Trip Report posted by FlyerTalk member emancj — and it includes a photograph

Trip Report posted by FlyerTalk member tvnwz

Trip Report posted by FlyerTalk member 355F1
Print Wikipost

Delta New 737-900ER Interior

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2013, 5:04 pm

Programs: DL - PM, (NW - Plat), AA - Gold, Marriott - Plat, Avis - First
I was on N808DN and the pilots did say in their pre-flight announcement that we were on one of Delta's newest aircraft and that the aircraft was less than 3 weeks old.

My preference for domestic would be:

739ER > 738 > MD88/MD90 > A319/A320
763 > 757 > 739ER
D95 > 739ER (I'm a sucker for the 'ole 9s)
Old Dec 23, 2013, 3:55 am

Programs: AA, Delta Kryptonium (DM) Hyatt Diamond IHG Fake Plat (Ambassador), HH Gold
I have been trying to avoid these birds on my DTW-LAX, DTW-SFO trips.

It is becoming more difficult. In fact for my Jan DTW-LAX there is one flight that is a 757 and there seems to be a $30 premium on that flight.

(I know it could be for a number of reasons, but I am seeing a small pattern.....). I decided to pay it for "Guarantee" of Wifi and what I know of the F seats if I get the upgrade (F9)

There is still one of the old 767s on the return, which has been a 100% upgrade ex LAX.

I feel like I should try the 739 instead of continuing to put all this effort into avoiding it. I just want my first experience on a shorter (say 2hr) flight.

Maps
Old Dec 23, 2013, 8:23 am

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott, Amex
FC Overhead Bins

Rode in 4A on 737-900 from ATL to DTW. Was miraculously upgraded as a DM on the usually tough hub-hub route. I noticed nothing at all negative with seat 4A, other than having to ask 4B to move when I had to get up. Leg room seemed consistent with other DL FC seats.

I did not take note of the overhead bins in coach, but the ones in FC were the drop down types usually seen on the heavies. Not only are they noggin- knockers if you are not careful, but they do not accommodate a roller bag aligned front to bag. Roller bags only fit aligned side to side. This is a huge drawback. I can only imagine that if coach is the same way, there will be tons of gate checking of roller bags and the associated delays.

I also observed (as have others on the thread) that a not-so-tall flight attendant had difficulty closing the bin...which is to say that she couldn't do it.
Old Dec 23, 2013, 8:27 am

Programs: DL - PM, (NW - Plat), AA - Gold, Marriott - Plat, Avis - First
The bins on the 739ER do take most rollerbags wheels or handle first.
Old Dec 23, 2013, 8:31 am

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott, Amex
Originally Posted by DTWflyer
The bins on the 739ER do take most rollerbags wheels or handle first.
I won't argue with that in theory, but in practice pax and FA's both were having trouble putting that to the test.
Old Dec 23, 2013, 10:31 am

Programs: DL Pork Medallion, PP, GE
Originally Posted by DTWNate
I won't argue with that in theory, but in practice pax and FA's both were having trouble putting that to the test.
I'll second that. The individual in my post who kept almost-bludgeoning me with his bags and holding up the line was having issues. He kept going between rows looking for some nonexistent sweet-spot. Eventually he conceded and just put it in sideways so he wouldn't keep holding up the line. I noticed he got up during lulls in boarding to keep adjusting it. He didn't have anything large or bulky, just an Atlas Air crew bag.

There was a very short FA on this flight, but she wasn't in the F cabin so I wasn't able to see how difficult it was to close for her. And to repeat what I said earlier (and to add to what you said) you will get knocked in the head when the bins are open, if you're not careful. I think it's because when stowed, there is a huge amount of overhead space (no crouching when you get out of your seat). Then you forget about the bin, and all of a sudden someone opens it and *bam*
Old Dec 23, 2013, 10:49 am

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer
Originally Posted by brocklee9000
At the gate, waiting to board. From the outside, it sure looks an awful lot like a regular ol' 737, and I wonder to myself how they'll squeeze 180 of us on this plane.
It's the latest iteration of a plane that entered into service in 1968; gee-whiz features aside, it's an old and narrow design.
Old Dec 23, 2013, 9:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: Fly paid F and J. AA EXP. DL PM.
In the other thread, the DL rep said the screens could not be tilted due to the design of the IFE and the Seat. I'm still skeptical, as I can't figure out how this would restrict the screen (you'll see why in the second picture).

And looking at how thin those screens are, I can't understand why they didn't make them able to tile in the seatbacks. They're all like this. While it's not DREADFUL, it is definitely a nuisance. I already knew about it and anticipated it so it didn't upset me when it happened, but it was somewhat annoying.

And finally, here is 4A fully reclined into me (happened literally as soon as the "above 10,000ft" announcement was made). Would it have been nice to tilt the screen up? Yes, it would have been very nice... For whatever reason, DL decided they couldn't install the screens with a tilt.
What DL has not said, and has done the Corporate Communication Dance around, is WHY the screens do not tilt.

