FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   This week's weather waiver! (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1545835-weeks-weather-waiver.html)

jrkmsp Jan 27, 2014 11:02 am

This week's weather waiver!

Delta issued a weather waiver for eight states today, including Georgia.

Alabama (AL)
Florida (FL)
Georgia (GA)
Louisiana (LA)
Mississippi (MS)
North Carolina (NC)
South Carolina (SC)
Texas (TX)

For travel Tuesday/Wednesday. I've heard reports of a whopping 1-2" of snow in Atlanta tomorrow. Up here, we don't even call that a dusting. Pity on anyone trying to fly anywhere on Delta the rest of this week. With Atlanta most assuredly headed for meltdown mode, Delta is going to be a mess.

Details: http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...r-Weather.html

Hoyaheel Jan 27, 2014 11:19 am

Thanks - I was going to check the Delta site this afternoon to see if anything had been mentioned. My husband is flying NC-FL on Wednesday morning. Through Atlanta. Lucky him:p So we'll see if he wants to try to fly out early....

rylan Jan 27, 2014 11:32 am

Was wondering when they would post it... ATL is going to be in code red meltdown if they end up getting a couple inches. Looks even worse for a band along the southeast states too.

jrkmsp Jan 27, 2014 11:37 am

Originally Posted by rylan (Post 22232504)
Was wondering when they would post it... ATL is going to be in code red meltdown if they end up getting a couple inches. Looks even worse for a band along the southeast states too.

I'm home this week, and thankful. I cannot imagine how bad things would be. My trips rarely touch ATL, but I'm sure anyone who can reroute through the northern hubs will do so. I wonder if Delta, in a situation like this, would preemptively consider rerouting capacity that normally serves ATL into MSP and DTW, to try and shuffle the load.

MSPeconomist Jan 27, 2014 11:41 am

Originally Posted by jrkmsp (Post 22232537)
I'm home this week, and thankful. I cannot imagine how bad things would be. My trips rarely touch ATL, but I'm sure anyone who can reroute through the northern hubs will do so. I wonder if Delta, in a situation like this, would preemptively consider rerouting capacity that normally serves ATL into MSP and DTW, to try and shuffle the load.

Yeah, it could be smart to swap aircraft so that the larger planes are in the north, but then it could be a mess to get everything repositioned back to normal and in the meantime there could be lots of IDBs and downgrades to deal with on aircraft that are smaller than originally planned.

javabytes Jan 27, 2014 11:46 am

http://republicofaustin.com/2014/01/...ocalypse-2014/

Alert: Link provides comic relief. If that's not your thing, you've been warned.

DLdweeb Jan 27, 2014 11:47 am

So I'm traveling Wed through ATL, and decided to check and see what else was available earlier. The website (for me, anyway) refuses to list all available flights, it will only display page 1 of the schedule. Selecting "Show all", or "Page 2" gives me an error message.

Lovely.....

CabinCaptive Jan 27, 2014 11:51 am

Do people generally have luck doing co-terminal changes without increases in fares being applied? I'm flying LGA-ATL-XXX and would love to change to JFK-XXX.

Also, is it worth asking about the return as well, or are agents generally not inclined to swap that portion out? Thanks!

rylan Jan 27, 2014 11:52 am

This is one time I'm glad I'm flying through JFK later this week :p

jrkmsp Jan 27, 2014 11:53 am

Looks like they added a waiver for the Midwest for today and tomorrow:

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...r-weather.html

Chicago, IL (ORD – O’Hare)
Cleveland, OH (CLE)
Columbus, OH (CMH)
Detroit, MI (DTW)
Indianapolis, IN (IND)
Madison, WI (MSN)
Milwaukee, WI (MKE)
Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN (MSP)
Peoria, IL (PIA)

It's going to be cold, but no precip expected, at least in Minneapolis. Not sure about the other cities. Pity the traveler this week.

rylan Jan 27, 2014 11:53 am

Originally Posted by CabinCaptive (Post 22232658)
Do people generally have luck doing co-terminal changes without increases in fares being applied? I'm flying LGA-ATL-XXX and would love to change to JFK-XXX.

Also, is it worth asking about the return as well, or are agents generally not inclined to swap that portion out? Thanks!

With the weather waiver you'll probably have a decent chance. Normally co-terminal changes are only allowed on an SDC for DMs.

jrkmsp Jan 27, 2014 11:54 am

Originally Posted by CabinCaptive (Post 22232658)

I've done co-terminals before. Usually they just want to get you the heck out. But they've never switched the other end of the flight for me.

CabinCaptive Jan 27, 2014 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by jrkmsp (Post 22232690)
I've done co-terminals before. Usually they just want to get you the heck out. But they've never switched the other end of the flight for me.

Thanks! It's on two PNRs (traveling with a companion) so probably best just to get the swap made.

TheMoose Jan 27, 2014 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by jrkmsp (Post 22232537)
I wonder if Delta, in a situation like this, would preemptively consider rerouting capacity that normally serves ATL into MSP and DTW, to try and shuffle the load.

Historically (since the merger) they haven't, so I doubt they would start now. Delta would prefer to just delay/cancel flights and operate special sections as needed to make up for it the next day (or whenever available).

moxielady Jan 27, 2014 12:13 pm

Supposed to fly to SAT tonight connecting in DTW. My flight got cancelled a couple of hours ago due to weather in SAT. Would have arrived around 11:00p.m. and the weather at that time is forecasted to be 37 with zero precipitation. Really Delta?