Trip Report posted by FlyerTalk member 355F1
Print Wikipost

Delta New 737-900ER Interior

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2013, 6:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Originally Posted by azeckel
I suppose at the bulkhead at least you don't have anyone reclining into you so you should be able to keep your viewing angle on the TV, right?
Going from memory the bulkhead seats screen is smaller and the leg room is NOT very good. I would avoid the AVOD for leg room
Old Nov 11, 2013, 6:30 pm

Programs: DL DM MM; HH Diamond; Starwood Plat, Lifetime Gold; Hertz President's Circle
Flew on new(10 days from delivery) 737-900 today in F ATL-DTW. Seats were nice and wide. The new TVs are huge and there are 2 power ports between the seats in front of you. USB ports are located on the tv. One thing that irked me was the fact that the TVs couldn't be adjusted/tilted to a better viewing angle when the seat in front was reclined, as they do on the 757s and 767s. There was no satellite tv or Gogo though, as it hadn't been installed yet. Was a nice ride, but wonder how long the new plane smell will last?
Old Nov 11, 2013, 6:37 pm

Programs: DL Pork Medallion, PP, GE
So have these started flying yet? I'm on one on Thursday. Seat Guru labels 1C as yellow due to limited leg room. Is it really noticeable? The only other available FC seats are not on the aisle, so it's either bulkhead aisle or non-bulkhead window.

I suppose at the bulkhead at least you don't have anyone reclining into you so you should be able to keep your viewing angle on the TV, right?
I was booking a flight home for this weekend, and one of my options was connecting through DTW on a 739 to SLC. When I came back to book the flight, that flight was no longer an option (and I can't find that route, either; must have disappeared?). I ended up picking a different routing to get home sooner. But yes, they should be flying now. I've also seen them on DL2332, replacing the 757s that normally fly LAX to SLC, as early as 4 December, and I've seen them pop up on flights I've searched for in the upcoming months.
Old Nov 13, 2013, 3:02 pm
Company Representative - Delta Air Lines

Programs: Delta SkyMiles
Originally Posted by Delta Points
Going from memory the bulkhead seats screen is smaller and the leg room is NOT very good. I would avoid the AVOD for leg room
The bulkhead monitors are the same size as the other FC monitors -- 11".
Old Nov 14, 2013, 9:20 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
I am booked on one of these for my MR . I am hoping that the AVOD & GOGO are functional.
Old Nov 14, 2013, 11:55 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG AMB, National EE
Delta New 737-900ER Interior

Had my flight this afternoon LAX - DTW. The monitors are really pretty nice. Same software as the other internationally equipped planes I've been on domestically, but the response time was waaaay better. It's nice now that they work at the gate when you board. You can get pretty far into a movie before takeoff. Very annoying with all the commercials and announcements that happen during climb out, however. Also, no working wifi ("yet" - so claimed the FA)

As for the bulkhead, the legroom isn't great. It should be noted that the A/B side has a foot cutout of about 6" that the C/D side does not in row 1. Still, if the tilted monitors are that bad from someone reclining, you won't have that problem in the bulkhead.

In general, it seems to have all the bells and whistles (and that new plane smell!). The pilot mentioned new lighting in the back (??) and new controls for them up front, so they seem to like it too. One thing that is odd is that the overhead bins pull down like in the center aisles of the 767. And they seem really small. I have a standard size rollerboard (actually I think it's a bit smaller than some of the monstrosities I see folks lugging onto planes) and it was a bit challenging to get it to fit even sideways. Not sure what that's about but I assume on international legs, not as many folks are carrying on rollerboards as on domestic legs.
Old Nov 15, 2013, 7:37 am
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Originally Posted by Chris_DeltaCustExp
The bulkhead monitors are the same size as the other FC monitors -- 11".
Thanks Chris, yes, should have looked at my photos I did not post before:

Full resolution photo is HERE.

Had my flight this afternoon LAX - DTW. The monitors are really pretty nice. Same software as the other internationally equipped planes I've been on domestically, but the response time was waaaay better. It's nice now that they work at the gate when you board. You can get pretty far into a movie before takeoff. Very annoying with all the commercials and announcements that happen during climb out, however. Also, no working wifi ("yet" - so claimed the FA)

As for the bulkhead, the legroom isn't great. It should be noted that the A/B side has a foot cutout of about 6" that the C/D side does not in row 1. Still, if the tilted monitors are that bad from someone reclining, you won't have that problem in the bulkhead.

