Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Flight Attendants File For Union...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Flight Attendants File For Union...

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2015, 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR
I thought PMDL paid better than PMNW.
Not when the merger was first announced. The PMNW FA, even running under a contract that was imposed by the bankruptcy court, made more than PMDL FAs. DL quickly increased wages for the PMDL employees once the unions started making the rounds south of the Mason Dixon.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 2:36 pm
BFG

Programs: SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by sleuth
Interesting story, but the last line in this paragraph wasn't included in your first. Unfortunately I can't read minds. If you scroll up, you'll see a post where I acknowledged not all 12k are actually yes votes. So I already put that out there. I'd suggest not calling new hires lemmings or victims of bullying.
Since I wrote "don't be fooled by the amount of cards signed" before giving a few examples of why people shouldn't read it as 12,000 yes votes i thought I was setting up my comments nicely, I guess you didn't make that leap eh?

Some people have admittedly been naive. Please stop putting words in my mouth. I am not calling anyone lemmings. As far as calling people victims of bullying I can say that is happening at every seniority level.

My examples are just that examples of why 12,000 signatures are not 12,000 yes votes. I suppose those names are coming to your mind because that's what your opinion of people that have been naive is?? That's a rhetorical question.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 2:52 pm

Programs: United - PG, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
Although I do think it is ridiculous that pilots consider themselves to be professionals yet choose to take up with labor unions.
Couldn't agree more.

Originally Posted by jdrtravel
I don't see the connection. There are plenty of "professional" jobs that are also unionized (doctors and university professors for example). While I don't think unions are always amazing, I can understand the principle of wanting to engage the company as an organized group when the scale is so large.
Be that as it may, the mission of a union is antithetical to the notion of a "profession."

Originally Posted by jdrtravel

"According to the 2006 edition of the Directory of Faculty Contracts and Bargaining Agents in Institutions of Higher Education, approximately 320,000 faculty members are represented by a recognized collective bargaining agent. These organized faculty members are broken into 575 separate bargaining units and are distributed across 491 institutions of higher education with 1,125 campuses."
I am employed as a faculty member at an institution represented by a "union." We do have collective bargaining, but negotiate our own salaries.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
The source you quote talks about unionization of "faculty members", not specifically professors. I don't doubt that there are places where instructors/lecturers are unionized or even teaching assistants are unionized (although TAs probably would be classified as part-time graduate student employees rather than faculty on most campuses), but such people are not professors.
The CBA covers all faculty, including tenured and tenure-track faculty.

Having researched this very topic, specifically as it relates to teachers, I can state with some authority that professionals generally control their own knowledge base, design and administer their own education program and have responsibility for credentialing and regulation (usually with the blessing of government agencies). Professions also generally offer an explicit public service and enjoy "status" in one or more ways.

I bold credentialing and regulation because those two critical components of professions cannot coexist with a union.

Unions retain existing members at all costs, and favor barriers to admission into the workforce based on the need to protect existing members rather then for the greater good.

In a strict sense, a profession (and its professionals) cannot be represented by a union.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 3:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by houserulz77
Couldn't agree more.

Be that as it may, the mission of a union is antithetical to the notion of a "profession."

I am employed as a faculty member at an institution represented by a "union." We do have collective bargaining, but negotiate our own salaries.

The CBA covers all faculty, including tenured and tenure-track faculty.

Having researched this very topic, specifically as it relates to teachers, I can state with some authority that professionals generally control their own knowledge base, design and administer their own education program and have responsibility for credentialing and regulation (usually with the blessing of government agencies). Professions also generally offer an explicit public service and enjoy "status" in one or more ways.

I bold credentialing and regulation because those two critical components of professions cannot coexist with a union.

Unions retain existing members at all costs, and favor barriers to admission into the workforce based on the need to protect existing members rather then for the greater good.

In a strict sense, a profession (and its professionals) cannot be represented by a union.
I wasn't trying to say that some professors weren't included here--in fact, I named Rutgers and the SUNY system in my earlier post--but my point is that the category of faculty members includes many employees who aren't assistant professors, associate professors, or full professors (i.e., the definition of tenured and tenure-track faculty in most universities). For all we know from the quote containing the list, some of these educational institutions could have unionized instructors and lecturers (or possibly even unionized TAs but they wouldn't be considered faculty members in most places) but not unionized professors.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 3:11 pm

I wasn't trying to say that some professors weren't included here--in fact, I named Rutgers and the SUNY system in my earlier post--but my point is that the category of faculty members includes many employees who aren't assistant professors, associate professors, or full professors (i.e., the definition of tenured and tenure-track faculty in most universities). For all we know from the quote containing the list, some of these educational institutions could have unionized instructors and lecturers (or possibly even unionized TAs but they wouldn't be considered faculty members in most places) but not unionized professors.
Understood.

