Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Seat Swapping, Seat Poaching and Seating Etiquette: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 14, 2015, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: BadgerBoi
The Definitive Guide to Seat Poaching

1. Don't do it.
2. Alternatively to #1: Asking politely (and not demanding) to swap for an equal or better seat is acceptable by most (but the final decision always lays with the original seat holder)...but, be warned, some FT'ers may breathe fire at you.
3. Keep in mind that Point 2 is not seat poaching.
Print Wikipost

Seat Swapping, Seat Poaching and Seating Etiquette: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2012, 2:17 pm

Programs: Delta, Starwood, Hilton
Seat Switch Humor

I'm confused.Why does it make the guy an a- hole if he didn't at first want to sit next to a baby who might have been a crier. Would you want to sit next to a crying baby if you didn't have to?
Old Dec 13, 2012, 2:38 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by gungadin
I'm confused.Why does it make the guy an a- hole if he didn't at first want to sit next to a baby who might have been a crier. Would you want to sit next to a crying baby if you didn't have to?
More than that I am confused by this statement:

Originally Posted by BHArt
I was a lot angry but tried to stay cool.
Angry that someone else wanted to keep their assigned seat? Trading seats is a privilege, not a right. To get "a lot angry" because a passenger doesn't want to trade seats is a bit over the top IMHO.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 3:02 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Delta Platinum, Marriott Gold
I hate it when people pretty much demand that I switch seats with them because they are traveling with someone and I am not. I have said no before (especially when someone asked me to switch from my aisle to a middle so he and his girlfriend could sit together. Ummmm... no thank you.

My other favorite is when people don't ask me to switch seats, they say "you need to switch with me so we can sit together." Ummm... again no. I don't "need" to do anything for you.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 3:05 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by BHArt
...He looks back to see a mother with baby in 5D and gives me a "No, I'm staying here." I was a lot angry but tried to stay cool.
and then the mom (5D) also chimes in and says "Well, I don't want to sit next to an a**hole!" We all had a pretty good laugh and then after emerging from the lav, 4C changed his mind anyway and agreed to switch.
sorry bub, but you're the a-hole if you got "a lot angry" because someone didn't want to switch seats with you.
Cotumely likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 3:10 pm

Programs: United - PG, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by bludevil
I hate it when people pretty much demand that I switch seats with them because they are traveling with someone and I am not. I have said no before (especially when someone asked me to switch from my aisle to a middle so he and his girlfriend could sit together. Ummmm... no thank you.

My other favorite is when people don't ask me to switch seats, they say "you need to switch with me so we can sit together." Ummm... again no. I don't "need" to do anything for you.
I agree totally. For those who would like to ignore the process of an airline issuing seat assignments, there is a carrier that is more than happy to indulge them.

Last edited by houserulz77; Dec 13, 2012 at 3:24 pm Reason: typo
Old Dec 13, 2012, 3:20 pm

Programs: UA, AA, CO
Originally Posted by fti
More than that I am confused by this statement:

Angry that someone else wanted to keep their assigned seat? Trading seats is a privilege, not a right. To get "a lot angry" because a passenger doesn't want to trade seats is a bit over the top IMHO.
But he's a DL PM, he's entitled.
Cotumely likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 3:23 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM, MR LTT, Hilton D, Hertz PC. National Emerald Exec, UA Silver(thanks to Marriott)
Well this turned on the OP quickly

For what it's worth though, it does irk me when other PAX assume switching seats is OK as well as PAX who won't switch when I want to. I am so conflicted.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 3:37 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, AA EXP, UA Silver, former DL DM
I for one thought this was a funny story. Let's keep in mind that was the point of the OP's post, not to complain about Mr. 4C.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 3:45 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles Lifetime Silver, Delta MM, Lifetime Marriott Plat, Lifetime Hilton Honors Diamond
I always get a chuckle when I hear a husband/wife near me ask for someone to switch seats so they can sit together and if the person agrees, the couple now sitting together proceed to ignore each other as they read a book or listen to music the entire flight.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 3:56 pm

Programs: Delta:PM, Amex:DL Reserve, National Emerald Executive, Everything for every hotel chain EVER.
99% of the time I travel alone, the 1% of the time is with my wife and we don't always get seats next to each other in FC. I think of it as good Karma to swap seats when politely asked.

Dave
Old Dec 13, 2012, 5:21 pm

Programs: Delta, Starwood, Hilton
Seat Switch Humor

Next year my husband and I will celebrate our 50th anniversary . So you can assume that we have a pretty good marriage. Nevertheless we do not feel driven to sit together on every available opprtunity. Neither do we think that someone that dosn't make that possible is an a- hole.
we are pretty much secure in our marriage at this point. and we feel a bit sorry for those who aren't.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 8:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, HHonors Diamond, National
Mrs JMKSTL and I were in the bulkhead seats - each with the aisle because that is how we booked them. Another couple had the window seats and asked my wife to switch - she did so reluctantly and took the window. At the end of the flight the couple thanked us. My wife was gracious of course. I couldn't help myself though - I said that they shouldn't thank me because I wouldn't have switched! I know, but geez, the flight was only an hour anyway and the could not STAND to be apart for that long!!!
Old Dec 13, 2012, 8:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by bludevil

Thiiiiis x 100
Old Dec 13, 2012, 10:10 pm

Programs: DL PM
Well, the mom called the guy an a-hole, not me. I know nobody has to switch seats, and we asked nicely, which we always do because we're polite and the baby didn't cry the whole flight, and I actually understand his trepidation about the baby but if anyone bothered to read the entire first post, he switched anyway. Yes, nobody wants to switch to a middle but that wasn't the case. I'm not an entitled PM, that's for DMs only thanks for the assumptions, but my wife and I don't see each other much since she travels for work very often and we interacted with each other plenty on the flight and we're very secure in our marriage and happen to love each other quite a bit. Thanks for piling on everyone. The root of the story was the comment from the mom, which is why I bolded it but I'm glad all the replies on here called me out making plenty of assumptions about me, my attitude, my marriage and the situation. A 14 hour overnight delay and 4 hours of sleep (or less for others) left most everyone on the flight in a crappy mood, glad it could be continued on here for trying to share something I thought was amusing. Nothing like the DL forum.

Last edited by BHArt; Dec 13, 2012 at 10:16 pm
Old Dec 13, 2012, 10:28 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by edscholl
sorry bub, but you're the a-hole if you got "a lot angry" because someone didn't want to switch seats with you.
This was my emotion which I kept internalized, but thank you doctor for telling me how I should feel. And if you read my OP, I wasn't the one that called anyone any names.

Last edited by BHArt; Dec 13, 2012 at 10:51 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.