Wiki Posts
Search

infants no longer allowed to preboard

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2013, 11:18 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Le Club Accorhotels Platinum, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by puddinhead
Having paid more and getting pushed aside by someone who thinks having a 10 YO entitles them to special treatment is annoying.
Pushed aside? Just don't allow it (like you did) - the airline does not really encourage one type of passengers pushing aside another type by having different boarding groups. If they missed their boarding group they will have to board with the next group and not push aside anyone. If they were trying to pre-board and could not get to the gate due to people blocking the path to the gate and ignoring a request to allow them through - than this is just wrong. It's up to the GA to enforce boarding sequence, not pax.

I don't think the amount you have paid vs what they paid is feasible to compare in order to find out who should board first .

Last edited by VladQ; Aug 29, 2013 at 11:24 pm
Old Aug 30, 2013, 7:47 am

No pre-boarding for childredn, infants anymore. I was on a UA flight and they told us that they dont do any pre-boarding for small children anymore.
They even changed the announcmenet. If I remember right they are saying "ppl with disabilities and elderly." Though those group pre-board even first class
Old Aug 30, 2013, 7:59 am

Originally Posted by mspphl
In ATL last week I overheard part of a conversation between two parents with a car seat and the GA as they were starting to board the flight. The GA said something about the FAA having a new rule about pre-boarding and wouldn't let the parents on. Not sure what the exact situation was.
So, why does the FAA care about who pre-boards? I would think that this would (should) be an airline specific decision.

I've traveled with kids from a few months on up, I think it's reasonable to pre-board up to around 3-4 y.o., things just sometimes take longer. Better to have them in their seats with the movie started or snacks and out of the way while others board. Just going to slow things down. My 2c.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 9:31 am

Programs: Delta GM, Hilton HHonors Gold, Amex Plat, F9 Summit
Originally Posted by WebTraveler
Nope. but babies need attention and want attention. They will be in their mother or father's lap throughout the flight anyway.

You will see someday if you are ever fortunate to have kids.
I've got a daughter and she has been flying since 3 months old always in a seat or now with the cares harness. Hasn't been a problem.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 9:35 am

Programs: DL MM Gold
Originally Posted by biostatistician
So, why does the FAA care about who pre-boards?
Some GAs and many FAs invoke the FAA (or TSA) incorrectly when they're spouting a personally-invented or airline-specific rule. It encourages mindless compliance. Who's going to push back when the maker of the rule isn't there to engage in conversation?
Old Aug 30, 2013, 9:38 am

Programs: Delta DM, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, SPG Gold, National EC Executive, Delta Amex Reserve
On a plane from Vegas and they pre-boarded about 15 people that looked perfectly healthy...
Old Aug 30, 2013, 9:48 am

Programs: Skymiles, MPL Chase Premier
Originally Posted by makos
No pre-boarding for childredn, infants anymore. I was on a UA flight and they told us that they dont do any pre-boarding for small children anymore
UA never did for what i can recall. There are agents in the UA system (I can think of two myself...) that recite the Delta pre-board announcement during a UA pre-board announcement, so that can lead to confusion.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 10:32 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold
I can see the need to some to pre board, but for us when traveling with our son the strategy has been to board as late as possible. That way there's less sitting still and potential to bother others (and the parents!). This is especially true TATL when boarding can start an hour ahead of time. And if there's a need for overhead space, one of us boards and the other walks (runs) around the terminal a bit longer.
Old Sep 2, 2013, 10:42 pm

Programs: Diamond Medallion, Delta Million Miler, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by VladQ
Agree about the 10 y.o. (they should really enforce 2 y.o. restriction instead), but what that has to do with $4K+ business class ticket? Are you really willing to pay hundreds or thousands for the benefit of getting into your seat 5-10 earlier?
If you don't understand the logic, then I doubt I'll be able to explain it to you. Do you really not comprehend or are you just saying that for FT effect?
Old Sep 10, 2013, 11:15 am

Programs: AA LTP, Bonvoy Titanium; AA CK before I retired
At ATL yesterday the gate agent specifically referred to a new FAA policy. But I've not heard any other airline doing this, and no other airline board on FlyerTalk has an open thread about it (so far as I can tell). Has anyone actually seen an FAA document?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.