Trip Report posted by FlyerTalk member emancj — and it includes a photograph

Trip Report posted by FlyerTalk member tvnwz

Trip Report posted by FlyerTalk member 355F1
Print Wikipost

Delta New 737-900ER Interior

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2014, 8:50 pm

Programs: DL-DM/2MM, MR-Plat, HH-Gold, Hertz-Prezi Club, Marriott-Gold, MHC
I experienced first flight in 737-900 last week between SFO-ATL. Usually I grab a P or A fare and don't sweat the upgrade lottery, but the L fare was too low to pass up. Needless to say I was #22 on the UG list as a DM so Y it was...I thoroughly enjoyed the new airplane, and the lighting was fabulous, seats quite comfortable in coach, and the IFE screens were pretty impressive. Ended up in middle seat, and (I know this is heresy), was quite comfortable. (had an aisle seat but mom traveling with toddler asked to switch, and I must have "sucker" written on my forehead).

I really like the product, and with an upcoming trip to SAN in a few weeks, looking forward to enjoying 737-900 in F with my SO! Thanks Delta for a modern airplane experience!
Old Jan 15, 2014, 8:52 pm

Programs: DL Pork Medallion, PP, GE
Originally Posted by rylan
Of course, the 900s are going to be making DL a boatload of money. They've packed in as many seats as they could to pull in more revenue. Profits far outweigh comfort.
Yep. Same seat count, 180. But in a smaller plane, with smaller engines that are also more efficient. Oh, I just had a thought, think of the crew: look up DL pay scales for 737 pilots versus 757 pilots. In fact, look at 739 pay grades. A first-year 739 captain will be making less than a 738 captain who has been flying the plane for years. A 757 captain of 10 years will be making $20 per hour more than a first year 739 captain.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 5:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond
Originally Posted by WisMan

I am just above average size, at least among the folks I hang with, being 6'5" and 230 pounds. Not a fatty, but a bit above average height...

So, I book an exit row seat in row 20. I thought with only 2 seats this would be a nice row to be in. BIG mistake.

The leg room in this row is no different than the rest of the plane. Horrible. Knees were jammed into the seat back in front of me the whole way. VERY uncomfortable. How can they put these seats so close together? They really need to take 2 rows out of this plane and provide appropriate leg room for the flying public (yes, I do understand that fares would need to increase 7% for them to be "even"). This was just ridiculous - I feel sorry for those people who are truly tall - there is no way they could even sit down!

This new configuration on the 739 is just a giant FAIL by Delta.
I am so confused by this bizarre logic. You state that this row has the same room as the rest of the plane, but this now makes the plane a horrible, giant fail? There are several planes flying around with overwing exits like this: 737-700s, MD90s, 717s. Lots of other airlines do it, too. This isn't something new. These double seats at the exit that are missing the window seat do not have a ton of room...but it is still an exit and having a double seat is much better than having a triple seat.

How can you blame Delta for a seat that has the same legroom as the rest of the plane? I know you are 6'5", but you have to realize that airlines don't design their aircraft to someone your height. 6'5" would be near the 99% of male height. I am sure Delta and other airlines plan to no more than 6'2" or 6'3" when designing aircraft.

There are solutions for people your height: The exit row in front of the one you were in. The window seat in the row behind you. Economy Comfort. First Class.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 6:05 am
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
the seats in question

So, I book an exit row seat in row 20. I thought with only 2 seats this would be a nice row to be in. BIG mistake.
Also keep in mind no recline on these 2 as well.

Old Jan 16, 2014, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Based on that pic it appears that neither of those exit rows have extra legroom, except for the window there there is no seat in front of you. I guess only the first exit row has extra legroom, but does not recline.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 6:43 am

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by brocklee9000
Yep. Same seat count, 180. But in a smaller plane, with smaller engines that are also more efficient. Oh, I just had a thought, think of the crew: look up DL pay scales for 737 pilots versus 757 pilots. In fact, look at 739 pay grades. A first-year 739 captain will be making less than a 738 captain who has been flying the plane for years. A 757 captain of 10 years will be making $20 per hour more than a first year 739 captain.
Ah, that is interesting stuff - thank you for posting it!

David
Old Jan 16, 2014, 7:36 am

Programs: Skymiles
Originally Posted by Every1 Get A Life
I am so confused by this bizarre logic. You state that this row has the same room as the rest of the plane, but this now makes the plane a horrible, giant fail? There are several planes flying around with overwing exits like this: 737-700s, MD90s, 717s. Lots of other airlines do it, too. This isn't something new. These double seats at the exit that are missing the window seat do not have a ton of room...but it is still an exit and having a double seat is much better than having a triple seat.

How can you blame Delta for a seat that has the same legroom as the rest of the plane? I know you are 6'5", but you have to realize that airlines don't design their aircraft to someone your height. 6'5" would be near the 99% of male height. I am sure Delta and other airlines plan to no more than 6'2" or 6'3" when designing aircraft.

