Trip Report posted by FlyerTalk member tvnwz

Trip Report posted by FlyerTalk member 355F1
Print Wikipost

Delta New 737-900ER Interior

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2013, 6:57 pm

Programs: The Dastardly Quintet.
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Have you tried to call DL, explain the situation, and ask to be rebooked onto flights with wifi? This would seem reasonable if DL is advertising wifi on all domestic mainline flights or if your flight had the wifi icon when you purchased the ticket.
Yep. After my work was done, but before I left for the night, I had the time to make that call. I have to say, I'll be the 1st to rant when DL pulls something away from my plate, but I also must give kudos when they're due:

I got through to a front-line CSR, who understood the issue completely. However, because of the newness and rarity of the issue, she was not empowered to correct it herself. She immediately escalated my call to special services, where the CSR was able to put us on the non-stop to SFO. Because we were originally routed through LAX, this required yet another level of supervisor approval, but it was taken care of within 10 mins of placing the call. AMAZING CS!

DL really does have the BEST CS of all the domestics I've flown. Their employees make it really easy to forgive some of the "enhancements". ..not all the "enhancements", but some.

The bad news is, I will not be giving a report on the new bird.

The other bad news is, we have NO chance at an upgrade on the 320. Only 3 seats left; GF has no status, and based on the seat map, lots of Medallions on the new flight. Darn! <kicks foot at imaginary stone> Ah, well. I'll take the NS over the slight chance of UG on the bigger plane.

Last edited by NapaPatTours; Nov 5, 2013 at 7:14 pm Reason: added more "bad news" ;)
Old Nov 5, 2013, 6:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by jrkmsp
Quote:

Originally Posted by NotHamSarnie

The blasting of commercials is the thing that will drive me away for good. They've added one extra commercial to the set after take-off (or on taxi), increased the volume from irritating to intolerable, and then on my most recent flight, they blasted another one just before landing.

Do AA or UA blast commercials into the cabin? I haven't taken their big birds recently, just RJs. I need to find an international J carrier that doesn't bring me out in hives with this abomination.

I've gone from liking to hating Delta in the last year or so.

Really? A few minutes of commercials bother you that much? If they're really loud, that's one thing. And I'm sure Chris wants to know that. But let's save the outrage for real indignations. At worst, the commercials are a minor annoyance.
At takeoff and landing is one thing but many have reported commercials randomly interrupting the movie they're trying to watch. That is unacceptable.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 6:59 pm

Programs: The Dastardly Quintet.
Originally Posted by HongKonger
DL is preparing for its merger with RyanAir.
Oh, dear...
Old Nov 5, 2013, 7:04 pm

Programs: DL DM; DL AMEX Reserve; HHonors Gold
It's a trend that started when DL ripped that fourth row of FC out of the PMNW A319s, followed by the PMNW A320s. Yet at the same time, a few FC seats were being added to some of the DL MDs.
Precisely why I'm thankful that most of the flights to/from AUS are on MD, CR9 and (until the mods) 757s. Not a fan of those airbii...
Old Nov 5, 2013, 7:05 pm

Programs: DL DM PM
Really? A few minutes of commercials bother you that much? If they're really loud, that's one thing. And I'm sure Chris wants to know that. But let's save the outrage for real indignations. At worst, the commercials are a minor annoyance.
Yes, they do bother me that much. Seriously, you've paid for your ticket and are a captive audience. So DL makes yet more money off you by virtue of having you captive in your seat while they charge their ad customers to blast crap at you. It's disgusting.

I don't really care about anything else (except perfume) but I don't minimize other people's annoyance at other things. I'm a very easy flyer with respect to other people and what the FAs do and don't do. But the commercials make me homicidal (really, I want to rip every seat out of the plane when they start). I don't watch commercials at home, ever. So there is the noise pollution aspect. Then there is the aspect of paying thousands of dollars to sit in BE and still be subjected to LCC-type bottom-line shilling by DL.

Shareholders are not the only stakeholders. Customers are stakeholders too. Treating us like some kind of endless well, or ham sandwich, is a disgrace.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Off topic, but on the comments about commercials I was getting those while in BE a few weeks ago coming back from NRT. When I would navigate through the movie list and flight map, every now and then a commercial window would pop up with no way to skip or close it. Extremely annoying.

Regarding the 757 mods, I wonder if the mid cabin lav and galley are being removed in order to squeeze in a few more rows of Y and get the sandwich count up to 199.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 8:04 pm

Programs: DL PM
Are the ads via headphone or speaker? One of my biggest pet peeves on B6 was that the ad volume completely overrode the volume setting you had on the headsets - I had ringing in my ears a few times from how loud it was via my headphones.

I second that adding additional ads when you already pay for a ticket is very annoying; but it's a major $$$ maker for the company (be it Delta or the movie theaters).
Old Nov 5, 2013, 8:26 pm

Programs: DL DM PM
Originally Posted by jb008
Are the ads via headphone or speaker? One of my biggest pet peeves on B6 was that the ad volume completely overrode the volume setting you had on the headsets - I had ringing in my ears a few times from how loud it was via my headphones.

I second that adding additional ads when you already pay for a ticket is very annoying; but it's a major $$$ maker for the company (be it Delta or the movie theaters).
The ads are over the speakers before take-off and at landing. Then in BE on long flights they come through the headphones while you are watching programming. Makes you feel really special in your flat-bed seat with your heavenly bedding and business class service.