In general, it seems to have all the bells and whistles (and that new plane smell!). The pilot mentioned new lighting in the back (??) and new controls for them up front, so they seem to like it too. One thing that is odd is that the overhead bins pull down like in the center aisles of the 767. And they seem really small. I have a standard size rollerboard (actually I think it's a bit smaller than some of the monstrosities I see folks lugging onto planes) and it was a bit challenging to get it to fit even sideways. Not sure what that's about but I assume on international legs, not as many folks are carrying on rollerboards as on domestic legs.
I really dislike the leg room in row one and the cutout only goes part way. 1B gets full access but NOT 1A. Nothing on the other side!

Old Nov 15, 2013, 8:19 am

Programs: DL DM; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Delta Points
Thanks Chris, yes, should have looked at my photos I did not post before:

I really dislike the leg room in row one and the cutout only goes part way. 1B gets full access but NOT 1A. Nothing on the other side!

Is the picture above a First class bulkhead??
Old Nov 15, 2013, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Wow that is really poor legroom at the bulkhead. You'd have more in an EC seat.
Old Nov 15, 2013, 3:20 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Global Entry, Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
One thing that is odd is that the overhead bins pull down like in the center aisles of the 767. And they seem really small. I have a standard size rollerboard (actually I think it's a bit smaller than some of the monstrosities I see folks lugging onto planes) and it was a bit challenging to get it to fit even sideways. Not sure what that's about but I assume on international legs, not as many folks are carrying on rollerboards as on domestic legs.
Because of fuselage taper, the front bins are smaller than the others on the plane.
Old Nov 15, 2013, 3:44 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by 14940674
Because of fuselage taper, the front bins are smaller than the others on the plane.
Right. The pivot bins elsewhere are supposed to actually be a significant improvement in space efficiency.
Old Nov 16, 2013, 9:27 am

Originally Posted by 14940674
Good to know. I never made it behind row 1
Old Nov 21, 2013, 10:12 am

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
I will chime in with my $0.02USD worth on the new aircraft.
  1. A full 739ER takes a looooooong time to board.
  2. I like the new pivot bins. Downside is that when you are ready to exit the aircraft, you risk hitting somebody on the head if you open the bins without looking carefully.
  3. I think 5C/5D have limited recline due to the hard bulkhead/closet behind those seats.
  4. I like the new TVs, and the entertainment system worked flawlessly (unlike the ones on the 757s and 763s).
  5. Perhaps the seats are shorter, but it seems to me that the TV is mounted lower and the viewing angle was awkward for me. And it would be nicer if the screen would tilt out.
  6. Every time the guy in front of me moved around, his seatback would move up and down by some inches thereby moving the TV around. I guess that's another "feature" of the slim-line seats, which in general seem less sturdy than their predecessor seats.
  7. The FC lavatory is pretty small.

GoGo was not available, as the certification is delayed due to the government shutdown. And it hadn't occurred to anybody that maybe they should remove the GoGo fliers from the seatback pockets.

In general, it's a nice shiny new aircraft, but I will really miss the 757s.

David
Old Nov 21, 2013, 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by DiverDave
The FC lavatory is pretty small.
But it has like 360 degree mirrors!
Old Nov 22, 2013, 12:43 pm
Company Representative - Delta Air Lines

Programs: Delta SkyMiles
Originally Posted by DiverDave
I will chime in with my $0.02USD worth on the new aircraft.
  1. The FC lavatory is pretty small.

GoGo was not available, as the certification is delayed due to the government shutdown. And it hadn't occurred to anybody that maybe they should remove the GoGo fliers from the seatback pockets.

In general, it's a nice shiny new aircraft, but I will really miss the 757s.

David
The FC lav is a Boeing standard lav...exactly the same size at all other B737NG FC lavs.

Hopefully Wi-Fi installations will begin next month...we're as anxious for the product to be onboard as you are

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.