Community
Wiki Posts
Search

This week's weather waiver!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2014, 4:32 am

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
I'm on my MSP-ATL flight right now taxiing to the deicing area. I was told ATL-MSY is a go also this morning.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 4:53 am
us2
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL
So glad to be somewhere where the high tomorrow is going to be 81. And very happy that a planned trip this week to the Midwest wound up being cancelled.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 5:08 am

Programs: Delta Dirt Medallion,AA,USairways, WN Rapid Rewards, National Emerald Club
It's the old Delphic maxim - "know thyself".

Atlanta collapses at the fall of a snowflake, it's always collapsed at the fall of a snowflake, and it always will collapse at the fall of a snowflake. I was watching the weather for days ahead and they were talking about an inch or so of snow.

Plan accordingly.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 5:38 am
g50

Programs: DL DM 2MM, AA LTP, Hyatt Globalist, FB Plat
Originally Posted by PRWeezer
Weather Channel now putting Atlanta close to the 3-5" accumulation zone, though it keeps changing. For weather junkies, this is an interesting perspective on why this system was so hard to predict...as he says, the models are flaky:
http://www.wsbradio.com/weblogs/kirk...els-are-flaky/

Stay safe out their, folks!
All the way up to noon they were only predicting about an inch.

Originally Posted by Canarsie
The problem is that the roads are quite icy and difficult to navigate — even for those who are used to this type of weather.

Stay away from the Atlanta metropolitan area if at all possible.
You can't drive on ice and Altanta is extremely hilly.

Originally Posted by RMAnalystATL
Atlanta is a complete mess. My normal 15 minute commute ended up being over an hour (lucky to take all backroads) and many of my coworkers normal 25-30 minute commutes have been taking 2-6 hours. I feel bad for those living in Smyrna/Marietta/Kennesaw as 285 and 75 are a complete mess. Coming from the north, this is a complete embarrassment of a response to winter weather. Even though we have got some snow, this was known yesterday and the fact that the roads were so congested today and schools weren't canceled, people didn't work from home, etc is amazing. I have seen far worse road conditions up in Minnesota and never seen traffic like today. I would recommend anyone in the ATL metro area to stay in. So many bad drivers out there who don't know how to drive in this stuff and not worth spending hours in traffic to go 1-2-3 miles.
CNN reported this Jan 2nd.
ROWLANDS: More than 200 spinouts reported in Minneapolis alone as ice blankets the roads.

DOT in Atlanta reported that they have the equipment now, but because of complete grid lock they could not clear the roads. We will see what happens today.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 5:58 am

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
Originally Posted by RealHJ
7 hours wait for deice at ATL. Still waiting on plane. ATL must be really among the top of the worlds worst run airports and least prepared for such regular occurances as a little bit of snow.
ATL barely runs right when conditions are ideal, they keep pushing the volume. When the weather goes bad ATL can go down hill quickly. ORD is no better.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 6:13 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Aeroplan, Flying Blue
Please help me stay married

So let's see, I have a flight on DL departing YYZ at 18h15 this afternoon and connecting through ATL to SCL. If I don't get home tomorrow I may suffer a divorce (my second). Should I assume, then, that I had better check into any and all alternatives, or can I count on the management of ATL to get things back to normal in the next eight hours or so?
Old Jan 29, 2014, 6:29 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
In MCI, they just announced our flight would board as of now in 20 minutes or so but is still subject to cancellation ...
Old Jan 29, 2014, 6:37 am

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
FA just informed me my flight as well as the next flight to MSY are canceled.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 7:06 am

Originally Posted by Beckles
In MCI, they just announced our flight would board as of now in 20 minutes or so but is still subject to cancellation ...
they announced our flight leaving at 820 AM Central Time is being held 90 minutes.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 7:08 am

Programs: Delta Dirt Medallion,AA,USairways, WN Rapid Rewards, National Emerald Club
Originally Posted by Beckles
they announced our flight leaving at 820 AM Central Time is being held 90 minutes.
Flightaware reports as follows: "All inbound flights (ATL) being held at their origin until Wednesday at 10:00AM EST"
Old Jan 29, 2014, 7:32 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by troyintn
ATL barely runs right when conditions are ideal, they keep pushing the volume. When the weather goes bad ATL can go down hill quickly. ORD is no better.
Maybe route via DTW if possible? Rarely if ever I hear about a "DTW meltdown".
Old Jan 29, 2014, 7:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by yohanson
FA just informed me my flight as well as the next flight to MSY are canceled.
Couldn't you have avoided connecting through ATL to get from MSP to MSY?
Old Jan 29, 2014, 7:48 am

I'm regretting not paying more for the WN non-stop MCI-MCO ...
Old Jan 29, 2014, 7:49 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Couldn't you have avoided connecting through ATL to get from MSP to MSY?
ATL isn't the problem. MSY is shutdown. I'm in the E Sky Club right now. I have a feeling I'll be flying back to MSP later.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 7:55 am

Programs: DL 2.8 MM/PM, AA MM/GLD, Marriott LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by RMAnalystATL
Atlanta is a complete mess. My normal 15 minute commute ended up being over an hour (lucky to take all backroads) and many of my coworkers normal 25-30 minute commutes have been taking 2-6 hours. I feel bad for those living in Smyrna/Marietta/Kennesaw as 285 and 75 are a complete mess. Coming from the north, this is a complete embarrassment of a response to winter weather. Even though we have got some snow, this was known yesterday and the fact that the roads were so congested today and schools weren't canceled, people didn't work from home, etc is amazing. I have seen far worse road conditions up in Minnesota and never seen traffic like today. I would recommend anyone in the ATL metro area to stay in. So many bad drivers out there who don't know how to drive in this stuff and not worth spending hours in traffic to go 1-2-3 miles.

As for the airline operation today, almost all the cancelations were done in advance so the schedule was trimmed before the day began and aside from de-icing delays, things ran about as smoothly as one could expect. The airport operation today looked extremely organized and well run compared to the road situation in Atlanta. I wish everyone traveling to/from/through ATL a safe journey!
Thanks for the report!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.