Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

New Delta Award Redemption Charts Released

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 6, 2014, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TheBOSman
Direct link at Delta.com: http://www.delta.com/content/dam/delta-www/skymiles/2015-program/2015SMP-award.pdf
Print Wikipost

New Delta Award Redemption Charts Released

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2014, 10:10 am

Programs: Delta Dirt Medallion,AA,USairways, WN Rapid Rewards, National Emerald Club
If 3 then 5, What the heck?

Jeff Robertson on "Having Three Redemption Tiers Instead of Two"

- "We felt like introducing 40,000 and 60,000 is the right solution. Really, 40,000 miles is becoming popular."

LOL

http://boardingarea.com/viewfromthew...han-its-peers/
Old Mar 8, 2014, 11:45 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by GUWonder
The "broken" award calendar is going to remain a convoluted mechanism beyond the 1st of January 2015.
Since you can see the future, can you share with us who will win the Superbowl in 2015 as well?
Old Mar 8, 2014, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
The MQD requirement (or waiver) constitutes another required condition for elite status. Logically it must weakly reduce the number of DMs because we're adding a constraint. If lots of DMs end up as lower tier elites, the numbers of PMs, GMs, and FOs could increase or decrease, but chances are that the numbers will decrease at least slightly at every tier because there are far fewer DMs than PMs, etc. This assumes that the presence of the new requirements doesn't recruit elite FFers from other airlines to move their business to DL in large enough numbers to overwhelm the count of those who end up with lower status.
I highlighted the operative qualifiers.

There is no incentive for DL management to trim elite ranks. They repeatedly demonstrate that they have no qualms about offending elites, so there is no reason to believe that they are trying to curry favor among us.

And, the more inflated the elite ranks, the more it benefits the bottom line. Competition within a bloated elite tier can serve to prompt elites to buy higher fares, etc., to posture themselves better to obtain increasingly sparse and hard to obtain benefits such as FC UGs.

Sorry, I am going to continue to view any claims that they are trying to reduce the number of elites to be empty PR rhetoric.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DL2SXM
There is a very good reason why a lot of us are whining, and you can thank Delta for that. They promised us a better award experience when they went from 2 tiers to 3 tiers. Well, where did that get us? Now, we go from 3 tiers to 5 tiers with the 'promise' of more awards at lower miles. I am sure DL will throw in a few 12,500 cheapies from JFK to FLL, but I will bet anyone on here that J international award levels, especially from the 48C to SE Asaia, will stay the same or go higher. Plus, if you can find a single low award J seat on any given particluar dates, that is all you will find. Good luck trying to find a 2nd J seat for your traveling partner, let along family of 4. That is why you get a lot of the whining.
^^^

Well put.

The flack that DL management are receiving right now comes directly from expectations engendered by management's behavior patterns over the last five years or so.

People are naturally cynical when they hear assurances that sound like the same sort of false promises they have received time and time again.

Delta management put themselves into this credibility hole and they are not wise enough yet to recognize the need to put down the shovel.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 12:32 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Beckles
Since you can see the future, can you share with us who will win the Superbowl in 2015 as well?
It has nothing to do with seeing the future, but it has to do with knowing the present.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 12:35 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
I highlighted the operative qualifiers.

There is no incentive for DL management to trim elite ranks. They repeatedly demonstrate that they have no qualms about offending elites, so there is no reason to believe that they are trying to curry favor among us.

And, the more inflated the elite ranks, the more it benefits the bottom line. Competition within a bloated elite tier can serve to prompt elites to buy higher fares, etc., to posture themselves better to obtain increasingly sparse and hard to obtain benefits such as FC UGs.

Sorry, I am going to continue to view any claims that they are trying to reduce the number of elites to be empty PR rhetoric.
Regardless of your beliefs why Delta is implementing MQD, the reality is that it will thin the elite ranks from where they would have been under the pre-MQD conditions.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Beckles
Regardless of your beliefs why Delta is implementing MQD, the reality is that it will thin the elite ranks from where they would have been under the pre-MQD conditions.
"Officer, I recognize that it was a 55 mph zone, but I really feel you should give me credit for the fact that I had already reduced my speed from 75 to 74 mph."

Sometimes, incremental improvements are not enough.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by hazelrah
Jeff Robertson on "Having Three Redemption Tiers Instead of Two"

- "We felt like introducing 40,000 and 60,000 is the right solution. Really, 40,000 miles is becoming popular."

LOL

http://boardingarea.com/viewfromthew...han-its-peers/
Does someone have his post/quote archived where he promised no less low awards available with 3 tier?
Old Mar 8, 2014, 2:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
^^^

Well put.

The flack that DL management are receiving right now comes directly from expectations engendered by management's behavior patterns over the last five years or so.

People are naturally cynical when they hear assurances that sound like the same sort of false promises they have received time and time again.

