Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Seat Swapping, Seat Poaching and Seating Etiquette: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 14, 2015, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: BadgerBoi
The Definitive Guide to Seat Poaching

1. Don't do it.
2. Alternatively to #1: Asking politely (and not demanding) to swap for an equal or better seat is acceptable by most (but the final decision always lays with the original seat holder)...but, be warned, some FT'ers may breathe fire at you.
3. Keep in mind that Point 2 is not seat poaching.
Print Wikipost

Seat Swapping, Seat Poaching and Seating Etiquette: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2012, 12:41 am

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
Originally Posted by CJKatl
I was once sitting in F next to a woman who asked if I would mind switching seats with her older teenage daughter, who was sitting in the aisle seat across and one behind us. Of course, it wasn't an issue going from one aisle seat to another. But the teenage daughter said something like, "No, that's okay, I'm fine here." The mother sweetly pointed out that she was nice enough to pay an extra couple hundred for her daughter to sit in F so that they could be next to each other during the trip, and this was all the respect the daughter gave her. The daughter then sheepishly changed seats with me. Maybe you had to be there, but it was pretty funny.

Oddly enough, a couple weeks later, it happened again with a young man who declined sitting next to his mother by changing seats with me in F. His mother was a lovely woman and turned out to be a good seatmate - short conversation followed by little more than polite contact during the flight.
LOL..one can understand not sitting next to your parents sometimes. It's called needing a break.
Old Jul 29, 2012, 5:39 am

Programs: DL DM, AA Platinum (Life), Emirates Gold,GHA Black
Originally Posted by SkyBuck
Say what?

Smoking is not allowed on any Delta flight.
Smoking=Hot, Beautiful, Sexy, Model material, etx..
Old Jul 29, 2012, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
offered without being asked

Today I was sat in aisle seat and wife of guy sat across the aisle and the husband asks me to let him pass to take his seat. I asked "Would you prefer to sit next to your wife?". The wife says, oh if you dont mind taht would be great. So I swapped. No big deal, still had an aisle seat. All were happy.
Old Jul 29, 2012, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by SamOF
*Also, for the record, there are elite flyers (me, and I suspect a few others) who like window seats and find them all taken when they assign their seat, and would happily trade their aisle for a window.
+1

Plenty of times my seat preference (aisle) is taken by the time I book or get upgraded. I'm not about to go ask someone to switch with me just so I can have my aisle, but it would sure make my day if they asked me to switch so they could sit next to a companion.

Last edited by javabytes; Jul 29, 2012 at 8:42 pm
Old Jul 29, 2012, 8:08 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by tkey75
Be sure to offer the better seat to your trader.
I AGREE ! Since I am usually in FC alone and in an isle seat I get this often.most of the time I will agree unless of course I am moving to a window seat, then I look at them and say I am full fare FC so I can have the seat I want. That usually shuts that down
Old Jul 29, 2012, 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
Today I was sat in aisle seat and wife of guy sat across the aisle and the husband asks me to let him pass to take his seat. I asked "Would you prefer to sit next to your wife?". The wife says, oh if you dont mind taht would be great. So I swapped. No big deal, still had an aisle seat. All were happy.
Are you sure about the husband?
Old Jul 30, 2012, 5:00 am

Originally Posted by fromYXU
Try to board first. Go to your seats and ask your seatmates as they board if they are willing to switch.

Do not sit in their seats and expect them to switch.

For a two hour flight I would likely switch. Longer flights I would prefer the aisle.
I have had this happen MANY times and it really pisses me off. I will always decline.

Of the few times I switched, I always had an issue - the persons seat I switched with was demoted (degraded) back down to coach since he was last to upgrade and an air marshal or seat was needed back (gate agent mistake). It was a mess getting my seat back because that person was saying he was entitled to that seat since we switched. I showed him my boarding ticket and said "Sorry, your seat was demoted, not mine". He actually thought I would leave FC and go to coach.

All in all, I choose my seats for a reason - two people can live 2-4 hours not seating next to each other. Exception is if it's for military traveling with family member or if someone is on their honeymoon or traveling with younger child.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 5:19 am

Programs: Flying Blue, easyJet Plus (!)
Originally Posted by MikeyZBT
Hello-

Just wondering opinions here... My wife and I both got upgraded on an upcoming ATL-LGA flight. However, we were both put in Windows, right behind each other. There are other seats still open in First, but they are all Window as well.
Ask politely, accept refusal gracefully and do not assume entitlement.

