Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Seat Swapping, Seat Poaching and Seating Etiquette: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 14, 2015, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: BadgerBoi
The Definitive Guide to Seat Poaching

1. Don't do it.
2. Alternatively to #1: Asking politely (and not demanding) to swap for an equal or better seat is acceptable by most (but the final decision always lays with the original seat holder)...but, be warned, some FT'ers may breathe fire at you.
3. Keep in mind that Point 2 is not seat poaching.
Print Wikipost

Seat Swapping, Seat Poaching and Seating Etiquette: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2012, 10:19 pm

Programs: DL - DM, Charter KM; Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by andymo99
It's nice that you love each other so much, but a short flight apart won't kill you.
:-)
Old Jul 26, 2012, 10:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
On such i short flight i personally just find it tacky to ask someone to switch seats. I generally pick my specific seats with a reason in mind and that a couple cant sit together on a 2 hour flight rarely will change my mind.

But i do have a funny story on this vain. Apparently some guy was in the dog house with his wife for him ending up in first and her in coach. Long story short guy ended up giving me $400 cash to go take his wife's seat in the back ( it was between ORD and BOS) so fairly short flight so i took the offer. Probably the most amusing flight experience i've had.

I can only imagine how much his wife has cost him over the years if he had to pull stunts like this..lol
Old Jul 27, 2012, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by grahampros
On such i short flight i personally just find it tacky to ask someone to switch seats. I generally pick my specific seats with a reason in mind and that a couple cant sit together on a 2 hour flight rarely will change my mind.

But i do have a funny story on this vain. Apparently some guy was in the dog house with his wife for him ending up in first and her in coach. Long story short guy ended up giving me $400 cash to go take his wife's seat in the back ( it was between ORD and BOS) so fairly short flight so i took the offer. Probably the most amusing flight experience i've had.

I can only imagine how much his wife has cost him over the years if he had to pull stunts like this..lol
I would have also taken the $400, even if it was a back middle seat on a flight that short. The guy probably had to listen to his wife complain the entire flight as well

What I don't understand is that if a couple is travelling together and one upgrade clears and the other doesn't, they have no problems with one person riding in F and the other in Y and the upgraded person doesn't decline the upgrade. Yet when they both get upgraded, they insist on sitting together in F.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 7:27 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
I would have also taken the $400, even if it was a back middle seat on a flight that short. The guy probably had to listen to his wife complain the entire flight as well

What I don't understand is that if a couple is travelling together and one upgrade clears and the other doesn't, they have no problems with one person riding in F and the other in Y and the upgraded person doesn't decline the upgrade. Yet when they both get upgraded, they insist on sitting together in F.
Very true...

I generally fly solo and will only switch aisle to aisle.

If I travel with partner and we have not secured an easy trade(aisle/aisle) or(window/window), we don't even ask.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 7:35 am

Programs: DL DM PM
Originally Posted by grahampros
Yep.

I will actually offer to change if I notice part of a split couple or even workmates traveling together next to me, unless I'm working or otherwise ensconced when they get on, but I don't like being asked. It puts the person being asked in the uncomfortable position of saying "no" to a trivial request and feeling bad about themselves. Whatever the reason they choose not to move, it supersedes the asker's trivial desire to sit as a pair. Tacky is the exact right word.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Originally Posted by kipper
The difference is that I don't burden other passengers due to my preference for an aisle seat on the left side of the plane. If there isn't one, I'll deal with an aisle seat on the right side of the plane, in part because I can easily stand to stretch. If only window seats are left, then I'll take extra pain meds and deal with a window seat.

