Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Flight Attendants File For Union...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2015, 11:00 am
Original Poster

I just found out about an hour ago, that the FAs filed with the NMB.

Fly Safe!

NWA FA
Old Jan 13, 2015, 11:06 am

Programs: AA EXP, United PS, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Amtrak
Great. We'll see the lapel pins for awhile before it is shot down again.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 11:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Not again!
Old Jan 13, 2015, 11:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Not again!
The last union vote was missed by 167 votes. We'll see what happens. I do know, even if the FAs do vote no again, there are FAs who will start organizing again after a year has passed.

NWA FA

Fly Safe!
Old Jan 13, 2015, 11:17 am

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
Here's one story. Supposedly they got 12,000 cards. Will be interesting to see how the vote goes.

http://www.thestreet.com/story/13009...-election.html
Old Jan 13, 2015, 11:20 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
I had a feeling something was starting again. It was a light load on my flight home to MCO Saturday night and a couple of nonrevs cleared into F. One was a flight attendant with an anti-union luggage tag. I smiled and thanked her for her efforts for trying to keep good customer service at Delta.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 11:55 am

Programs: AA, SPG GLD, DL FO, VX, UA, US, ICH, Hyatt, Avis Pref.
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
One was a flight attendant with an anti-union luggage tag. I smiled and thanked her for her efforts for trying to keep good customer service at Delta.
Delta's pilots and flight dispatchers are unionized; despite this, Delta runs one of the best legacy operations out there. I'm completely indifferent. I've had both great and terrible service from union and non-union employees.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 11:59 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by bstndance
Delta's pilots and flight dispatchers are unionized; despite this, Delta runs one of the best legacy operations out there. I'm completely indifferent. I've had both great and terrible service from union and non-union employees.
Yes, but those are not customer service positions. Although I do think it is ridiculous that pilots consider themselves to be professionals yet choose to take up with labor unions.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 12:10 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by bstndance
Color me indifferent as well. If they choose a union as the best way to secure their pay and career gains, more power to them. But I expect consistent, good customer service no matter what choice they make.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 12:18 pm

Programs: DL DM 1MM; Marriott Titanium
This is the full IAM statement.

Note it says: "An election victory for the more than 20,000 Flight Attendants at Delta would be the largest ever transportation sector organizing win..." (emphasis added)
Old Jan 13, 2015, 12:23 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by mspflier
This is the full IAM statement.

Note it says: "An election victory for the more than 20,000 Flight Attendants at Delta would be the largest ever transportation sector organizing win..." (emphasis added)
Does this mean than 12,000 signed cards are already a majority? So if everyone who signed a card votes for the union, the union necessarily wins?
Old Jan 13, 2015, 12:33 pm

It's in the FA's best interest to keep having the vote. DL typically increases pay and benefits everytime this comes up.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by motytrah
It's in the FA's best interest to keep having the vote. DL typically increases pay and benefits everytime this comes up.
If it's close, the outcome almost depends on whether a few people on each side don't vote. The union gets a new random draw each year until they get "lucky", but once the FAs have a union, it could be hard to get rid of it even if people aren't happy with the situation.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 12:47 pm
Original Poster

Does this mean than 12,000 signed cards are already a majority? So if everyone who signed a card votes for the union, the union necessarily wins?
12,000 "hard copy card" signatures have been turned in. 60%

Now there is going to be an investigation by the NMB. They'll compare the signatures with an employee list (No managers) provided by Delta. The winning vote will be 50% +1.

NWA FA

Fly Safe!
Old Jan 13, 2015, 12:53 pm
Suspended

If it's close, the outcome almost depends on whether a few people on each side don't vote. The union gets a new random draw each year until they get "lucky", but once the FAs have a union, it could be hard to get rid of it even if people aren't happy with the situation.
You are exactly right. It is basically impossible to remove a union once they are brought in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.