Community
Wiki Posts
Search

This week's weather waiver!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2014, 5:41 pm

Programs: UA MM / LT Gold (LT UC), DL SM, AA PLT (AC), OZ, KE; GE and Korean SES (like GE); Marriott Gold
Have flights ICN>DTW>DAY and return; I was worried about the weather in DTW and DAY (Seoul's has been good recently). Now, I'm glad to be "going northern".
Old Jan 27, 2014, 6:20 pm

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Wrote before reading more of the thread. So I may end up cancelling the meeting entirely.

Thanks for the warning -- I'm flying DCA-ORD on Tuesday connecting in MSP (for the miles) and returning Wednesday connecting at LGA. Had been thinking about switching to an ATL flight to avoid the cold. Never mind.

Last edited by mot29; Jan 27, 2014 at 6:28 pm
Old Jan 27, 2014, 6:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by relangford
Have flights ICN>DTW>DAY and return; I was worried about the weather in DTW and DAY (Seoul's has been good recently). Now, I'm glad to be "going northern".
Check the ICN weather. It was miserable there a week ago.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 6:39 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
FWIW, the forecasts for ATL still have the bad stuff sliding by just south. The ice is well south/east, and the 3-5 inches of snow (no laughing WIS_BOY) will be just south of the airport. The airport can handle a couple inches of snow.

So I would guess delays Tue but no real metldown like in 2011. 500 flights already cancelled though as DL thins the schedule.

Of course that presumes the forecast is about right.

Last edited by exwannabe; Jan 27, 2014 at 6:45 pm
Old Jan 27, 2014, 6:56 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
My husband rescheduled his Wednesday RDU-ATL-TPA flight for Tuesday and RDU-ATL leg was just cancelled

He's trying to get on an earlier flight (which means leaving home at 0'dark thirty as we're not very close to the airport) and I'm wondering if I should have just left it alone for him to try on Wednesday
Old Jan 28, 2014, 4:15 am

Programs: SPG-Gold
Skyclub in LAX looked at my ticket and suggested I stick with the flights and that the flight from ATL to BOS have not been canceling. So here I am in ATL and my flight leaves in just over an hour.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by exwannabe
FWIW, the forecasts for ATL still have the bad stuff sliding by just south. The ice is well south/east, and the 3-5 inches of snow (no laughing WIS_BOY) will be just south of the airport. The airport can handle a couple inches of snow.
Not sure what your definition of 'handle' is

Even if they don't get nailed, with the storm southeast its going to effectively close off one or two of the approach quadrants to the airport.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 7:23 am

Programs: UA Silver, Southwest A-List, Hilton Diamond
Just left ATL 1/2 an hour ago. Conditions there seem ok for now. Flight to MKE left on time.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 9:11 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/1.2MM, UA Premier gold/1MM, Choice diamond, Marriott gold
In HSV, every one of the five 717 flights to ATL today has already been cancelled. The CRJ-900 flights to and from ATL have all operated normally or are still shown as "On Time" (later today). We also have one 717 in the air from ATL on schedule but the return to ATL has been cancelled, as have the remainder of the incoming 717s. Anyone know why the 717s would all be cancelled while the CRJs would operate as scheduled?
Old Jan 28, 2014, 9:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Kwaj boy
In HSV, every one of the five 717 flights to ATL today has already been cancelled. The CRJ-900 flights to and from ATL have all operated normally or are still shown as "On Time" (later today). We also have one 717 in the air from ATL on schedule but the return to ATL has been cancelled, as have the remainder of the incoming 717s. Anyone know why the 717s would all be cancelled while the CRJs would operate as scheduled?
Maybe DL wants the 717 to be parked somewhere other than ATL during the storm for faster schedule recovery or just to create some space for other aircraft hopefully arriving later at ATL.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 9:38 am

Programs: Delta Plat, IHG Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Kwaj boy
Different airlines. 717's are Delta mainline and the CRJs are ExpressJet. Don't the regionals make these kind of decisions on their own?
Old Jan 28, 2014, 9:39 am

Programs: Delta Plat, IHG Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by beachmouse
I doubt any of the Florida panhandle airports do.

And we're supposed to get ice storm conditions followed by snow overnight from Tuesday to Wednesday.
I had a flight delay at VPS due to frost last year, early morning flight. USAir had one that they offered to let Delta use but nobody could actually get it started. We were delayed until the sun melted it.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 10:56 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/1.2MM, UA Premier gold/1MM, Choice diamond, Marriott gold
Deleted
Old Jan 28, 2014, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by realjd
Different airlines. 717's are Delta mainline and the CRJs are ExpressJet. Don't the regionals make these kind of decisions on their own?
Of course they are different airlines but that doesn't explain the difference. It's still odd that all of HSV's regionals are on time and all of HSV's mainline flights have been cancelled.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 12:27 pm

Programs: Atlanta's hometown airline. A bunch of hotel programs. PetSmart PetPerks.
From the looks of local traffic maps, Atlanta is in total gridlock right now. Anyone w a flight out of ATL that still looks to be going should take MARTA if that's an option.

For the last few days forecasters were saying this one was hard to predict. As a result, local school systems didn't cancel classes, and now many of them are dismissing early. A lot of companies also seem to be sending folks home early, putting everyone on the road all at once. Not good.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.