Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Flight Attendants File For Union...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Flight Attendants File For Union...

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2015, 9:25 pm

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If it's close, the outcome almost depends on whether a few people on each side don't vote. The union gets a new random draw each year until they get "lucky", but once the FAs have a union, it could be hard to get rid of it even if people aren't happy with the situation.
Not only is it hard, under the Railway Labor Act, you can only replace a union with another collective bargaining agent there is no protocol to decertify like under the National Labor Relations Act. Unless there is a future merger or other event to trigger a vote DL workers will be stuck with the IAM indefinitely.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 9:34 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by bstndance
Delta's pilots and flight dispatchers are unionized; despite this, Delta runs one of the best legacy operations out there.
Yup, Delta runs one of the top three legacy operations in the US.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 9:35 pm

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
If I can remember back to my aviation legislation class I believe that the RLA trumps right to work laws. Union dues must be collected from all employees operating under the RLA. Disgusting.
RLA requires a closed shop-basically you have to join the union to keep your job.

You can however become what is called a dues objector and pay an agency fee (often 80-95% of the dues amount) which is the expenses considered "germane" to negotiating and enforcing the CBA. However by becoming a dues objector one forgoes their rights to vote on contract ratification and Union officer elections. The union must by law represent the objector at the same capacity they would a full member against any grievance with the company but of course there are negative social and professional implications with taking this path. Bottom line is union membership/payment of dues is for all intents and purposes mandatory.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 10:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by dieuwer2
Quote:

Originally Posted by BFG

The IAM made a video about going to the employees homes. The people in the video talked about how organizing Delta would be good for the IAM. They barely mentioned that it would be good for the FAs. They couldn't care less.

Exactly.
Unions are basically terrorist organizations: join us or else! Black mailing employers: give us X or else!
Sort of like the republicans.

IBTL
Old Jan 13, 2015, 10:01 pm

It's certainly surprising to see how many of you support legalized extortion. There's also the micromanagement factor. You'll have to take up your grievances with a union leader who will then maybe go and talk to a manager and you may or may not get a resolution. I prefer to dial direct. Oh and don't forget the little things like being told who you should vote for during election time. What's not to love?
The argument would hold more weight if DL FAs actually made more than most Unionized FAs.

As far as the grievances you need to keep in mind these are rank and file employees. HR at most companies is not there to protect employees. It's there to carry out the will of management in a way that won't get them sued. You want to be the squeaky wheel? You better be prepared to the unemployment line.

There was a high profile firing in MSP a couple months ago when a veteran DL ground worker spoke out on wages. It irked employees enough that it created protests.

There's a reason why almost every Pilot group has representation. Imagine you were a pilot and you responded to an FAA request for comment on flight hour time outs. That's on public record and you're an at-will employee. One could be very easily fired for sharing an opinion that doesn't tow the company line.

That ground ops guy made the mistake of thinking he could speak his mind like the old days. That's a luxury only the unionized pilots at DL have.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 10:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by motytrah
The argument would hold more weight if DL FAs actually made more than most Unionized FAs.

As far as the grievances you need to keep in mind these are rank and file employees. HR at most companies is not there to protect employees. It's there to carry out the will of management in a way that won't get them sued. You want to be the squeaky wheel? You better be prepared to the unemployment line.

There was a high profile firing in MSP a couple months ago when a veteran DL ground worker spoke out on wages. It irked employees enough that it created protests.

There's a reason why almost every Pilot group has representation. Imagine you were a pilot and you responded to an FAA request for comment on flight hour time outs. That's on public record and you're an at-will employee. One could be very easily fired for sharing an opinion that doesn't tow the company line.

That ground ops guy made the mistake of thinking he could speak his mind like the old days. That's a luxury only the unionized pilots at DL have.
If I were to publicly bash my employer I wouldn't expect my job to be there the next day. For me that's not a hard concept to grasp.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 10:40 pm

Programs: Marriott/SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
It's certainly surprising to see how many of you support legalized extortion.
Extortion? I suppose nearly anything one doesn't like is "legalized extortion".

Because extortion is BAD. And if I put "legalized" in front of it, it means it's still bad, but someone foolishly decided to allow it. Great game, you can apply it to just about anything.

Marriage is legalized prostitution. Therefore nobody should get married.

Last edited by ElPresidente; Jan 13, 2015 at 10:45 pm
Old Jan 13, 2015, 10:45 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ElPresidente
Extortion? I suppose nearly anything one doesn't like is "legalized extortion".

Feel free to not go to an AMA doctor. That according to some people is "legalized extortion". I'm sure Bob down on the corner can take out your gall bladder just fine!
Yes, forcing me to pay union dues that I want no part of is a form of legalized extortion in my opinion.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 10:56 pm

Programs: Marriott/SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Yes, forcing me to pay union dues that I want no part of is a form of legalized extortion in my opinion.
I dislike paying taxes, used to build weapons that kill people. Yet, I pay them.

Life is filled with compromises, well for normal people.

Are you a Delta FA?
Old Jan 13, 2015, 10:58 pm

Programs: AS, DL, UA, Hyatt, SPG
Airlines are a complex animal, and due to the divergent nature of the workforce being spread over the country, and being in the air much of the time, one doesn't have the same interaction with management or your co-workers that one might in a more traditional land based environment. Unions - when they work sensibly with airline management - can actually be a force for good and positively assist a company in communicating planned changes, negotiating renewals of contracts, etc with a workforce that you can't just convene together on a conference call or townhall.

It's also an industry with constant change. Routes come and go, aircraft types get moved around, crew base requirements change. Times are good for airlines right now, but who knows what the future will bring. The old adage about the best way to become a millionaire in the airline business is to start out as a billionaire might be tongue in cheek, but one doesn't have to look too far back to see the books of airlines bleeding red.

If the FA community feels that a union will give them better representation, then they will vote accordingly.

I wish the DL FA's all the best - whatever decision the (majority) of them make.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 11:10 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ElPresidente
I dislike paying taxes, used to build weapons that kill people. Yet, I pay them.

Life is filled with compromises, well for normal people.

Are you a Delta FA?
No I am not but my feelings apply to any union. A friend of the family was a police officer and her union threw her under the bus in a heartbeat after years of paying union dues. Yes, management can shaft you but at least you aren't paying for it. It's cute that you think the union is there to protect the little guy. I encourage you to research the salaries of top union officials. They make just as much as anyone in corporate management yet no one seems to mind.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 11:30 pm

Programs: DL PM/MM, Hilton Silver, SPG+, Hertz PC
But you are not forced to work for Delta !
Old Jan 13, 2015, 11:38 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by thesaints
You are correct, no one is forced to work at Delta. I hope you hold the same views for the pro-union employees if they lose.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 12:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by thesaints
The point is that with a union, the FAs would be forced to pay a fee every pay period that goes to a third party in order to continue to work for DL.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 12:24 am

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
The point is that with a union, the FAs would be forced to pay a fee every pay period that goes to a third party in order to continue to work for DL.
A fee for grievance procedures, possibly improved wages, and potentially better working conditions. Union fee squander is not a predetermined fate despite anecdotal evidence. It does suck that it's not optional, but representation is universal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.