinerary or cancel without penalty (not that you have any such rights anyways if the only difference is flight numbers)
Old Jun 20, 2016, 7:28 am

Programs: DL GM, Hilton Silver, IHG Platinum
The dreaded almost but not quite enough schedule change. Flights are in August. Departure moved up 50 minutes, connection moved back 50 minutes. The arrival 50 minutes late also makes my arrival after midnight. There are several alternatives that would get me there earlier in the day.
How much of a fight am I going to have trying to get an agent to move me to an earlier flight? Should I go ahead and address this now when there's likely more space available or wait a few weeks and see if I get additional schedule changes that make for more than 1 hour on one flights?

Edit: I already tried changing on the website and the system would not allow it

Last edited by 3furballs; Jun 20, 2016 at 7:34 am
Old Jun 20, 2016, 7:50 am

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
You have nothing to lose by trying now, and it's certainly better to try now than to hope for another change. I'm not sure if you'll have success but you should play the "different day" card.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by 3furballs
The dreaded almost but not quite enough schedule change. Flights are in August. Departure moved up 50 minutes, connection moved back 50 minutes. The arrival 50 minutes late also makes my arrival after midnight. There are several alternatives that would get me there earlier in the day.
How much of a fight am I going to have trying to get an agent to move me to an earlier flight? Should I go ahead and address this now when there's likely more space available or wait a few weeks and see if I get additional schedule changes that make for more than 1 hour on one flights?

Edit: I already tried changing on the website and the system would not allow it
I'd call and ask for a chance now instead of waiting. Its unlikely to have more schedule changes for August now that we are nearing the end of June.

In your case while each flight change is under an hour, combined you're talking almost 2 hrs impact so it probably gives you a quite long connection. Just explain it that way that you would rather not have such a long connection and be arriving after midnight etc.
Old Jun 21, 2016, 9:00 am

Originally Posted by mnbp
Not clear from OP's post, but a point to note is that if any of these changes involves a change in operating carrier, even if the times are identical, and even if it was DL Connection operator 1 to DL Connection operator 2, you are entitled to a 100% refund - so DL is typically extra flexible in making changes you'd prefer.
I'm curious about this. I have a LEX-ATL-MCO and return booked for October, using a companion certificate. Received a schedule change notice yesterday indicating change on all 4 segments. Times are actually identical, but new flight numbers on all 4 segments. The LEX-ATL changed to ExpressJet.

Does this actually entitle me to a refund of the full itinerary, including the companion cert? And will that open the door to changing the whole itinerary?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.