I don't give a toss about DL making money above what I'm giving them. I don't give them permission to assault my eardrums. I pay them to transport me from A to B. In the case of movie theaters, I don't bother showing up until 20 minutes after the program starts so that I can avoid it. No such luck with flights. I'm willing and able to pay not to hear this crap but I have no option, no matter how much my ticket costs.

I wish I could stop flying altogether, and this comes from someone who loves flying and even the experience of airports, taxiing, looking at planes, flights taking off, ground operations. You're right this is off-topic, but reading about the experience FTers are having with the discomfort on the latest 737 rekits is all in the same vein of squeezing us for everything they can.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 8:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
The news about the 757s going to 20F and 199 total is pretty disappointing. These currently are my favorite aircraft in the domestic fleet however with these upcoming "enhancements" they sound as though they will be just as unpleasant as the 737 fleet.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 8:48 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by rylan
Off topic, but on the comments about commercials I was getting those while in BE a few weeks ago coming back from NRT. When I would navigate through the movie list and flight map, every now and then a commercial window would pop up with no way to skip or close it. Extremely annoying.

Regarding the 757 mods, I wonder if the mid cabin lav and galley are being removed in order to squeeze in a few more rows of Y and get the sandwich count up to 199.
If they want to take up my valuable time with their commercial blather they should pay me for my time.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 9:37 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
It's a trend that started when DL ripped that fourth row of FC out of the PMNW A319s, followed by the PMNW A320s. Yet at the same time, a few FC seats were being added to some of the DL MDs.
Chris all-but-confirmed upthread that the 320s would be going back to 16F. So, as Delta giveth, Delta taketh away.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 9:38 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by HongKonger
At takeoff and landing is one thing but many have reported commercials randomly interrupting the movie they're trying to watch. That is unacceptable.
Agree with you there. No commercials randomly interrupting a task. That's totally unacceptable.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 10:06 pm

Programs: DL PM
Agree with you there. No commercials randomly interrupting a task. That's totally unacceptable.
If you have experienced this first hand - anyone - there is a direct email address given on the system information screen I believe to give feedback. It's [email protected].

I sent in a report of my experience with the system on the 739 and got a personal reply within 10 minutes. Asked for my seat and flight details and promised to pass along to the right teams.

Regardless of whether it makes an impact, and if they hear enough about the ads maybe it will, this was great CS and made me feel like they were at least listening.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 11:56 pm

Programs: Fly paid F/J. DL 2MM+.
Originally Posted by Chris_DeltaCustExp
The screens do not tilt and cannot due to seat certification requirements, however these are Panasonic's latest generation Eco monitors which offer a 60 degree viewing angle.
We don't care. Extremely poor execution on the whole cabin.

It's "Panasonic's latest generation"... it... does... NOT... matter!! Your customers can't see it. It is NOT a good experience for the customer. Your comment is just DUMB and is insulting to the very people who provide revenue to the company that ultimately provides you a paycheck... i.e., YOUR CUSTOMERS!! They can't see the darn monitor!!

And just what are the "seat certification requirements"? Could it be perhaps that the pitch be greater than the tight 37" Delta offers in its "premium" cabin? And while we're on the topic of domestic first class pitch, 37" is the lowest in the market. Less than US Airways. Congratulations Delta, you won the race to the bottom!

I realize you are just the messenger. However Delta has proven once again it does not know jack s#!+ about how to attract high value customers.

I was a loyal Delta flyer for years. I firmly believe Delta's competitive advantage is its best-in-the-industry, outstanding front line workers. However the amateur product offering (ground, inflight, loyalty), cafeteria style Sky Clubs and horrendous IT drove me away. Richard Anderson's talent appears to be better suited for building mobile home parks, not running a "beeg glo bull ayer lion."

Last edited by KeepDeltaMyDelta; Nov 6, 2013 at 12:09 am
Old Nov 6, 2013, 12:04 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by KeepDeltaMyDeltaFireRichardAnderson
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris_DeltaCustExp

The screens do not tilt and cannot due to seat certification requirements, however these are Panasonic's latest generation Eco monitors which offer a 60 degree viewing angle.

We don't care. Extremely poor execution on the whole cabin.

It's &quot;Panasonic's latest generation&quot;... it... does... NOT... matter!! Your customers can't see it. It is NOT a good experience for the customer. Your comment is just DUMB and is insulting to the very people who provide revenue to the company that ultimately provides you a paycheck... i.e., YOUR CUSTOMERS!! They can't see the darn monitor!!

And just what are the &quot;seat certification requirements&quot;? Could it be perhaps that the pitch be greater than the tight 37&quot; Delta offers in its &quot;premium&quot; cabin? And while we're on the topic of domestic first class pitch, 37&quot; is the lowest in the market. Less than US Airways. Congratulations Delta, you won the race to the bottom!

I realize you are just the messenger. However Delta has proven once again it does not know jack s!+ about how to attract high value customers.

I was a loyal Delta flyer for years. I firmly believe Delta's competitive advantage is its best-in-the-industry, outstanding front line workers. However the amateur product offering (ground, inflight, loyalty), cafeteria style Sky Clubs and horrendous IT drove me away. Richard Anderson's talent appears to be better suited for building mobile home parks, not running a &quot;beeg glo bull ayer lion.&quot;
This is a bit much but I completely agree that screens that don't tilt so they cant be seen when the person in front reclines is very stupid and a serious failure of product design. Unacceptable in Y let alone "first class."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.