Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

New Delta Award Redemption Charts Released

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 6, 2014, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TheBOSman
Direct link at Delta.com: http://www.delta.com/content/dam/delta-www/skymiles/2015-program/2015SMP-award.pdf
Print Wikipost

New Delta Award Redemption Charts Released

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2014, 2:22 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Lifetime Marriott Platinum, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by javabytes
Has the added benefit of being easy to typo: SkyLiar
+1 and more. May I propose, for the sake of political correctness, we now call them SkyLiarMiles? Too good and SO true, Java. My best laugh of the day here in SF. Still chuckling.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 2:54 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ezron
Just checked the $$$ of a ST THOMAS--COLUMBUS one-way first class
flight for Jan 2015........the price $453

checked the mileage needed (and it was off peak).....100,000

maybe that is why some might be negative
You're comparing the one-way cash cost to a round-trip Standard (not Saver) Award, what point you're trying to make is lost on me.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by DL2SXM
Not to butt in on someone elses argument, but if its good for you and bad for others, then great, good move Delta. If it hurts or affects you then shame on Delta.
Originally Posted by motytrah
We should just lock most of the threads on FT and paste that in. Save everyone some time because that's more or less sums up most of the majority of the threads on this board.
Totally ^
Old Mar 7, 2014, 4:54 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
When FF programs were new, one indeed needed to fly 25,000 miles to get a 25,000 mile award. There weren't bonus miles, etc.
Bonuses in the FF programs have been around since very early on, including when the programs were pretty brand-spanking new.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 4:57 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Bonuses in the FF programs have been around since very early on, including when the programs were pretty brand-spanking new.
And when you redeemed an award, you not only received the flight, you also received a voucher for a hotel and a car rental as well (at least with NW).
Old Mar 7, 2014, 6:09 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by fti
And when you redeemed an award, you not only received the flight, you also received a voucher for a hotel and a car rental as well (at least with NW).
This kind of stuff was also taking place with othe US airlines too -- with UA this too was still the norm even after FT was launched in 1998.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 6:43 pm

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
Originally Posted by motytrah
2) Jury is still out on if MQD is a really going to shrink ranks or just create more Amex revenue since people can use the card spend loopholes.

I think this is way more complicated than just DL can do no right. As a paid F/J flyer, the MQD/Too Many Medallions and SC changes really don't matter to me. Be that as it may I have empathy for the folks on FT that got a bit butt hurt over taking a hit while potential HVCs in NYC were getting things on platinum platter.
I am sure it will thin the ranks, the question is by how many?
Old Mar 7, 2014, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by dilbertsdaddy

You complained the SC was too crowded.....and they are trying to address it.

You complained that the elite ranks were swelled.....and they are addressing it.

SC crowding... impact of $695 membership remains to be seen. Meanwhile, they are giving away 1 year memberships to folks taking 1 BE flight. Do you really expect that DL management has any true enthusiasm for decreasing access now that they have reamed out all of the clubs to provide for mass occupancy?

As to trimming elite ranks, have I missed something? Other than possibly driving people away with the new earnings rules (something all DL supporters deny is even conceivable), what have they done to trim the elite ranks..... Oh, yes, MQDs. In about 2 months I will have passed my AMEX spend threshold. MQDs, I assert, were introduced more with the intent of swelling AMEX cardholder ranks than trimming medallion ranks.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 7:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by TripleD
Please, this is accounting 101. The "incremental cost of goods sold" is not impacted by sales - either actual or anticipated. The Incremental Cost Method recognizes a liability for the marginal cost of providing air transportation to eligible award passengers (i.e. the cost of taxes, fuel, food, etc.) to fly one additional passenger on a seat that otherwise would have been empty—generally a nominal amount. Sales is not a variable in the calculation.
I recommend reading AA's 10-k. Pay attention to the discussion of breakage (e.g. probability of redemption) and how this impacts the valuation on their books. Accounting 101 and all that... The calculation is comprised of two components and you erroneously are fixated on one.

As for the long-term implications, that is objectively not impacted by accounting. That is definitely accounting 101. Might even be covered on the first day of class.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 7:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
SC crowding... impact of $695 membership remains to be seen. Meanwhile, they are giving away 1 year memberships to folks taking 1 BE flight. Do you really expect that DL management has any true enthusiasm for decreasing access now that they have reamed out all of the clubs to provide for mass occupancy?

As to trimming elite ranks, have I missed something? Other than possibly driving people away with the new earnings rules (something all DL supporters deny is even conceivable), what have they done to trim the elite ranks..... Oh, yes, MQDs. In about 2 months I will have passed my AMEX spend threshold. MQDs, I assert, were introduced more with the intent of swelling AMEX cardholder ranks than trimming medallion ranks.
The MQD requirement (or waiver) constitutes another required condition for elite status. Logically it must weakly reduce the number of DMs because we're adding a constraint. If lots of DMs end up as lower tier elites, the numbers of PMs, GMs, and FOs could increase or decrease, but chances are that the numbers will decrease at least slightly at every tier because there are far fewer DMs than PMs, etc. This assumes that the presence of the new requirements doesn't recruit elite FFers from other airlines to move their business to DL in large enough numbers to overwhelm the count of those who end up with lower status.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 7:29 pm

Programs: AA, DL Gold Med , UA, AS, WN, HHonors Silver, Marriott, IHG Rewards Club, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by dilbertsdaddy

I am not a DL apologist and I enjoy the miles but the main reason I fly DL is because they get me where I need to be ontime with my bag, on a clean, well-maintained airplane. The rest of it is gravy.
+1

Well said.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 8:12 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Originally Posted by Peter T.
+1

Well said.
Agree, and the staff treat me far better on DL than UA.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 8:19 pm
Suspended

DL: good airline with wicked "loyalty" program management.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Days like this help keep things in perspective.

Malaysia Airlines loses contact with Boeing 777-200 carrying 227 passengers

We've passionately debated topics here that, when you get down to it, are just business, trivial in the grand scheme of things. Be thankful for every safe flight no matter who you're flying, and thoughts go out to those on board and their loved ones.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 9:19 pm

Programs: AA PLT/3MM, UA GM/1MM, DL DM/1MM, FB Plat, AS MVP Gold, WN AList+
Originally Posted by GUWonder
DL: good airline with wicked "loyalty" program management.
Agreed...

The problem for me is as a non-DL hub flyer the benefits of dealing with (generally) much better customer service are being eroded more by what is going on here.

I am already booking away from DL due what I now see as no real improvement in cost (and probably) availability. I was going wait a bit longer, but my AA flight reservation queue is showing more activity than it has in years. The fact that they did not want to push those charts out this early is telling about where this really headed.

I was willing to put up with SM's lousy redemption realities before, but I see little good in these charts, plenty of opportunity for 'creativity' on DL's part with the added problem of little opportunity of earning close to the amount of RDM miles I currently get. So, there is going to be a huge wind-down in the amount of business going to DL later this year - and certainly next year.

There is also certainly no reason for me to have a DL Reserve card anymore after this year. My earlier hope that DL SM would be more valuable next year - or any time soon - seems a bit far fetched now

FF 'benefits' do have a place in making good old-fashioned decisions on who to steer money towards. I realize that there are a lot of games out there - on both the FF and airline sides - but this is one 'game' too far.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.