The latter is particularly important - anyone saying to me anything like "you need to swap seats so we can sit together" will be met with "no I don't, and no I won't".

FWIW, I would also say that the reason I book aisles on long haul is so I can get up and walk about as I don't tend to sleep, so in my case it would, however politely you asked, be on condition that you didn't mind me asking you to let me out when I want to, including waking you up or stepping over if necessary.

Neil
Old Jul 30, 2012, 5:40 am

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by pacer142

The latter is particularly important - anyone saying to me anything like "you need to swap seats so we can sit together" will be met with "no I don't, and no I won't".

FWIW, I would also say that the reason I book aisles on long haul is so I can get up and walk about as I don't tend to sleep, so in my case it would, however politely you asked, be on condition that you didn't mind me asking you to let me out when I want to, including waking you up or stepping over if necessary.

Neil
X2
Old Jul 30, 2012, 6:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by sbjnyc
Are you sure about the husband?
As I have a cute English accent, I am not so sure
Old Jul 30, 2012, 6:46 am

Programs: Now just a lowly DL PM/1MM. This industry needs some competition. It's just not enjoyable anymore.
Originally Posted by pacer142
Agree 100%. Or, just sit in the seat you were assigned.....
Old Jul 30, 2012, 3:33 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Taj Silver
Originally Posted by Bloodshot2k
Grab the seats you want. Look mean, angry and tough. Dont say a word, give that person a cold hard stare until he/she walks away.
Sheeeyeah, right. That'll work.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 3:48 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hilton Dia, Avis Pres Club
Recently I was on an EMB 170/175 and in 1C, my favorite seat. Near the end of boarding 2 people come one and on took 1D (I know it was available since I asked the GA) and took 2A. The guy asked me if I would switch so he could sit next to his fiancée and I politely declined since I chose the seat for the extra legroom on the 2 ½ hour flight and I don’t like sitting on that side of the plane. With other re-arranging and taking unoccupied 2C they sat together in 2C&D. When the passenger came for 2C the guy asked him if he would sit in 1D since the guy in 1C would not switch with him.

Throughout the entire flight he kicked the seat, and kept on pulling himself up by my seat back. While annoying it was funny to see a 50 year old man act like a baby to impress his 20 something bimbo fiancée.

Even if he was nicer when he asked I don't think I would have switched since I thought it was for an inferior seat
Old Jul 30, 2012, 3:54 pm

i like the line "Would you like a window seat"? It is easier to say no graciously. Remember when you ask somebody to switch seats so you can sit with your wife, a lot of people would really rather you not bother them with your request.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 1:29 pm

Programs: DL PM
Seat Switch Humor

I thought I'd share this tale with everyone. Flew back from a much maligned OGG-LAX flight that took off 14 hours late due to MX and was a cancellation. Mrs. BHart and I were originally seated together and had both used miles to UG, agent couldn't get us seated together on the new flight since it was now a total mess with the previous cancellation. She had 5C, I had 6D and the check in agent said again, no seats, but she had 4D available, I took that figuring I'd have more leverage negotiating from a full recline seat, and with us splitting window/aisle respectively it would just be a 1 row change for someone.
We all start boarding, 4C is right in front of me, before he even gets situated, I ask if he wouldn't mind changing. He looks back to see a mother with baby in 5D and gives me a "No, I'm staying here." I was a lot angry but tried to stay cool. After some PDB dispensing, Mr. 4C gets up to go the the lav and my wife keeps eying 6D to see if maybe that seat will stay vacant, then 6C pipes up after the looks "Is there a problem?". Wife explains what's going on, and 6C suggests the mother and baby move, which would then force Mr. 4C to sit next to the baby anyway. Even the mom in 5D laughs at the thought and said the baby slept the whole flight out anyway. We figured asking her/them to move was a major inconvenience already which is why we didn't bother asking them and then the mom (5D) also chimes in and says "Well, I don't want to sit next to an a**hole!" We all had a pretty good laugh and then after emerging from the lav, 4C changed his mind anyway and agreed to switch. His good deed was rewarded with a thank you, and the baby true to her nature slept the whole flight anyway so it all worked out, and with a good laugh to boot.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.