I do think your premise, that most academics and medical doctors are not represented by unions is correct. Further, to the extent that there are exceptions, these exceptions are, IMO, unfortunate. In my case I am one of over 1200 faculty, the overwhelming majority of us have a doctoral degree of some sort. You would think we would be able to represent our collective interests via means other than collective bargaining.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 3:27 pm

Programs: DL (ex-NW) Plat pining for self-serve WC's and real cheese
Then how do you square the highly regulated airline industry with respect to the pilot's union? How about professional athletes - their unions have in recent years agreed to all sorts of regulation, from salary caps to mandatory drug testing.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by DCAflyer81
Then how do you square the highly regulated airline industry with respect to the pilot's union? How about professional athletes - their unions have in recent years agreed to all sorts of regulation, from salary caps to mandatory drug testing.
Professional athletes are not professionals. When I mentioned regulation, I'm talking about regulations related to acceptable standards of professional conduct. So drug testing would fall into that category, but not when its a concession.

Pilot's meet a lot of the criteria of a profession (esoteric knowledge; training provided by other pilots; explicit criteria to enter the profession, much of which I'm sure is developed by pilots; public service, in the sense that profit isn't considered over the greater good; status, based on public perception and wages). Pilots and teachers are actually a good parallel. Both occupations have a lot of the characteristics of professions, but in both cases, stability and advancement is largely a factor of seniority, something that unions perpetuate.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 4:04 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Professional athletes are not professionals. When I mentioned regulation, I'm talking about regulations related to acceptable standards of professional conduct. So drug testing would fall into that category, but not when its a concession.

Pilot's meet a lot of the criteria of a profession (esoteric knowledge; training provided by other pilots; explicit criteria to enter the profession, much of which I'm sure is developed by pilots; public service, in the sense that profit isn't considered over the greater good; status, based on public perception and wages). Pilots and teachers are actually a good parallel. Both occupations have a lot of the characteristics of professions, but in both cases, stability and advancement is largely a factor of seniority, something that unions perpetuate.
What about skilled labor? Is an electrician or plumber a professional? What about a public school teacher? Merriam Webster defines profession as "a type of job that requires special education, training, or skill" which I think would include all of the jobs being discussed here (pilot, university professor, skilled labor).

Are you saying that there is a clear defined difference between, for example, profession and trade?
Old Jan 13, 2015, 4:05 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by pbarnette
Fair enough.

FWIW, I'd actually argue that pilots have unions because they aren't, in reality, terribly skilled.
Did I call it or what?
Old Jan 13, 2015, 4:08 pm

Programs: Delta TDK(or care)WIA, Hilton Diamond
No it isn't.

Yeah they can.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
I also wouldn't categorize some of these institutions as universities, even though they might have the word university in their titles. Many of these campuses are what used to be called state teachers' colleges (PA, NJ, MN, and CA state systems, Kent State, Cleveland State, Chicago State, Portland State, and the "directional" places in Michigan, Illinois, and Washington).
Seriously? You questioning university status based upon union membership. Kent State, for example, while originally a teachers college has 11 colleges representing a diverse set of educational goals. They have also 30,000 students at the Kent, Ohio campus and 7 satellite campus locations. Central Michigan has 28,000 students in 8 different colleges. Eastern and Western are somewhat similar.

I don't disagree with your premise either but to question the university status of these institutions is ridiculous.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 4:14 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite, AA Platinum Pro, Hertz Presidents
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
Did you bother to read my post where I gave my reasoning for disliking unions? Unions infringe on the rights of the individual and there is no refuting that.
Actually, unions do the opposite.
I could list a cornucopia of things you enjoy as a result of unions fighting the good fight.
You're welcome

I'm certain FT mods are not interested in turning this thread or any not in OMNI into a union debate. That was the point of my post.
Save your anti-Union rhetoric for Rush or or O'Reilly.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by Carl Johnson
No it isn't.
Let me give you an example: regulations around rest periods and flying limits for pilots.

most of these are supported by unions, because while they can bee seen as safety-related to the flying public, they are also a protection for workers.

Now suppose an airline decides that in an effort to maximize rest time, commuting by plane to work will be ended. That is to say pilots have to live in proximity to their crew base. Makes sense, pilots can wake up in their own bed and go to work, not have to worry about flying into work and then sitting around in the crew room, etc. What do you think the union response would be? The union would be opposed for the sole reason that the rule could adversely impact pilots personally/economically.

I don't have a problem with unions per se, but what unions are supposed to do is not congruent with what a profession is supposed to be.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 4:21 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite, AA Platinum Pro, Hertz Presidents
Originally Posted by jeff191
Ouch.

With the drop in union membership overall, I can see why union supporters are so vocal these days. The company I work for has quite a few unions, but the majority is non union. Their strategy is basically to keep the non union pay/benefits/policies generous enough that joining a union doesn't make sense. Ironically that means that in many instances, what the union bargained for is less than what non union employees get. In my limited experience, it seems some unions don't necessarily bargain for what's best. They just bargain for something that's not worse than they have, that's the biggest sticking point, they want to keep whatever they have even if there might be a better option out there.
You do realize you just gave credit to unions don't you? Company keeping pay and bennies good enough so employees won't go to union.
I'd say those employees ought to be bowing to the unions for their good pay if I'm to believe what you've posted.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 4:23 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by scottsam66
Actually, unions do the opposite.
I could list a cornucopia of things you enjoy as a result of unions fighting the good fight.
You're welcome

I'm certain FT mods are not interested in turning this thread or any not in OMNI into a union debate. That was the point of my post.
Save your anti-Union rhetoric for Rush or or O'Reilly.

Wow...interesting bedfellows. I have never read posts by readywhenyouare and so wholeheartedly agreed with what was being said.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.