So here it is... the reason WHY the screens do not tilt is because... DL "value engineered" every square inch of the interior of the aircraft. Using paired comparisons, DL decided a slick large IFE screen with lots of entertainment choices and reduced legroom is what HVC's wanted. Said another way, DL's decision to install an industry leading tight first class with 37" pitch means the screens could not tilt without causing other problems, e.g., ease of access to the aisle. Had DL chosen the standard 38-10" first class pitch DL first class flyers on the 739-ER would have IFE screens that tilt.
Old Dec 23, 2013, 9:53 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond Medallion, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle, Marriott Platinum Elite
Was on the 737-900 seat 1C on Dec 20 SFO->DTW. Was the second time the FC FA worked the plane. Seats are definitely not yet "broken in" comfortable for such a long flight. Plenty of leg room (no cut outs in the bulkhead row, but still more leg room in the bulkhead rows than some 757s). Wifi and Satellite TV not yet installed. Lavs are EXTREMELY small (FAs were warning people to "walk into the lav in the position you want to be in" because you can't turn around). There is a specific in flight safety video for this aircraft (not just the exit locations). IFE screens are definitely better than on any other DL equipment. Overhead bin space in FC seemed a little tight (I only carry a small rolling computer bag and had some difficulties making it fit). It will be a good plane eventually and is a good replacement for some (but definitely not all) 757s (there are so many variants of the 757 that DL operates that it's impossible to say the 739 will be better than all or worse than all 757s).
Old Dec 23, 2013, 10:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: Fly paid F and J. AA EXP. DL PM.
Originally Posted by rjg319
Lavs are EXTREMELY small...
Interesting. Flyers seem to continue to say this. However the "official" Delta rep that responded in the other 739-ER thread said they were standard Boeing 737 lavs.

Hhmmm.

Did they seem any smaller than Delta's 738's?
Old Dec 23, 2013, 11:02 pm

Originally Posted by FitTraveler
Interesting. Flyers seem to continue to say this. However the "official" Delta rep that responded in the other 739-ER thread said they were standard Boeing 737 lavs.

Hhmmm.

There were some news articles out earlier this year, before Delta received its first 739s, which mentioned that this change was forthcoming on the new fleet. I would venture to guess that this is the enhancement that passengers are noticing.

Delta Airlines is one of the first carriers to order new on-board lavatories that will be smaller than the 3x3-foot-dimension toilets currently widely in use.

These reduced-sized bathrooms will be fitted to the airline’s 737-900 aircraft, and will allow Delta to fit four more seats into the planes’ economy-class cabins.

The airline says that passengers will not notice the difference, as the extra room will be harvested from space behind the sink units, which is currently wasted.

The wall of the lavatory will also be ‘sculpted’ to let the seats in front of it recline.

These lesser-proportioned loos will start to appear on the US-based airline’s fleet of 737 aircraft later this year, but only in the economy compartments.
link
Old Dec 24, 2013, 2:21 am

Originally Posted by rjg319
Wifi and Satellite TV not yet installed.
Ah, thanks for reminding me. I think I commented that our ship had wifi, but one thing it did not have was satellite TV. I didn't mind, as entertainment options in F are complimentary and it was a short flight anyway. But not having that in Y on a transcon would just be awful, after being lured in by the premise of having IFE at each seat, yet only being able to use it if you pay (aside from the music/moving map). I understand it took a few weeks to get wifi installed, but why not just do both at the same time?
Old Dec 24, 2013, 2:24 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, WF GoFar Rewards, AAdvantage, United MileagePlus
Ah, thanks for reminding me. I think I commented that our ship had wifi, but one thing it did not have was satellite TV. I didn't mind, as entertainment options in F are complimentary and it was a short flight anyway. But not having that in Y on a transcon would just be awful, after being lured in by the premise of having IFE at each seat, yet only being able to use it if you pay (aside from the music/moving map). I understand it took a few weeks to get wifi installed, but why not just do both at the same time?
Because they are installed by two different companies. The Wi-Fi system is by Gogo, while the satellite TV system is by Dish Network.
Old Dec 25, 2013, 2:15 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Delta DM & 1MM, Hertz and Avis President's Circle
Originally Posted by FitTraveler

Hhmmm.

They are the smallest lavs in terms of width (shoulder to shoulder) of any aircraft I've been on in the fleet, including RJs. The illuminated touch buttons seem to baffle some people, too. Maybe they need to put a big arrow that says "FLUSH" on it pointing to the button.

I've also heard the FAs don't like the tiny FC galley. Its barely enough room for two people at a time. I haven't flown coach yet but will find out next Wednesday what that is like.
Old Dec 25, 2013, 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by GeorgeBurdell
They are the smallest lavs in terms of width (shoulder to shoulder) of any aircraft I've been on in the fleet, including RJs. The illuminated touch buttons seem to baffle some people, too. Maybe they need to put a big arrow that says "FLUSH" on it pointing to the button.

I've also heard the FAs don't like the tiny FC galley. Its barely enough room for two people at a time. I haven't flown coach yet but will find out next Wednesday what that is like.
Come to think of it, I do remember the galley being particularly small. The two FAs that were up there when I boarded were kinda crammed and hugging as close to the wall as they could to allow us to board. I was really hoping to get a peek into the shiny new cockpit, maybe get a picture or two as well. But the door was closed when I boarded, and for the entire boarding process. Same when we got off the plane. I'm guessing the door to the flight deck takes up too much space when it's open?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.