Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Starting in 2016, Alaska Airlines Boardroom members lose Sky Club access

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Starting in 2016, Alaska Airlines Boardroom members lose Sky Club access

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2015, 2:42 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by beckoa
You didn't hear about the DL lounge opening in ANC?

Neither did I
I think I missed that news as well
Old Oct 22, 2015, 6:23 am

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
You didn't hear about the DL lounge opening in ANC?

Neither did I
It must be DL's latest "enhancement"... virtual lounges. You arrive at the airport, find a seat somewhere, and then pull up delta.com on your computer and experience a "360 Degree Immersion™ into a state of the art Delta Sky Club™ (offer valid for Delta 360™ and Full Fare Delta One™ passengers only).".
Old Oct 22, 2015, 10:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by SOBE ER DOC
I'm not sure I understand how this is a program devaluation when DL has lounges in every airport where AS has a lounge. Given the recent upgrades to to the SCs they're far better than AS lounges anyway. And, IMHO, AS flyers benefited more from this than DL flyers ever did. AS got 50 lounges, most in airports where AS does not have lounges and DL got 4 lounges in cities where they already have lounges.
Not true. There's no DL SC at ANC. The email only mentioned three of the four lounge locations, LAX, PDX, and SEA, but not ANC.

I would also disagree with your claim that the SCs are better. On the food side, AS BRs have the pancake machines and IME always some nice chunks of quite good real cheese, plus packages of nice crackers. The LAX BR is extremely nice; if I have time, I'll walk the tunnel round trip to use it rather than the SC in T5 unless I'm concerned about potential IROPs and want to be near DL agents.
Old Oct 22, 2015, 12:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Not true. There's no DL SC at ANC. The email only mentioned three of the four lounge locations, LAX, PDX, and SEA, but not ANC.

I would also disagree with your claim that the SCs are better. On the food side, AS BRs have the pancake machines and IME always some nice chunks of quite good real cheese, plus packages of nice crackers. The LAX BR is extremely nice; if I have time, I'll walk the tunnel round trip to use it rather than the SC in T5 unless I'm concerned about potential IROPs and want to be near DL agents.
Frankly I enjoy the Alaskan Brewing Company's taps ^
Old Oct 22, 2015, 2:38 pm

Programs: 4MM/DM, Marriott Lifetime PM, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by DL2SXM
This is no loss. Not having access to Alaska's mediocre BR's will be a thing of the past anyway since they really only were used at SEA and LAX. Both are slated to open 2nd lounges early next year. This is no lloss.
I don't know about you but the loss of ANC is huge. I didn't spend much time at the AS BR in SEA as it always depended on where the connecting flight left from but I'm going to miss the views from ANC.
Old Oct 22, 2015, 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by gator21
I don't know about you but the loss of ANC is huge. I didn't spend much time at the AS BR in SEA as it always depended on where the connecting flight left from but I'm going to miss the views from ANC.
I think you're in the vast minority. While it's never good to lose access anywhere, I can't imagine DL has a vast base of FF's in ANC. Adding to that even fewer that would regularly use the lounge as there are obviously no DL connections from ANC. Maybe a few people with their families waiting for their flight after getting off their cruise ship.
Old Oct 22, 2015, 2:43 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by gator21
Priority Pass will get you in if you have access to it through a credit card.
Old Oct 23, 2015, 2:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by kop84
I think you're in the vast minority. While it's never good to lose access anywhere, I can't imagine DL has a vast base of FF's in ANC. Adding to that even fewer that would regularly use the lounge as there are obviously no DL connections from ANC. Maybe a few people with their families waiting for their flight after getting off their cruise ship.
The irony is DL's been ramping up service to/from Alaska and ANC. This won't really help in DL's efforts in the market.
Old Oct 23, 2015, 3:16 am

Programs: DL Diamond
The irony is DL's been ramping up service to/from Alaska and ANC. This won't really help in DL's efforts in the market.
This is the problem! The days of a strong NWA/AS partnership are getting further and further away. DL depended on AS to feed west coast traffic to their international hubs at LAX, SEA and to some extent SFO and PDX in the past. But... DL has made a huge investment in SEA in the last few years, aggressively moving into AS' home base, at the same time UA, which basically ran hub service at SEA for decades, is all but nonexistant. The "partnership" is on increasingly thin ice as DL tries to service west coast routes/ANC + SEA<>SLC without AS assistance. The tension is building...

I second the comment about the Board Room at LAX. Connected there today, in and out from T6, and there would be no way to treck through that tunnel to (the overcrowded, lackluster) SkyClub in T5 and back in the hour I had. Board Room comes in handy.

Also, those out there with an Amex Platinum card can access BR with Priority Pass, which is a free perk and often very useful outside the US.
Old Oct 23, 2015, 3:22 am

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
Why is it when I read this thread I think of a statue of a little boy in the center of Brussels?
Old Oct 23, 2015, 6:35 am

Programs: DL Diamond, ANA Platinum
Does this include flyers who receive lounge access through means other than a SC membership, such as flying international as a GM/PM/DM?
Old Oct 23, 2015, 6:53 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by FireEmblemPride
Does this include flyers who receive lounge access through means other than a SC membership, such as flying international as a GM/PM/DM?
The Elite+ lounge access policies never applied to AS lounges that I am aware of.

In general, aside from the likely small number of DL fliers that routinely go to ANC, this will have only a very marginal impact. This is a much bigger loss for AS fliers.
Old Oct 23, 2015, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by FireEmblemPride
No. I was at the BR at LAX a few months ago and someone was connecting to a SYD flight on a J ticket (not sure of their status) and thought they had lounge access and the BR rep told them it didn't apply to the BR and they would have to go use the SC in T5. If someone is a diamond though they would still be able to access the BR right now since all skyclub members have access and diamond's get a SC membership
Old Oct 27, 2015, 7:20 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Good time to get an Amex Plat if you don't have one already. It comes with a Priority Pass membership which gets you BR Access even if you're not flying AS. I believe the Citi Prestige card does the same.
Old Oct 27, 2015, 7:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by kop84
Plus stranded passengers when DL TATL flights divert to ANC and there's a delay for mechanical or crew reasons. Hopefully very rare, but it would be extremely useful to have lounge access in such situations, assuming that passengers are allowed to deplane.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.