Delta management put themselves into this credibility hole and they are not wise enough yet to recognize the need to put down the shovel.
And I think that a lot of folks, especially DM's, will be willing to walk away from skymiles at this point. I am one of them. I wrote delta a very respectful letter and sent it via the delta website. They can do what they want with it.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 6:26 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by DL2SXM
And I think that a lot of folks, especially DM's, will be willing to walk away from skymiles at this point. I am one of them. I wrote delta a very respectful letter and sent it via the delta website. They can do what they want with it.
I agree. DL management has absolutely no credibility because they have repeatedly and consistently shown themselves to be dishonest and untrustworthy.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 6:36 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Lifetime Marriott Platinum, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by 5khours
I agree. DL management has absolutely no credibility because they have repeatedly and consistently shown themselves to be dishonest and untrustworthy.
+1...Additionally, since DL is making a lot of money, there is no incentive to change anything, and if anything, the current DL culture will become more embedded. Fortunately, those of us who are not hub captive, have other choices and can either choose to make them or not. The hub captives, who are the usual apologists by the way, are stuck.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 9:26 pm

Programs: AA PLT/3MM, UA GM/1MM, DL DM/1MM, FB Plat, AS MVP Gold, WN AList+
Originally Posted by waltinsocal
+1...Additionally, since DL is making a lot of money, there is no incentive to change anything, and if anything, the current DL culture will become more embedded. Fortunately, those of us who are not hub captive, have other choices and can either choose to make them or not. The hub captives, who are the usual apologists by the way, are stuck.
+1 (More - and I keep promising myself to stay away from these threads but much like M. Corleone "they keep pulling me back in...")

I was willing to give this somewhat of a chance until the charts came out. After seeing them - and the ripe opportunities for mischief - my SM will be burned down this year by finding what I can - and then bye-bye (again - did this already in 2003 under Mad King Leo).

The math is very simple, it is going to cost me - or my company - $22,727 in business to have a minimum chance (and that is a very shaky chance) at scoring a measly two lousy J class tix to W. Europe (DM earning rates - no Amex). That is a lot of trips to CLT/IND/MCI/DFW and other 'short hops' within the US - I figure about 60-70 roundtrips (!@#@) at what I usually spend on tix - $300-$400 r/t. At only minimum earning rates for current (500 mile min) all those r/t's (4 flights each) would equate to 270K minimum.

So I lose on the domestics - and I really lose on the international flights which used to make up the difference to get to anything like useful amounts of miles.

No way on this one for me...for the $4-5K per week in last minute (or lack of planning) air travel folks that I had no idea were so plentiful until now but are now loving all this, knock yourselves out and have a good time. It sounds like upgrades are going to be a lot easier even later this year as the masses start to understand what is going on (most DL folks that I have talked to in the last two weeks on DL flights still have no clue what is coming).

I must have picked the wrong career track - but there is no way my employer - or career field - are ever going to foot these kind of tickets. There is just no need to usually buy them at anywhere near the kinds of prices that are going to be needed to even break even with current earning rates.

DL increased the price of the currency but shows no real indications of increasing their value of the currency beyond loose 'promises'. Fool me once...and bye-bye as there are still choices out there.

A combination of AA, WN and (gulp) UA looks very preferable to playing this game.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 11:48 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite, AA Platinum Pro, Hertz Presidents
Originally Posted by kettle1
I am no DL loyalist or cheerleader.

I am sick of people bitc*ing daily about the new program they know nothing about at this point (only parts of the program) . I may be wrong on Jan 1st, 2015. Until than cut the cr*p. Since DL is so bad, jump ship. The last I saw UA has a few open seats. It may be on a RJ, but it is an open seat with "friendly skies" attitude and "friendly" food choices. Enjoy your trip to the other side (which I left).

Until everything comes out from DL on the new FF policy - Quit whining, or move on. DL released this about 6 months early. What else do you want. It is what it is. Take it or leave it.

And please don't call me a DL loyalist or cheerleader as I was called in the former post. If the new program sucks for me I'll be the first to say so. Until the full details are released, cut the cr*p. Cheers.
Seems like you are whining about the whining. Didn't your momma ever teach you about two wrongs not making a right???
Cut your own DL loving crapola!
Pip pip cheerio
Old Mar 9, 2014, 12:03 am

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Originally Posted by scottsam66
Seems like you are whining about the whining. Didn't your momma ever teach you about two wrongs not making a right???
Cut your own DL loving crapola!
Pip pip cheerio
Thanks for the personal attack. And don't bring up my mama. Enjoy your weekend. Give me a break.
Old Mar 9, 2014, 1:54 am

Programs: AA Plt 3MM; UA 1K 2 MM; MR Lifetime Plat; HH Lifetime Diamond; HH Diamond; IGH Spire Ambas; SPG Gold
Delta loyalists have had an awful ff program for years.

It is still awful--albeit with the new changes not as bad as many anticipated--so not terribly awful.

And Delta management knows you'll just suck it up.

So stop with the long rants. Delta could not care less. They know you're tied to them for the long haul.

Now United has a much better ff program. However, the problem with flying United is just that--you have to deal with an awful airline run by inept management.

Bottom line--do you want to fly an excellent airline with an awful frequent flyer program? Or fly a poorly run airline with a very good frequent flyer program?

Maybe, just maybe, the new American will show you can have both.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.