Trip Report posted by FlyerTalk member 355F1
Print Wikipost

Delta New 737-900ER Interior

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2013, 4:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Originally Posted by brocklee9000
Come to think of it, I do remember the galley being particularly small. The two FAs that were up there when I boarded were kinda crammed and hugging as close to the wall as they could to allow us to board. I was really hoping to get a peek into the shiny new cockpit, maybe get a picture or two as well. But the door was closed when I boarded, and for the entire boarding process. Same when we got off the plane. I'm guessing the door to the flight deck takes up too much space when it's open?

I have high rez shots in the post: http://boardingarea.com/deltapoints/...el-experience/

Old Dec 25, 2013, 8:05 pm

Programs: DL Pork Medallion, PP, GE
Originally Posted by Delta Points
I have high rez shots in the post:
Oh yeah, I had forgotten about those. Very cool! Especially the shot with the HUD extended. I wish I could have had a chance to sit up there for a moment or two.
Old Dec 29, 2013, 12:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Not yet a fan of these things

We had them for the first time this morning FLL-ATL and, after carefully reading this thread, avoided our customary last row CD seats in favor of the bulkhead 1AB. This was in line with the experiences above and also would give us a better chance at making our connection to a once-a-day flight if something happened to seriously delay our inbound.

1AB are a bad situation. There is almost no footroom at all for 1A since the wall is so close to the seats and the cutout does not begin until about 18" in toward the center of the airplane. 1B is bad enough even it has the cutout all the way across and also has the customary Boeing short closet on that side that allows the right foot to stretch out without really being in the aisle.

The FAs on our trip were two big guys, pmNWs, who could not fit into the shrunken galley together. The other running joke was the size of the lav which must cause the women a lot of trouble. They dislike it intensely and were both getting out of the airplane to use the public lav in the terminal so they could keep the use of the airplane's lav to a minimum as they went on with it to SFO. When I last saw them, they were stuck on the logistics of having to get 20 lunches out of that broom closet.

I guess the next try for us when forced to take one of those will be in row 3 or 4. Give me back your oldest and most beat-up 757 and I will like it a whole lot better than this thing.
Old Dec 29, 2013, 4:08 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by monitor
We had them for the first time this morning FLL-ATL and, after carefully reading this thread, avoided our customary last row CD seats in favor of the bulkhead 1AB. This was in line with the experiences above and also would give us a better chance at making our connection to a once-a-day flight if something happened to seriously delay our inbound.

1AB are a bad situation. There is almost no footroom at all for 1A since the wall is so close to the seats and the cutout does not begin until about 18" in toward the center of the airplane. 1B is bad enough even it has the cutout all the way across and also has the customary Boeing short closet on that side that allows the right foot to stretch out without really being in the aisle.

The FAs on our trip were two big guys, pmNWs, who could not fit into the shrunken galley together. The other running joke was the size of the lav which must cause the women a lot of trouble. They dislike it intensely and were both getting out of the airplane to use the public lav in the terminal so they could keep the use of the airplane's lav to a minimum as they went on with it to SFO. When I last saw them, they were stuck on the logistics of having to get 20 lunches out of that broom closet.

I guess the next try for us when forced to take one of those will be in row 3 or 4. Give me back your oldest and most beat-up 757 and I will like it a whole lot better than this thing.
I never uploaded this one but yes 1A is horrid for leg room. 1B a bit better.

Old Dec 29, 2013, 6:19 am

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Delta Points
I never uploaded this one but yes 1A is horrid for leg room. 1B a bit better.

Proof that upgrades aren't what they used to be. Exit rows rule and no need to shoot for DM either.
Old Dec 29, 2013, 6:25 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by cottonpatch
Proof that upgrades aren't what they used to be. Exit rows rule and no need to shoot for DM either.
I hear ya but exit rows on this bird seem less generous to me also than others. Well other than the back row A and F that are missing a seat in front, those are very nice.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 7:23 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Delta DM & 1MM, Hertz and Avis President's Circle
Flew SFO-ATL on a 737-900ER yesterday in 21D, an exit row.

Seats were comfortable as far as padding. The exit rows are a strange configuration. The aisle and middle seat have a folding armrest between them. The window seat has a fixed armrest between it and the middle seat. There's no seat in front of 21F which means lots of leg room. But the AVOD screen is in the back of 19F. Bring your binoculars if you want to watch it. Also, your stuff has to be under 19F so its not easy to get to in flight.
There's one AC outlet in front of 21F and E so I guess its either bring one of those travel power strips or flip a coin to see who gets to use it.

Knee room is acceptable but not much different than EC. The only real advantage of being in 21 is that the seats in front do not recline which keeps the AVOD from being in your face so to speak.

This is the first time I've seen the lighting system go from daylight to nighttime. It was pretty cool watching the color change as we flew east. It does a good job of matching the outside lighting.

The rear lavs are small. There's three back there with doors that open outward. This can be a problem if there's anyone in front of the lavs. Some woman had issues with her foot and was standing in front of the lav doors basically blocking all three of them. I had to push past her since she was oblivious to where she was standing.

