Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Flight Attendants File For Union...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Flight Attendants File For Union...

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2015, 2:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by jeff191
Georgia is a right to work state, but how does that apply when the workforce is nationwide?
If I can remember back to my aviation legislation class I believe that the RLA trumps right to work laws. Union dues must be collected from all employees operating under the RLA. Disgusting.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 2:03 pm
BFG

Programs: SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR
I was wondering the same thing.

As for unionization, I have no problem with it for private industry. But, I just don't see why after being rejected a few years ago, why is there a push to do it again?
Because some of them miss their cushy union jobs, have had to take pay cuts and actually work as a flight attendant??
Old Jan 13, 2015, 2:04 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
If I can remember back to my aviation legislation class I believe that the RLA trumps right to work laws. Union dues must be collected from all employees operating under the RLA. Disgusting.
According to SCOTUS, as a private employee you cannot be forced to pay union dues: http://www.wsj.com/articles/supreme-...ees-1404138001
Old Jan 13, 2015, 2:05 pm
BFG

It's true. Airlines employee do not benefit from the Right to Work laws,
Old Jan 13, 2015, 2:13 pm
BFG

[QUOTE=dieuwer2;24160411]According to SCOTUS, as a private employee you cannot be forced to pay union dues: http://www.wsj.com/articles/supreme-...ees-1404138001[/

Since airlines fall under the RLA they cannot refrain from paying dues. They are required to pay at least a portion of the dues known as an Agency Fee
Old Jan 13, 2015, 2:14 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by BFG
Because some of them miss their cushy union jobs, have had to take pay cuts and actually work as a flight attendant??
I thought PMDL paid better than PMNW.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 2:15 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by BFG
Originally Posted by dieuwer2
According to SCOTUS, as a private employee you cannot be forced to pay union dues: http://www.wsj.com/articles/supreme-...ees-1404138001
Since airlines fall under the RLA they cannot refrain from paying dues. They are required to pay at least a portion of the dues known as an Agency Fee
No. SCOTUS trumps the RLA.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR
I thought PMDL paid better than PMNW.
It did, on an hourly rate basis.

http://news.delta.com/index.php?s=20295&item=123817
Old Jan 13, 2015, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still PAL Premier Elite & Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If it's close, the outcome almost depends on whether a few people on each side don't vote. The union gets a new random draw each year until they get "lucky", but once the FAs have a union, it could be hard to get rid of it even if people aren't happy with the situation.
Not that hard, the NW FA's replaced their union a couple times.

However, it did not work out well for them in the end.

I believe the NW mechanics also changed unions; that really backfired.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 2:22 pm

Ouch.

With the drop in union membership overall, I can see why union supporters are so vocal these days. The company I work for has quite a few unions, but the majority is non union. Their strategy is basically to keep the non union pay/benefits/policies generous enough that joining a union doesn't make sense. Ironically that means that in many instances, what the union bargained for is less than what non union employees get. In my limited experience, it seems some unions don't necessarily bargain for what's best. They just bargain for something that's not worse than they have, that's the biggest sticking point, they want to keep whatever they have even if there might be a better option out there.

Old Jan 13, 2015, 2:26 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by pbarnette
To put that in perspective, that is only around 20% of college professors. Certainly, some professors are in unions, but I would disagree with your characterization of the profession as being unionized when only a minority are in one.
I was just trying to cite examples of industries where there are "professionals" in a union, my intention was not to imply that the whole industry or field is unionized. My point is that pilots are not alone in being higher wage earning/high skilled professionals that are also sometimes in a union (and now I'm waiting for you bus driver references). Also, given how badly unions are doing, I would say 20% is a rather high number.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 2:28 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
There are some duplicates on your list, such as Rutgers and the SUNY system.
I thought Rutgers was in New Jersey, not New York.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 2:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
I was just trying to cite examples of industries where there are "professionals" in a union, my intention was not to imply that the whole industry or field is unionized. My point is that pilots are not alone in being higher wage earning/high skilled professionals that are also sometimes in a union (and now I'm waiting for you bus driver references). Also, given how badly unions are doing, I would say 20% is a rather high number.
However, the source quoted in this thread was for "faculty members" not professors. The words aren't interchangeable.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 2:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by vbjd1111
I thought Rutgers was in New Jersey, not New York.
Rutgers is in NJ, but Rutgers is listed twice, near the top of the list and again at the bottom.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 2:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Fair enough.

FWIW, I'd actually argue that pilots have unions because they aren't, in reality, terribly skilled.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.