There are solutions for people your height: The exit row in front of the one you were in. The window seat in the row behind you. Economy Comfort. First Class.
The Fail wasn't the room in the exit row... the fail is in the seat room for every standard seat. There are a lot of people my height - let's not kid ourselves.

And if the airline plans their planes to only fit people up to 6'2" in height....and given the airline experience is basically like bus service, etc.... it seems a little discriminatory if planes are not designed to handle people that tall... yes, it is a small part of the population, but so are disabled people - and we have laws to protect their access and comfort. To say "you are tall, you can buy FC" is the same as telling someone who is disabled "we will charge you more, as you take more resources to help you down the jetway with your wheelchair". That doesn't seem right.

I'm just saying that a 30" pitch is pretty ridiculous. It is easy to solve - take out 2 rows and increase prices appropriately. It doesn't make sense that airfares are basically flat over 20 years. If the entire industry did this, then we'd all be in the same spot.

OR, maybe it is time for federal regulation on seat sizes and pitch. Why not - the Fed Gov regulates just about everything else in our lives today - including forcing everyone to buy healthcare. Maybe a Federal Mandate of 32" of seat pitch for every seat on the plane? Now that would be cool.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 8:14 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
There are a lot of people my height - let's not kid ourselves.
After I had posted my previous comment, I thought maybe you were kidding ... but apparently you're not ...

6'5" puts you in approximately the 97th percentile for adult males. For females it's approximately the 100th percentile. That means only 3 out of 100 adult males and 0 out of 100 adult females are your height or taller, and that's adults, approximately 0 out of 100 children are your height or taller. In the end that means approximately 1% of the population is your height or taller.

If airlines were to start catering seat layouts to passenger's physique's, it is not seat pitch that most needs to be increased ... on a 737 five-across seating would do much more to increase comfort than increasing pitch.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 8:43 am

Programs: Delta Platinum/1MM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Delta Points
Also keep in mind no recline on these 2 as well.

Wow...that is an exit row? I can't imagine how that configuration passed the required emergency evacuation requirements. Wouldn't the lack of leg room on that row be a hindrance to people trying to quickly exit the plane?
Old Jan 16, 2014, 8:53 am
Suspended

Programs: Fly paid F and J. AA EXP. DL PM.
Originally Posted by Smaug
Wow...that is an exit row? I can't imagine how that configuration passed the required emergency evacuation requirements. Wouldn't the lack of leg room on that row be a hindrance to people trying to quickly exit the plane?
I think, and may be wrong, that is why seats A and F are missing. I.e., in exchange for a "walkway" at the specific row for people to exit, by removing the seat in front of the exit just as many people are able to exit in the required timeframe using the exit row and the row behind it.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, they were able to keep the additional rows of seats squished in. Removal of 2 seats and keeping the sardine pitch vs removing the whole row of 6 and more pitch for the 2nd row.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 9:57 am

Programs: Skymiles
Originally Posted by Beckles
After I had posted my previous comment, I thought maybe you were kidding ... but apparently you're not ...

6'5" puts you in approximately the 97th percentile for adult males. For females it's approximately the 100th percentile. That means only 3 out of 100 adult males and 0 out of 100 adult females are your height or taller, and that's adults, approximately 0 out of 100 children are your height or taller. In the end that means approximately 1% of the population is your height or taller.

If airlines were to start catering seat layouts to passenger's physique's, it is not seat pitch that most needs to be increased ... on a 737 five-across seating would do much more to increase comfort than increasing pitch.
Perception is reality my mom always says... and like I said, most of the folks I hang with (softball and hoops players) are around my size, give or take an inch.... I didn't know the stats.....

Southwest started this "race to the bottom" among airlines - they all compete to have the crappiest experience in terms of comfort. Which is why I do believe the Fed Government needs to step in and place minimum standards on seating.

Don't kid yourself - seat pitch is 30" now on these planes - how much longer will it be before they realize they can add another 5 rows if they make the seat pitch 25", and it will be rationalized that "only" 45% of the population is uncomfortable so it must be ok?

Is it wrong to tell the airlines (and it is not just Delta, although 30" is one of the shortest seat pitches in the industry) that we don't like it?
Old Jan 16, 2014, 1:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond
Post #23 in this very thread from the Delta representative says only 10% of the Economy cabin seats have 30" pitch.

Also, the new A319/320 layouts at UA are all 30" pitch in Economy. Same with the new AA A319 and E175 configurations. It is quickly becoming the new standard seat pitch in the US, yet DL only went with 10% of seats at 30" and the rest at 31" or better.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 1:51 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by Every1 Get A Life
Post #23 in this very thread from the Delta representative says only 10% of the Economy cabin seats have 30" pitch.

Also, the new A319/320 layouts at UA are all 30" pitch in Economy. Same with the new AA A319 and E175 configurations. It is quickly becoming the new standard seat pitch in the US, yet DL only went with 10% of seats at 30" and the rest at 31" or better.
Thanks for clarifying the facts and pointing that out. A lot of good info gets lost in long threads like this.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, it not just DL that is cramming in more seats... its all of the airlines squishing pax into ever increasingly uncomfortable spaces.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.