One thing I also noticed is the cabin service. One FA had a food only cart who started in the front of coach and came down the aisle ahead of the two beverage carts. We were able to buy food and hold on to it until the bev carts came to our row. I like this a lot because I feel like we had a better shot at getting something to eat. I've watched the old system and the food sales can definitely slow up beverage service with the number of credit cards being processed and people being uncertain about what they want to eat.

The AVOD movies were free on this flight. Not sure why but that was a good thing. Still no GoGo on this plane.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 11:45 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HHonors Diamond, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by GeorgeBurdell
The exit rows are a strange configuration. The aisle and middle seat have a folding armrest between them. The window seat has a fixed armrest between it and the middle seat. There's no seat in front of 21F which means lots of leg room. But the AVOD screen is in the back of 19F. Bring your binoculars if you want to watch it.
I assume the tray table for seat 21F is stored in the fixed armrest since the back of seat 19F is obviously too far away. Delta might have considered an articulating AVOD screen for the other armrest, but it probably would have obstructed the emergency exit when deployed, hence the binoculars-to-19F approach.

Last edited by MS02113; Jan 2, 2014 at 11:51 pm
Old Jan 4, 2014, 2:57 pm

Programs: DL 2MM DM & My Wife is a DL 3MM DM
We are back and forth between ATL and SFO all the time, and so we are going to be on these 739's--like it or not.

I'm mixed to negative on it, and my wife hates it.

On the plus side--I love the wide range of movie selections, and the FC seats seem okay. The overhead bins are easy to use.

On the minus side:

1) Why no live TV on a new plane like this?--ridiculous
2) FC feels really cramped--no where to really walk around and stretch. Someone else mentioned a cattle-car, and it sort of does have that feel.
3) I'm a short, thin guy, with not big hands, and yet the sink in the WC is ludicrously small and poorly designed. Water is constantly getting on the floor because your hands don't fit in the sink. Even 738s have better WCs.
4) Others have mentioned this, but when the person in front of you leans way back, it feels very cramped (and I'm talking in FC) and the design of the screen not allowing tilting becomes problematic.
5) The tray table is flimsy and humped (not flat), so you can't effectively put your computer on it and type.
6) The aisle is so narrow, that I find people constantly banging into me with their body or belongings as they board. This seems way more pronounced than on other planes, and like others have commented--the contrast between this and the serenity of the 757 boarding process is stark.

In sum, this would be a good plane for a short haul flight, but for a transcon, it is not a very pleasant experience. Unfortunately, we'll have to get used to it (unless we investigate flying with other carriers)--sigh.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 6:55 am

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer
Originally Posted by ND76

...While new, this plane really had the feel of a 21st century cattle car.
Originally Posted by jcname
I had 1A... all of the comments on space for this row are accurate. Two words: It sucks.
Originally Posted by atl runner

...FC feels really cramped--no where to really walk around and stretch. Someone else mentioned a cattle-car, and it sort of does have that feel.

...In sum, this would be a good plane for a short haul flight, but for a transcon, it is not a very pleasant experience.
Y'all are making the shriveled hearts in Atlanta beat a little faster.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 12:40 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by ND76
Couple more comments: (1) WiFi was available on our flight (I saw the guy sitting next to me using the internet and sending e-mails) (I'm relying on my memory here; I remember the airshow program indicating that this was ship number 3803);
Are you sure Wi-Fi was working? I've been on non wi-fi planes and written/responded to a bunch of older emails. It just gets saved in your outbox and sends once you are connected to the internet again.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 1:43 pm

Programs: DL 2MM DM & My Wife is a DL 3MM DM
Originally Posted by roknroll
Are you sure Wi-Fi was working? I've been on non wi-fi planes and written/responded to a bunch of older emails. It just gets saved in your outbox and sends once you are connected to the internet again.
WiFi was working on the last 739 we were on (on 28 December), but had not been on two previous flights--all ATL to SFO. They are getting some sort of certification, and supposedly all of them were going to have operational WiFi by now.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 2:36 pm

Programs: DL-PM
Originally Posted by atl runner
WiFi was working on the last 739 we were on (on 28 December), but had not been on two previous flights--all ATL to SFO. They are getting some sort of certification, and supposedly all of them were going to have operational WiFi by now.
I think all the equipment was onboard, just INOP until after certification.

The funny thing was that the seat pocket inserts of WiFi on board were already there on my early December flight, despite GoGo having been a NoGo...
Old Jan 6, 2014, 3:12 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by jcname
I think all the equipment was onboard, just INOP until after certification.

The funny thing was that the seat pocket inserts of WiFi on board were already there on my early December flight, despite GoGo having been a NoGo...
Yes, I think it's just a matter of FAA certification and I had read somewhere the government shut down delayed it. In mid November they were predicting it would be certified in 4-6 weeks which would be around now. All the hardware is in place, it's just turned off. So once they get approval I would imagine all planes would have it at the same time.

On a side note, I tweeted DeltaAssist last week to ask if they had any timeline one when the 739s were getting wi-fi and they didn't have any info.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 4:11 pm

Programs: DL Pork Medallion, PP, GE
Originally Posted by roknroll
N807DN had wifi when I was on it, 20 December 2013. The woman next to me was browsing through groupon, amazon, and some other stuff. I didn't purchase gogo on that flight, but used to wifi to use the fly delta app (check connection, look up the map for LAX, etc).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.