In the DL forum, discussion on moderation is permitted in a designated thread. Why can't the OP ask the mdoerators to lock the thread he started?
Why put yourself through that? It's really not a burden at all to ask someone to take a half step to the right instead of the left in order to sit. If you're okay with sitting in the right aisle seat anyway then there's no harm or burden in asking politely.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 10:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Ask nicely, and don't get upset if I say no please.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 11:58 pm

Offer either of your seats, then explain the situation. Always works in BE because its so spacious. Hardly ever do I have a problem. Worst comes to worst you can always trade with two people in economy so you can sit together... I am sure they would trade with you!
Old Jul 28, 2012, 7:07 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage Gold
As a bulkhead fan, I would never mind being asked to switch to a bulkhead seat. I have short legs, so legroom doesn't matter to me. I do however value my face room, which is why I like bulkhead seats.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 10:43 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
I was once sitting in F next to a woman who asked if I would mind switching seats with her older teenage daughter, who was sitting in the aisle seat across and one behind us. Of course, it wasn't an issue going from one aisle seat to another. But the teenage daughter said something like, "No, that's okay, I'm fine here." The mother sweetly pointed out that she was nice enough to pay an extra couple hundred for her daughter to sit in F so that they could be next to each other during the trip, and this was all the respect the daughter gave her. The daughter then sheepishly changed seats with me. Maybe you had to be there, but it was pretty funny.

Oddly enough, a couple weeks later, it happened again with a young man who declined sitting next to his mother by changing seats with me in F. His mother was a lovely woman and turned out to be a good seatmate - short conversation followed by little more than polite contact during the flight.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 1:44 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
Originally Posted by tkey75
Why put yourself through that? It's really not a burden at all to ask someone to take a half step to the right instead of the left in order to sit. If you're okay with sitting in the right aisle seat anyway then there's no harm or burden in asking politely.
+1 I fly a lot and have my seat preferences, but if you asked me politely and explained the situation, I would happily give you my left side aisle seat, even if it meant getting a window*

*Also, for the record, there are elite flyers (me, and I suspect a few others) who like window seats and find them all taken when they assign their seat, and would happily trade their aisle for a window.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 2:32 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Generally speaking I will always switch (if someone asks nicely and doesn't sit in my seat first), if it's an even trade: i.e aisle/aisle.

I've asked folks to trade to sit with a coworker, but again, it's always aisle/aisle or window/window. I'll also take the bulkheads on the A319/320...but never on the PMDL 757s...
Old Jul 28, 2012, 3:37 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA Platinum (Life), Emirates Gold,GHA Black
I fly a lot, and I don't remember DL having a 1st? Since I pay for BE, I probably wouldn't unless theres a smoking woman sitting in the seat next to the one they want me to swap with!
Old Jul 28, 2012, 4:31 pm

Programs: DL Plat, US Gold
Detroit was a mess last night, anyways, FNT-DTW-DCA, just missed my 5:30 connection that left just after 8PM, so I was confirmed first on the 9:30 that was later delayed until just before 11PM. Anyways, at the DCA flight gate I missed, the GA gave me seat 1B for the DCA flight at 9:30, so i went to sky club and asked if non bulkhead available, they said yes, 3C and 4B are available, I said I will take 3C. Upon boarding, a couple was already in 3D and 3C, the husband asked if I would mind taking 1B, the seat his wife had been upgraded too (or so he said) and my original seat. I stated, I would not have minded at all if they would have waited until I boarded, asked before they just took my seat and all would have been fine, but since its a short flight, fine. Well, come to find out, the wife was not even in 1st, but had seat 18 something and was just taking the first class seat, and just told me to take an empty seat in first at the time i boarded. After about a 5 minute conversation witht the FA, I was given 3C, the wife went back to 18, the husband went back to 18 and the guy who had the seat next to his wife came to first because they could not be seperated. This will be the last time I offer to switch seats for anyone under any circumstances, ever.
Old Jul 29, 2012, 12:23 am

Programs: DL PM/KM, AC *G, AS MVP-100K
Originally Posted by 122554
I fly a lot, and I don't remember DL having a 1st?
Say what?
I probably wouldn't unless theres a smoking woman sitting in the seat next to the one they want me to swap with!
Smoking is not allowed on any Delta flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.