Community
Wiki Posts
Search

This week's weather waiver!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2014, 12:50 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
Originally Posted by PRWeezer
As a result, local school systems didn't cancel classes, and now many of them are dismissing early. A lot of companies also seem to be sending folks home early, putting everyone on the road all at once. Not good.
That happened in Raleigh in 2005 and is the reason they're skittish and cancel quickly (they announced today's school cancellation pretty early yesterday) There were kids who ended up spending the night in schools, if I'm remembering correctly.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 1:09 pm

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
I was supposed to fly MSP-ATL-BTR last night, and then today. Now I'm flying MSP-ATL-MSY-MSP EARLY tomorrow morning and back Thursday night. I don't have a lot of hope that I fly out tomorrow.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 1:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by yohanson
I was supposed to fly MSP-ATL-BTR last night, and then today. Now I'm flying MSP-ATL-MSY-MSP EARLY tomorrow morning and back Thursday night. I don't have a lot of hope that I fly out tomorrow.
Can't you get a seat on MSP-MSY nonstop (probably several times per day in something like a CRJ-900)?
Old Jan 28, 2014, 1:18 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

From the looks of local traffic maps, Atlanta is in total gridlock right now. Anyone w a flight out of ATL that still looks to be going should take MARTA if that's an option.

For the last few days forecasters were saying this one was hard to predict. As a result, local school systems didn't cancel classes, and now many of them are dismissing early. A lot of companies also seem to be sending folks home early, putting everyone on the road all at once. Not good.
That is an understatement.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 1:28 pm

Programs: Atlanta's hometown airline. A bunch of hotel programs. PetSmart PetPerks.
Originally Posted by Canarsie
That is an understatement.
Weather Channel now putting Atlanta close to the 3-5" accumulation zone, though it keeps changing. For weather junkies, this is an interesting perspective on why this system was so hard to predict...as he says, the models are flaky:
http://www.wsbradio.com/weblogs/kirk...els-are-flaky/

Stay safe out their, folks!

Last edited by PRWeezer; Jan 28, 2014 at 1:35 pm
Old Jan 28, 2014, 1:33 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Weather Channel now putting Atlanta is in the 3-5" accumulation zone.
Woof! That's gonna be a mess.

We had some flurries here in HSV, and even those were the dry powdery kind of stuff like they get in Central AK.

But they did open a lot of schools two hours late due to the cold.

And traffic around the Redstone Arsenal was horrendous. Not due to weather, but due to cutbacks in manning at the entry gates.

David
Old Jan 28, 2014, 1:44 pm

Weather Channel now putting Atlanta close to the 3-5" accumulation zone, though it keeps changing. For weather junkies, this is an interesting perspective on why this system was so hard to predict...as he says, the models are flaky:
http://www.wsbradio.com/weblogs/kirk...els-are-flaky/

Stay safe out their, folks!
The problem is that the roads are quite icy and difficult to navigate — even for those who are used to this type of weather.

Stay away from the Atlanta metropolitan area if at all possible.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 1:50 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by Canarsie
The problem is that the roads are quite icy and difficult to navigate — even for those who are used to this type of weather.

Stay away from the Atlanta metropolitan area if at all possible.
I-20 East of Birmingham:

And somewhere in Atlanta:

Also, check out the ATL traffic map:

http://www.sigalert.com/Map.asp?regi...=-84.39307&z=1

David
Old Jan 28, 2014, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
So looks like if you're anywhere near there, you're pretty much screwed for several hours.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 2:12 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hertz PC, SPG Gold
Supposed to fly RDU-ATL tomorrow at 11:00am. Getting slammed on both sides, but I'm going to remain hopeful against all odds.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
From the looks of local traffic maps, Atlanta is in total gridlock right now. Anyone w a flight out of ATL that still looks to be going should take MARTA if that's an option.

For the last few days forecasters were saying this one was hard to predict. As a result, local school systems didn't cancel classes, and now many of them are dismissing early. A lot of companies also seem to be sending folks home early, putting everyone on the road all at once. Not good.
MARTA was pretty bad too with a broken train at Five Points. Took me 1h10 to go from Airport Station to my stop at Lindbergh. Still, based on what I'm seeing, it looks like most of my coworkers are still stuck in traffic, so I at least came ahead a bit.

Was a bit strange getting on the train at the airport and not hearing a jet constantly taking off.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 3:36 pm

Programs: Atlanta's hometown airline. A bunch of hotel programs. PetSmart PetPerks.
Originally Posted by yohanson
Nola.com report says MSY closed through Wednesday (also reported by Weather Channel).
http://www.nola.com/business/index.s...rt_maj-story-1
Old Jan 28, 2014, 3:38 pm

A state of emergency has just been declared by the governor of Georgia.

Meanwhile, there are reports that aircraft can depart from the airport — but getting airplanes and flight crews to Atlanta has proven to be significantly more difficult, causing delays and cancellations of flights...
Old Jan 28, 2014, 3:40 pm

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
They say at ATl it is the airlines responsibility to provide deicing. That makes no sense why would not this be the airport's responsibility.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 3:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer
They say at ATl it is the airlines responsibility to provide deicing. That makes no sense why would not this be the airport's responsibility.
Different USA airports are organized differently in this and other stuff such as owned/leased versus common shared gates. I suspect that airlines with large operations at an airport would prefer to de-ice themselves because then they have more control and won't be forced to delay flights due to de-icing traffic jams, lines, or wait lists.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.