Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Seat Swapping, Seat Poaching and Seating Etiquette: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 14, 2015, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: BadgerBoi
The Definitive Guide to Seat Poaching

1. Don't do it.
2. Alternatively to #1: Asking politely (and not demanding) to swap for an equal or better seat is acceptable by most (but the final decision always lays with the original seat holder)...but, be warned, some FT'ers may breathe fire at you.
3. Keep in mind that Point 2 is not seat poaching.
Print Wikipost

Seat Swapping, Seat Poaching and Seating Etiquette: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2012, 10:28 am

Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, Marriott Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond
The a-hole was not in 4C.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 10:52 am

Programs: A few
Interesting dilema. I have on more than one occasion given up aisle to middle to accomodate someone. I've come to realize instantly after that this was a mistake. I regret it every time I switch.

My new years resolution is to have more cajones to say NO.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 11:59 am

Originally Posted by eyezon
Interesting dilema. I have on more than one occasion given up aisle to middle to accomodate someone. I've come to realize instantly after that this was a mistake. I regret it every time I switch.

My new years resolution is to have more cajones to say NO.
That's "cojones", eyezon. The citizens of El Cajon thank you.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by BHArt
Well, the mom called the guy an a-hole, not me. I know nobody has to switch seats, and we asked nicely, which we always do because we're polite and the baby didn't cry the whole flight, and I actually understand his trepidation about the baby but if anyone bothered to read the entire first post, he switched anyway. Yes, nobody wants to switch to a middle but that wasn't the case. I'm not an entitled PM, that's for DMs only thanks for the assumptions, but my wife and I don't see each other much since she travels for work very often and we interacted with each other plenty on the flight and we're very secure in our marriage and happen to love each other quite a bit. Thanks for piling on everyone. The root of the story was the comment from the mom, which is why I bolded it but I'm glad all the replies on here called me out making plenty of assumptions about me, my attitude, my marriage and the situation. A 14 hour overnight delay and 4 hours of sleep (or less for others) left most everyone on the flight in a crappy mood, glad it could be continued on here for trying to share something I thought was amusing. Nothing like the DL forum.

Unfortunately, it is the FT way, BHArt! Assume the OP is a whining complaining jerk, then recruit other FTers to pile on. You can pretty much count on it, sad to say. I enjoyed your story.

Last edited by Shena Nigans; Dec 14, 2012 at 12:27 pm
Old Dec 14, 2012, 12:13 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

You can also just accept your assigned seats and not bother others with your need to sit next to each other for a few hours... So yes, it started out as whining and continued, encouraged by others on the flight. Even making someone who just wanted to stay in his seat and not possibly be next to a crying baby, the a-hole..... Not really....
Old Dec 14, 2012, 12:26 pm

Programs: Delta TDK(or care)WIA, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by RTW1
You can also just accept your assigned seats and not bother others with your need to sit next to each other for a few hours... So yes, it started out as whining and continued, encouraged by others on the flight. Even making someone who just wanted to stay in his seat and not possibly be next to a crying baby, the a-hole..... Not really....
Should this thread be merged with the DYKWIA thread? It's true that most of the posters who tell DYKWIA stories tell them about others, not themselves, but...
Old Dec 14, 2012, 12:34 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by Carl Johnson
Should this thread be merged with the DYKWIA thread? It's true that most of the posters who tell DYKWIA stories tell them about others, not themselves, but...
No need for that. My guess is that it will soon be locked
Old Dec 14, 2012, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by fti
Angry that someone else wanted to keep their assigned seat? Trading seats is a privilege, not a right. To get "a lot angry" because a passenger doesn't want to trade seats is a bit over the top IMHO.
It depends. If someone wants me to switch to a worse seat, that's quite unlikely. If the seats are equal (e.g. move up one row, aisle to aisle) I see little reason not to.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 1:37 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by RTW1
It started as a request, then curiosity from another passenger, and he'd have only been one seat away from the baby anyway. And again SOMEONE ELSE called him that, which is what I found funny and why I shared. This is clearly lost on 80% of reply writers.

Last edited by BHArt; Dec 14, 2012 at 1:44 pm Reason: changed caps
Old Dec 14, 2012, 1:39 pm

Programs: DL PM
I hope this is locked, I clearly fell for troll bait.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 1:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL FO/KM, AA PLT
Originally Posted by Jump
I always get a chuckle when I hear a husband/wife near me ask for someone to switch seats so they can sit together and if the person agrees, the couple now sitting together proceed to ignore each other as they read a book or listen to music the entire flight.
It's funny but that's only part of it. When I need to get out of my seat to access the overhead bin or use the lav or just get up and walk around, I find it "easier" to do so when I know the person sitting next to me. It's also a lot easier to "share space" with someone you know. My fiance is 5'1. I'm 6'4 and don't fit very well in regular Y seats. When I sit next to her, she has no problem with me stretching into legroom so I'm a little more comfortable. I can't do that next to a stranger.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 1:49 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by fti
Angry that someone else wanted to keep their assigned seat? Trading seats is a privilege, not a right. To get "a lot angry" because a passenger doesn't want to trade seats is a bit over the top IMHO.
^ This thread is almost as creepy as the seat recline threads.

David
Old Dec 14, 2012, 1:54 pm

Why is someone else's lack of planning and preparation anyone else's problem?

The conversation should go something like this:

PAX 1: Would you mind switching seats.

PAX 2: Yes, I would mind.

PAX 1: Thank you anyways.

End of discussion. Attitude and doooshbaggery are not necessary.

If you have long legs, do not book a bulk head seat and then expect someone else to move. If you fly with a companion and want to sit together, buy seats together. If you are upgraded into any F seat, be thankful and certainly don't expect anyone to switch. If you have special needs, then plan for them. If you have carry on bags and have to sit in Y, expect that you will not have a place to stow your luggage. If you want seats together, purchase seats together. If you and a companion are playing the upgrade game and get upgraded, but are not sitting together, deal with it. If you have an aisle seat in Y and are upgraded to a window seat in F and really need to be in an aisle seat, then stay in Y; if you take the upgrade, don't expect someone to switch with you.

These are not difficult concepts to grasp.

Of late, the sense of entitlement in the air on some AC is stifling.

Last edited by DelrayChris; Dec 14, 2012 at 2:05 pm
Old Dec 14, 2012, 1:57 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
IBTL!
Old Dec 14, 2012, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
I think your line:
""Well, I don't want to sit next to an a**hole!" We all had a pretty good laugh...." (yes, we all know it was the woman with the baby that called him an a**hole).
makes your position very clear as to what you think of someone that will not swap seats with you stop whining about being troll bait. Looks like a self inflicted wound from where most of us are sitting.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.